Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

Transferring fresh water when dry camping

I’ve been transferring fresh water into our fresh tank while dry camping from 6 gallon water jugs using the onboard pump but it takes about 5 minutes for each jug. I set the Nautilus valves for filling the fresh tank with the internal pump. I’ve also tried using an external pony pump setting the Nautilus for city water. The pony pump providing the pressure. I’d like to use an external pump to speed things up and wondered what others are using. The on board pump is the SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 3.0 GPM Revolution RV Water Pump. There seems to be quite a resistance to my pony pump that I’ve tried and wondered if something like a 5.5gpm 60psi RV pump used externally would be a good way to go.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Use the same pump you have in your RV, then you always have a spare.
Be sure all settings are correct when filling the FW-tank.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Use the same pump you have in your RV, then you always have a spare.
Be sure all settings are correct when filling the FW-tank.
I have a new duplicate spare for the RV in case but the 3gpm and the resistance to flow through he Nautilus system seems to limit to about 1 -1.5 gallons per minute. I've tried any Nautilus settings that apply and use the ones that work getting the water from the jug to the fresh tank.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Old 04-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #4

Well I have a much smaller TT (X19-H) without anything as fancy as the Nautilus. This works on smaller trailers, and might work on a big Northpoint.

I start by removing the external shower head from its hose, and putting the open hose end into the fresh water fill. With the pump off, turn the cold tap on for the outside shower. Inside the camper, stick the winterizing hose into a 5 gallon jug of fresh water, set your valves to winterize (close fresh tank, open winterize) and then switch on the pump. The pump sucks water from the jug into the system, and spits it back out the shower hose into the fresh tank. Switch off the pump while swapping out out 5 gallon jugs. It takes maybe 2-3 minutes to drain a 5 gallon jug this way for me. Helpful to have a spotter outside in case the shower hose pops out under pressure (or carpe ductum) Just remember to carefully undo all of the setup before switching the water back on again. Nothing more frustrating than forgetting to turn the shower valve off and having that nice fresh fill pumping back out onto the ground

Note, I used to just use a funnel and jug to try to fill through the gravity fill, but that always ended up with as much water on the ground as in the tank, and holding up those big jugs is heavy at the start!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #5

5 minutes per jug is a great time. I had problems with mine sometimes taking 20 minutes per jug. Turned out to be a small air leak where the hose connected.

When filling mine I take my camping chair and a number of jugs to my fill area. Start the first jug and sit back and relax. I have installed the SeeLevel II tank monitoring system with a second display in the fill area. Gives me something to watch so I know when I am getting close. Guess I am easily entertained.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
5 minutes per jug is a great time. I had problems with mine sometimes taking 20 minutes per jug. Turned out to be a small air leak where the hose connected.

When filling mine I take my camping chair and a number of jugs to my fill area. Start the first jug and sit back and relax. I have installed the SeeLevel II tank monitoring system with a second display in the fill area. Gives me something to watch so I know when I am getting close. Guess I am easily entertained.

I'd love to have the SeeLevel II. Haven't venture into an install even though I know whats involved.

With all the pumps on the market, I'm hoping to find one to use externally that would speed things up a lot. Then I can go back to transferring from our 45 gallon bladder.

2020 North Point 315RLTS