Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer battery wiring

I purchased a used (2000) Kiwi 23b hybrid without the battery and I am installing a new one. Without an old hook-up, I'm at a quandry as to witch wires go where from the harness. I assume the red wire is the (+) positive connection - that seems to be fairly universal. I have, however, two white wires from the harness below the frame. One 10 gauge that is long enough to reach the (-) terminal and one 8 guage that is too short to reach the top of the battery. Is this a frame ground? If not, where does this connect?

Thanks for your help,

Jim Garrison
Meridian, MS
jeanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

Usually in RVs from my experience at the battery the red and black are used as the hot wire (+), and white wires are the neutral/ground (-). On my HTT I have two wires to the Positive terminal and one to the neutral (as I recall). The neutral goes to the frame. On the positive terminal the lighter gauge wire goes to the emergency brakeaway controller, and the other heavier 8 gauge wire goes to the main wire harness.

Personally I would spend a few minutes and trace each wire back to where it goes. Also if you are connected to shore power there will be about 13.5 volts on the positive wire, as the converter in the trailer keeps the battery charged when connected to shore power.

I would recommend going to a NAPA like store and picking up an inline fuse holder for a 30 amp fuse, along with a pack of spare fuses. If you go somewhere like Walmart they have similar fuse holders but they are not rated for the amp draw. When the TT is in storage (aka not connected to shore power) for more than a few days, then remove the fuse so you do not drain your battery down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote