Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Is the problem with Tow Max tires real ?
Yes, had them, had problem, never buy them again. 15 19.48%
Yes, had or have them, never had a problem. 39 50.65%
Never had them 18 23.38%
I have no idea what kind of tires I have 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That's my point. People complain and say they've had problems. But no one wants to be bothered to report it. So from where I sit, there isn't enough hard evidence to tell me I should be worried.

You are the first one I've seen to state a truly logical reason for swapping the tires out. Usually people say they do it because of what "people on the Internet" said about "Blowmax" tires. Which in my opinion is a very poor reason for swapping them out.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm dumping my Tow Max tires because two of them failed two weeks ago, and they are not yet three years old and have minimal miles on them. My trailer will be completely void of Tow Max tires when I begin my next trip.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm dumping my Tow Max tires because two of them failed two weeks ago, and they are not yet three years old and have minimal miles on them. My trailer will be completely void of Tow Max tires when I begin my next trip.
I'm not questioning your reasons for swapping them out. You aren't doing it because someone on the 'Net told you to, you are because you had problems.

What I don't understand is why not report it? Adding to the complaint list will give the NHTSA a reason to investigate. If there's truly a problem, maybe you can help contribute to a possible recall.

For my part, I'm just not seeing a good reason to change out my tires.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #23
Site Team

FWIW this is my thought on this.
I think the reason we here about so many problems with the Towmax tire is because "just a guess here" but about 90% of all new TT leave the factory with them. So to me it stands to reason that with so many of these tires on the road that we would here about more people having problems with them v/s the "better" tires that fewer people are using.
I have had towmax tires on my past two TT with no problems as of yet.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #24

I have searched but cant find data on the # of tires produced for US consumption by Good Year and Tow MAX (Power King)

a ratio of # produced to failures reported will certainly give us a better picture

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
FWIW this is my thought on this.
I think the reason we here about so many problems with the Towmax tire is because "just a guess here" but about 90% of all new TT leave the factory with them. So to me it stands to reason that with so many of these tires on the road that we would here about more people having problems with them v/s the "better" tires that fewer people are using.
I have had towmax tires on my past two TT with no problems as of yet.
That's good logic. However, I don't think this is a tire brand problem. I think it's a specification issue. Most TT leave the factory at or close to max load range of running gear. Axle and tire issues are always at the top of issues with TT. I believe many people upgrade load range when they replace tires and this could also be a factor in why other brands don't yield the same results.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #26

I've got them on my 2013 X20E. No problems to date. I watch them diligently and have TPMS system on them to hopefully help indicate if I am about to have a problem. That said, I have researched and read so much about what not to like about the TOW MAX tires but I've yet to find anything that states my smaller 13" (I think) wheel sizes have any issues. Most of the complaints I've read online all seem to be about 15" or larger tires that have the majority of failures IMO.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Most TT leave the factory at or close to max load range of running gear.
I have to wonder too how many folks are overloaded and don't even know it. How many people exceed the 65 mph speed limitation of the tires? We have no way to know the answers to either of these questions. And few people would admit to either when complaining online.

I run just over 60 mph. Judging from the number of trailers that fly by me on the Interstate, I have to believe a fair number of blowouts occur from overheating.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
Site Team

IMO the tires and axles should be rated at the very least to carry the ENTIRE GVWR of the trailer, and not assume X amount of LBS. will be on the tongue. This may lead to better tire and axle results...
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
IMO the tires and axles should be rated at the very least to carry the ENTIRE GVWR of the trailer, and not assume X amount of LBS. will be on the tongue. This may lead to better tire and axle results...
Yep, if the world was flat then the tongue weight takeaway might make sense. But since its round and hilly static tongue weight is a myth.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
So far I have approx. 4500 miles on the Towmax Tires 205/75R15 and do every month a round trip of 500 mi/800 km. Speed is max 63 mi/100 km an hour. Check at every stop the temp of the tires and bearing hubs. So far this has been in mild outside temperatures and will see how this is in hotter summer temps. My running gear is approx. 75% from the max. and I am not maxed out in GVWR.
Isn't there a saying; "Speed Kills"? So it will a tire if not operated within its specifications.

Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote