Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Trav'ler Directv

I installed the Winegard travler antenna on my Alante. Now I need to figure out how to connect to the coax in the coach. I thought I could take my Directv receiver (Genie Gen2) from my house to the Rv when I want to travel. Winegard said it won't work with the antenna. The Alante also has coax for the tvs, seems all receivers have HDMI out. Can I buy a receiver and use my card from my Genie? How do I get from the receivers HDMI output to the coax system in the coach???
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
CAG

I am a little confused by what you are trying to do but if you are trying to use a Genie rather than the main receiver, the Genie does not work without the main receiver. If you have a standard receiver in the house that should work with the Winegard. Did they say the Genie would not work or a Direct receiver would not work? I would imagine that those with the Winegard will jump in with more specific info.

Coax and HDMI do not mix. You need to go all the way with one or the other. I am pretty sure the card is married to the receiver so trying to use it in another is not going to work either.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

my Genie Gen2 is the main receiver. I also have a mini for a second tv. The Genie isn't listed as compatible with the Winegard travler. Wish I'd seen that before buying the antenna. I may have to buy a compatible receiver and one of these https://www.provideoinstruments.com/...Zu2b2Gkv1fsy-g
Old 04-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

I have a Genie (HR44) in the house plus an older HR24 HD DVR in the master bedroom. When going camping I just grab the old HR24 and use it in the motor home with my Traveler dish. Works like a champ plus I have a bunch of recorded programs on it.

I was under the impression that the Genie works with this dish. According to Winegard, the compatible receivers are: H24, HR24, H23, HR23, H22, HR22, H21, HR21, H20, HR20, D12, R16, R22, H25, HR34 with C31, H44, HR54, C51, C61K, HR44 with C41.

Looks like your problem is with the newest Genie as it seems to operate differently than all previous equipment. I would just buy a HD receiver for your rig and have it mirrored to your channels. Hopefully that could be done with the newest Genie. I think I pay around $7 a month to have a receiver mirrored.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Thanks Jim. I've ordered a H24. How did you get the signal from the Trav'ler box to the coach wiring? My Traveler box output is HDMI, the coach is wired for Coax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I have a Genie (HR44) in the house plus an older HR24 HD DVR in the master bedroom. When going camping I just grab the old HR24 and use it in the motor home with my Traveler dish. Works like a champ plus I have a bunch of recorded programs on it.

I was under the impression that the Genie works with this dish. According to Winegard, the compatible receivers are: H24, HR24, H23, HR23, H22, HR22, H21, HR21, H20, HR20, D12, R16, R22, H25, HR34 with C31, H44, HR54, C51, C61K, HR44 with C41.

Looks like your problem is with the newest Genie as it seems to operate differently than all previous equipment. I would just buy a HD receiver for your rig and have it mirrored to your channels. Hopefully that could be done with the newest Genie. I think I pay around $7 a month to have a receiver mirrored.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

My sat hardware routes into a cabinet in the entry door area. I routed the coax to the front TV area which basically is within 6 feet. I put my HR24 below the TV, connect the sat coax, and connect to the TV using HDMI. I set up an RF remote control so I don't need line of sight to control the box so I can shove it out of the way.

Jayco advertised my unit as being wired for satellite. Well, they were wrong. There were no cables in the ceiling area of the dish like they advertised and there was no feed to the bedroom like the tech support department said there should have been.

I suppose I could use the antenna coax feeding the rear TV but that would have required a second Direct TV box. I ended up using a different method to feed the signal to the bedroom.

I got a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver from Amazon. The transmitter connects inline with the HDMI feed to the front TV and the receiver feeds the HDMI signal to the bedroom TV. This setup could have also fed an outside TV but I don't have one.

Using one box to feed 2 TVs allows only the same channel to play on both TVs. This is not a problem for us because the bedroom TV is only typically used after the front TV is turned off. The RF remote works great from the bedroom to control the box.

Here is a little hint for those using Direct TV boxes. The biggest annoyance with these is the time required for them to boot up into an operating condition. Seems like it takes 10 minutes every time. I boondock mostly and found that anytime I changed the 120 volt input from inverter to generator or to my small external inverter/generator, the darn box would reboot. Royal pain in the rear!

To solve this problem I put a small UPS on the Direct TV power line. This keeps power supplied to the box during the power switch over. I do not use the UPS to keep the box powered when not in use because it would not have the capacity for any length of time. Works great though for the power switch over. If you are at a campsite with electricity hook up, this is not needed.

I must say I love the dish with its one push button operation. I almost went with a dish on a tripod due to cost. Just don't forget to lower your dish before driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

Thanks Again Jim. I have everything to make it happen on the way. I mounted the Travler on my 2019 Alante 26X. The metal mounting plate was where Jayco said it would be. I found the pre-wire in the roof where it was supposed to be. I had to make a bigger hole than I wanted. There were 4 or 5 coax cables to accommodate every conceivable satellite provider as well as the antenna control cable. I found the interior pre-wire behind the panel where the over the air antenna power switch is. another rats nest of cable there

Quote:
My sat hardware routes into a cabinet in the entry door area. I routed the coax to the front TV area which basically is within 6 feet. I put my HR24 below the TV, connect the sat coax, and connect to the TV using HDMI. I set up an RF remote control so I don't need line of sight to control the box so I can shove it out of the way.

Jayco advertised my unit as being wired for satellite. Well, they were wrong. There were no cables in the ceiling area of the dish like they advertised and there was no feed to the bedroom like the tech support department said there should have been.

I suppose I could use the antenna coax feeding the rear TV but that would have required a second Direct TV box. I ended up using a different method to feed the signal to the bedroom.

I got a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver from Amazon. The transmitter connects inline with the HDMI feed to the front TV and the receiver feeds the HDMI signal to the bedroom TV. This setup could have also fed an outside TV but I don't have one.

Using one box to feed 2 TVs allows only the same channel to play on both TVs. This is not a problem for us because the bedroom TV is only typically used after the front TV is turned off. The RF remote works great from the bedroom to control the box.

Here is a little hint for those using Direct TV boxes. The biggest annoyance with these is the time required for them to boot up into an operating condition. Seems like it takes 10 minutes every time. I boondock mostly and found that anytime I changed the 120 volt input from inverter to generator or to my small external inverter/generator, the darn box would reboot. Royal pain in the rear!

To solve this problem I put a small UPS on the Direct TV power line. This keeps power supplied to the box during the power switch over. I do not use the UPS to keep the box powered when not in use because it would not have the capacity for any length of time. Works great though for the power switch over. If you are at a campsite with electricity hook up, this is not needed.

I must say I love the dish with its one push button operation. I almost went with a dish on a tripod due to cost. Just don't forget to lower your dish before driving.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
I also have a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver and really like it. No problems with transmission even through our FW walls. Highly recommend one! I use it to transmit from the main receiver in the living room to our bedroom. I also have an outdoor TV that I can just unhook the receiver from the bedroom and hook it up to the outdoor TV. Easy Peezy!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote