Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #1

Too much voltage in the campground

My Progressive EMS tripped in the early hours this morning from over-voltage. The unit trips at 132 volts, and the pedestal was providing 135 volts. The camp manager told me that the utility recently adjusted the incoming camp voltage, at a time when the campground was full. Today, there's only a few campers here. Between 7AM and 9AM, the EMS was in and out a few times. Now at 10AM the voltage is 128. The camp manager is going to contact the utility again.
I notice the Hughes Autoformer is for boosting voltage only, not the other way.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Is the autoformer boosting the voltage up to that level, or is that the voltage right at the pedestal, before all your equipment?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
My Progressive EMS tripped in the early hours this morning from over-voltage. The unit trips at 132 volts, and the pedestal was providing 135 volts. The camp manager told me that the utility recently adjusted the incoming camp voltage, at a time when the campground was full. Today, there's only a few campers here. Between 7AM and 9AM, the EMS was in and out a few times. Now at 10AM the voltage is 128. The camp manager is going to contact the utility again.

This may seem like a silly question, but if you were not running the EMS, what would have happened with the pedestal at 135v for a few seconds ?

What I mean is, there is a normal variance of 10% or so, right? And the typical EMS trips outside that norm, higher or lower. but in practical terms, what are the very short term ramifications of 135v instead of 132 or 120. It may be an academic question.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Too much voltage in the campground

I was having a high voltage problem at my seasonal site.. it only spiked when my neighbor showed up and put his AC on.. my progressive would shut me down because my voltage would hit 133.. it would level out anywhere from 20 minutes to a half hour later and my power would come back on.
CG moved my power to a separate breaker (we were sharing a breaker at master GC panel).. it seems to have fixed the problem as my neighbor was here this past weekend and my power was fine all weekend.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
This may seem like a silly question, but if you were not running the EMS, what would have happened with the pedestal at 135v for a few seconds ?

What I mean is, there is a normal variance of 10% or so, right? And the typical EMS trips outside that norm, higher or lower. but in practical terms, what are the very short term ramifications of 135v instead of 132 or 120. It may be an academic question.

Damage in an over voltage event can bake electronics, depending on their design characteristics, in 1 full cycle, 1/60th of a second.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #6

Yep, I saw a guy that did not have an EMS get his neutral prong on his 30 amp cord melted. Dont know how High the voltage went but my Surge Gusrd disconnected my power as it started happening.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Damage in an over voltage event can bake electronics, depending on their design characteristics, in 1 full cycle, 1/60th of a second.
I understand.

I am asking about 135v event on a shore powered RV.

Many EMS have settled on 10% under and over, and I am just sort of looking for why. It would also be interesting to see the distribution of over voltage events by voltage. Would 11% cause no damage but relieve a few headaches? How about 15%?
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Is the autoformer boosting the voltage up to that level, or is that the voltage right at the pedestal, before all your equipment?
I measured 135 volts at the pedestal. I do not own an autoformer.

Quote:
I understand.
Many EMS have settled on 10% under and over, and I am just sort of looking for why. It would also be interesting to see the distribution of over voltage events by voltage. Would 11% cause no damage but relieve a few headaches? How about 15%?
It's a generally accepted in the industry that US house voltage is 120 volts +\-10%.
And because electrical equipment designers also work to this standard, you can be assured of proper operation. If you use voltage outside this range, it may or may not work, or you may or may not shorten the life of the equipment. The risk is yours.

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 07-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
I understand.

In the United States and Canada, national standards specify that the nominal voltage at the source should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 V to 126 V (RMS) (−5% to +5%). Historically 110 V, 115 V and 117 V have been used at different times and places in North America.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
UPDATE:
Later in the evening, the voltage was back down to 118 volts, so I suppose the utility did their thing while we were down at the pool. The over-voltage condition did not recur the next 2 mornings.

It was interesting to note that there were more than two mobile RV repair trucks in the campground the following day.

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #11

Glad things worked out. A progressive industries EMS or similar is cheap insurance...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #12

Just a thought- what if an EMS was capable of staying on, but keeping the voltage within safe limits? That would be the ticket. The way it works now is that if voltage goes over/under a certain amount, it shuts down for a while, saving your electronics. But you have no electricity either. I don't know much about electricity, but can't they make a pro-active EMS?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Just a thought- what if an EMS was capable of staying on, but keeping the voltage within safe limits? That would be the ticket. The way it works now is that if voltage goes over/under a certain amount, it shuts down for a while, saving your electronics. But you have no electricity either. I don't know much about electricity, but can't they make a pro-active EMS?
Yes, it can be done. Many years ago I bought a voltage regulator for the company computers which could adjust voltage up or down, but it only had a 10 amp capacity.

The only automatic devices currently available for RVs adjust voltage up, but not down.

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 07-27-2020, 06:02 AM   #14

Quote:
I understand.

I use a buck/boost transformer not an auto former. I boost 15%. I am looking at 138 volts as we speak and most of the time. There wiring is so bad where i am is so bad it drops to 124 volt when i turn on the A/C. the problem is not with the electronic, They have a wide range of acceptance. The problem is with the A/c compressor motor.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #15

When we are in a campground hooked up to shore power , and before a lighting storm starts , I disconnect from shore power. And use my generator. Why??? Because last year we had a lightning/thunderstorm come and lightning struck the campsite across the road from us. Lucky I was all ready Disconnected using my generator. Because when the storm was gone 5 campsite’s had damage from the lightning strike. Damage was anything from surge protectors being broke to microwaves, A/C’s , TV’s not working,,it was a Circus to hear about the damage.. Yes I Know it is PITA to do this but Better Safe than Sorry....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:

Where was this camp ground so we might avoid it in the future?
Iadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #17

I thought I was having an issue with my Progressive EMS shutting off at home, brand new install of 30amp circuit and receptacle. I contacted them, and got some instruction on adjusting the displayed voltage to match actual voltage. Take off the cover of the EMS, on the circuit board near were the voltage display plugs into the main board there is a small blue plastic piece with a small screw in it. Set your multimeter to AC volts, test the incoming voltage, if it matches, then unit is calibrated. If they don’t match, then turn that little screw (I believe clockwise is up and counter clockwise lowers voltage, but might have that backwards) and make it match the meter.
Mine needed minor adjustment.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #18

I know you don’t have one but Do all these auto transformers increase the demand for voltage/amperage? If enough people have them wont they effect an entire small grid like a campground? Just curious.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iadave View Post
Where was this camp ground so we might avoid it in the future?

Williamsport South / Nittany Mtn. KOA in central PA.

Actually, it looked they were doing a lot of running new electric feeds to the sites.

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 08-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I know you don’t have one but Do all these auto transformers increase the demand for voltage/amperage? If enough people have them wont they effect an entire small grid like a campground? Just curious.

A transformer (or autoformer) makes the power suitable for your use in the camper, but it does have a loss, so it does pull a bit more power from the campsite grid.

2000 Jeep Sahara