Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer Electric Brake Wiring

Need some help rewiring my brakes. The wife's puppy chewed the wire off of one wheel. I know the blue is hot etc., just don't see in the Dexter manual if it matters which wire coming from the brake backing plate is hot. Not color coded at the wheel. It is a 2014 Octane T29A, dual 6,000 axle's, brakes on all 4 wheels. I'm just glad the pup left me enough wire that I can splice it all back together!
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have an immediate answer for you..., but if you contact Jayco Customer Support (have VIN handy) they may send you the wiring schematic for your Octane.

On Edit: Check out page 10 in this Dexter document (there are additional electrical references as well): http://www.united-trailers.com/Uploa...s/Manual_6.pdf

From Dexter FAQ's: "BRAKES - Do Dexter brake magnet wires have polarity?
The wires on a Dexter magnet do not have polarity. It works like a common resistor. One wire will connect to power and the other to a ground. It is Dexter's recommendation that a common ground be run from the trailer plug to the brake magnets. Do not ground each brake individually to the trailer frame or structure. Also note that the brakes should be wired in parallel, not in series." http://www.dexteraxle.com/faq_s

Also, according to the following video (@ 5:40) the brake magnet has two wires coming from it, and apparently it doesn't matter which wire as long as one goes to a positive connection and the other to a ground connection.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

You should have two white wires coming off backing plate. They are not polarity minded. Just hook up the blue to one and your white (ground) to the other. You will be fine.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote