Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer Inspection

I notice that my 2017 Jayco Hummingbird needs inspected, So I called my dealer for a appointment, He asked if it was a single or double axle, Told him it was a single, He said that would be $90 dollars plus tax. What! Called my inspection station were I get my truck and cars done, He said $20 dollars for trailers if doesn't need anything. My question how much does it cost in your State? Sticker is 3 bucks, 17 to inspect in Pa
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

$6.00. Brakes and lights is all they check.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

Here in Missouri we have no trailer inspection unless you build one yourself. Wife just went to get new stickers for our plates, I believe the cost is $ 26.00 for 3 years.You also have the option for "Lifetime" plates for $ 56.00 but I am the guy that is afraid to buy ripe bananas !!!
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #4

Here in TX it’s $6 or $7 and all they seem to check is the lights. There’s no longer an inspection sticker, the inspection result is posted on a state server that all registration places have access to. They verify the inspection and insurance before issuing the reg sticker.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #5

I agree with Redhorse1 that here in Texas trailer inspection is next to nothing (but maybe slightly better than nothing). When my trailer has been inspected, they checked the lights for operation, looked at the tires, and "checked" the brakes by driving my tow vehicle slowly and applying the manual brake lever to see if the trailer slowed. Better than nothing, but not much.

Also: the guy who last inspected my trailer took it for a drive around the parking lot and was gone for a while. I asked him what took so long, and he said he had to pull into a stall in the shop. The "inspection" stall has one roll-up door on one end. He drove my truck into the stall, the trailer was mostly still outside the stall. He then did his paperwork. I told him that sounded crazy, and he said that the new private contractor overseeing inspections wrote him up for not "pulling the trailer into a stall to do inspections". It did not matter if the trailer is actually IN the stall as long as the tow vehicle is. They used to be able to inspect them on the lot and he agreed that the ruling was stupid.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

None in Maine
It could be worth paying for if they do more than brakes and lights. We do that each time we hook up? I'd hope that is de rigeur for other RV'ers.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I agree with Redhorse1 that here in Texas trailer inspection is next to nothing (but maybe slightly better than nothing). When my trailer has been inspected, they checked the lights for operation, looked at the tires, and "checked" the brakes by driving my tow vehicle slowly and applying the manual brake lever to see if the trailer slowed. Better than nothing, but not much.

Also: the guy who last inspected my trailer took it for a drive around the parking lot and was gone for a while. I asked him what took so long, and he said he had to pull into a stall in the shop. The "inspection" stall has one roll-up door on one end. He drove my truck into the stall, the trailer was mostly still outside the stall. He then did his paperwork. I told him that sounded crazy, and he said that the new private contractor overseeing inspections wrote him up for not "pulling the trailer into a stall to do inspections". It did not matter if the trailer is actually IN the stall as long as the tow vehicle is. They used to be able to inspect them on the lot and he agreed that the ruling was stupid.
Wow! Your inspection sounds pretty thorough. 😏. My inspector just looked at the lights, never got into the truck. Goofy!

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
I notice that my 2017 Jayco Hummingbird needs inspected, So I called my dealer for a appointment, He asked if it was a single or double axle, Told him it was a single, He said that would be $90 dollars plus tax. What! Called my inspection station were I get my truck and cars done, He said $20 dollars for trailers if doesn't need anything. My question how much does it cost in your State? Sticker is 3 bucks, 17 to inspect in Pa
I made that mistake once. Stopped in camping world in NY for inspection and it was well over $120. Was told afterwards they charge Labor plus inspection. Never again, now I only go to the local truck garage and only pay the posted NY state charge. Another reason I'm done with camping world.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

Even though it’s required, we’ve never had a towable RV , utility or cargo trailer inspected. Of course I inspect everything myself better than they would. Guess we’ve gotten lucky. They just don’t mess with us. I did ask about it once, and the guy I know said just bring one trailer and all of your registrations and he’d give me all the stickers, for all trailers. We’re talking 2 flatbeds, 3 cargos and the RV. Should’ve took him up on it but wasn’t convenient at the time. Maybe one day I’ll have it done.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
What kind of a dealer thinks Hummingbirds have tandem/double axles? That is likely your first indication of a problem.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #11

Nothing in Michigan. $75 for lifetime plate. No other options.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #12

That's the first thing I thought. Huh? A Hummingbird with a tandem axle? No inspections in Ohio that I'm aware of.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #13

I pay $25 for a PA inspection. The inspection is somewhat involved and involves inspecting all the lights, breakaway cable functionality, tire tread depth, brake magnets, brake shoe pad wear, brake drum wear, and lastly the bearings and spindles for wear which is why a tandem axle trailer is usually more than a single axle. Also you must have a valid registration card to get your trailer inspected.
Psucivil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #14

$16.00 here in Virginia. They check lights, brakes and coupler. They have a small checklist they are supposed to follow.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
I made that mistake once. Stopped in camping world in NY for inspection and it was well over $120. Was told afterwards they charge Labor plus inspection. Never again, now I only go to the local truck garage and only pay the posted NY state charge. Another reason I'm done with camping world.
I “think” that TX regulates what vehicle inspections cost. As far back as I’ve owned a car, the cost was a flat rate that varied by weight. Car/truck inspections cost more and are more thorough.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I “think” that TX regulates what vehicle inspections cost. As far back as I’ve owned a car, the cost was a flat rate that varied by weight. Car/truck inspections cost more and are more thorough.
Tx flat rate 5er/TT is $7 to station then when you get tags another $7 to Tx. Inspection also must be within a short time frame of yearly tags.
I just got mine inspected & this new rule the RV must be in the bay limits where it can be done. We have one station here with a big enough door.
They are supposed to do a panic stop from 20 or 30 mph plus the lock rv brakes & try to drive off slowly
What's stupid is trailers have be over something like 7700 lbs before requiring inspection. Our Daughters 7200lb travel trailer with tandem axles/brakes doesn't need state inspection.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psucivil13 View Post
I pay $25 for a PA inspection. The inspection is somewhat involved and involves inspecting all the lights, breakaway cable functionality, tire tread depth, brake magnets, brake shoe pad wear, brake drum wear, and lastly the bearings and spindles for wear which is why a tandem axle trailer is usually more than a single axle. Also you must have a valid registration card to get your trailer inspected.
In PA only trailers with brakes need to be inspected annually.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psucivil13 View Post
When they inspect my trailer, I tell them I want to see the brakes and bearings while they have them apart. Cost me $25.00

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #19

In Virginia is like 16? They inspect lights, tires, brakes, and etc. I have seen some dealers charge more cause they will only do their whole RV inspection which includes more than state. Just a way they make extra money. I always seen state inspections as a way for them to find stuff to repair.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote