Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Tongue Jack

I'm looking into installing an electric tongue jack on my 265RLSW SLX, GVWR is 7,500 lbs. what jack do you recommend and should I be looking at a 3500 or 4500lbs capacity jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamonZ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

IMO, either should have enough capacity (7,500 X .15 = 1,125).

Some folks have complained about interference between their electric jack and their truck's tailgate. You might see if that might be an issue with the different jacks.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Most Elec.Jacks can be turned 90 or 180 Degrees for tailgate clearance. Just take the head off and remove the 5/16 or 8mm bolt. and turn it to next position and install bolt again.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! I know the jack could lift the tongue, I was just wondering about the tongue, hitch & bars, and back of the truck when lifting high to take tension off the WD bars. Thanks for the info on turning the jack for clearance. I just saw that on the Longlong Honeymoon YouTube channel.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #5

Barker VIP3500. I've run this brand / model jack on all of our travel trailers, plus on kin folks rigs. There may be some other good ones, but I've had great luck with the American made Barker. Great company.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #6

I bought this on Amazon. Works great. nice price. plenty of power

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #7

How much difference is there in cost between the big one and smaller one?

Personally I would go with the bigger one but in terms of how much it is lifting, what is your tongue weight? You should know where you are at with that. Then add in the weight of the hitch and how much you think the back of the truck is.

Ball park numbers, I would say your tongue weight with hitch is about 1100 lbs but we have no way of knowing how you are loaded. That leaves 2400 lbs for the back of the truck if you went with the smaller jack. You probably are not lifting it fully off the ground though.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

The experience of others may be different, but I typically do not lift the rear of the truck with the tongue jack as it is the removal of the tongue weight which allows the rear of the truck to return to it's unloaded height. If there is any lift on the rear of the truck while unhitching, it would be less than a couple of hundred pounds. Therefore all I would be concerned with is your maximum TT tongue weight.

When shopping for tongue jacks, you may want to look into the speed at which they raise and lower under full load. The heavier rated jack may just have different gearing with same motor and controls, but motor might not work as hard and have more durability in the heavier model if the price is comparable.

There are a few other threads by members who have replaced their electric jacks on similar sized trailers which might assist your shopping.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
The experience of others may be different, but I typically do not lift the rear of the truck with the tongue jack as it is the removal of the tongue weight which allows the rear of the truck to return to it's unloaded height. If there is any lift on the rear of the truck while unhitching, it would be less than a couple of hundred pounds. Therefore all I would be concerned with is your maximum TT tongue weight.
I lift the rear of the truck as it makes it much easier and safer to install the WD Hitch spring bars. By lifting up on the rear of the TV it takes the tension out of the bars so the tool doesn't snap down/around when unhooking and makes it easy enough that my wife who lacks my upper body strength to completely hook up the camper even if I am not around.

I don't lift the truck off the ground by any means but lifting it up a bit helps a lot. When it can be done with a push of the button, why not.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

[emoji848] I could change my back tires on the truck by hitching up to the trailer if the jack could lift it...not bad. Just kidding!!!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

I lift the tongue pretty high now to release the tension on the WD bars. That's why I'm looking into a power jack. All the cranking kills my shoulders, already rotator cuff surgery on one side, now the other shoulder is going to need it.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #12

Since the OP already got an answer to his question and this thread already took a bit of a turn may I ask another question about Jacks?

I know that if I pull the jack up too high I can hit that safety bar and blow my fuse. What happens if I extend the jack too far? Does it just stop? Do I blow the fuse again? Is there a line on the column that will appear so I know I am close?

thanks!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote