Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

Tool Recommendations

FW is getting to the two year old point and has a lot of miles on it...so several inside trim pieces are pulling away from the walls/windows....Brat nails not holding. Also some of the screws on the slide frames are no longer "catching"
so thinking of replacing with rivets.

Since I know nothing about Brat nailers so thought I would seek some recommendations/thoughts on what type/brand to use and while at it
what type/brand rivet tool recommendations does anyone have.
Looking for electric Brat nailer, but if compressed air versions are better, will consider that...

Thanks in advance.

TP
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #2

You can get an electric brad nailer but they are very expensive. It would be cheaper to get an air nailer/stapler and an inexpensive compressor. You may find other uses for the compressor. Don't go too small on the compressor. Harbor Freight has a 3-gal compressor for $50 and a nailer/stapler for $30. With discounts, you should be able to do better.
Use staples instead of brads where you can. The staples hold a bit better. You will have a mark where the staples get set. A bit of color matching wood putty might make it neater.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #3

Cheaper yet and more stability....cyanocrylic glue (CA glue). A little dab 'l do. I use the stuff for building crown molding, trim builds etc. and for fine trim work in my woodworking shop. Titebond Instant Bond wood adhesive is my go to, but there are others. HD, Lowes, ACE etc. all have the stuff. It's not the same as super glue, do not substitute. If you are impatient waiting for 10 second bonding, there's a number of instant set spray products that literally instant set the stuff, no waiting. It's expensive, but I found the exact same stuff in much cheaper packaging (Bob Smith Insta-Set) at a craft store and that's what I now use. Now if you really want a stapler/nailer and compressor.....you can still use this stuff. Suspenders and belt sort of thing.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote