Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Tried to split cable, picture bad?

So I tried to split cable in my 19 bh so that we could use a second tv outside. I plugged a short piece of coax directly into the plug in the wall, then I added a 1 into 2 splitter and ran a short piece of cable to the wall tv and connected a longer piece to run to the tv outside throughout the window. The wall tv with the shorter cable had a fuzzy but watchable picture and the one outside had a totally unwatchachable picture. I then disconnected the splitter and ran the the short cable directly to the wall tv. Great picture. Then I disconnected the wall tv and hooked up the longer cable to the outside tv. Again great picture. So what could be the deal? Bad splitter? I don't have another one to try, so I have to wait till we get home where I have a spare splitter. So, whatcha all think?

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

Are you splitting cable tv or satellite?

I tried to split satellite once and it won't work.

I work of off satellite (Directv) and here is what I do with just one box, for two tv's.

Cable from satellite runs to In port on box. The tv closest to the box, which is in the outside kitchen, is connected by s-video cable. I then run a cable from the Out To Tv port on back of satellite box, into the satellite cable hookup on outside of camper. That transfer the feed to the inside tv. I have to watch the same channel on each tv, but both tv's have a great picture.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Not sure why maybe because it's splitting a splitter?, but maybe there's an alternate solution for you? If your jack is the standard powered jack it probably looks like this:

There are 3 connectors, one for cable in, one for antenna and one for second TV (which is probably not connected on yours). Here's where your options are. Run a cable permanently to the outside routing through the wall using this connection. Drill another hole in the plate, install a butt connector and connect that way, or add a second plate to the wall using this outlet, but to get you going, remove the plate from the wall and try your connection there see if that helps.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

They sell signal amplifiers. Instead of using the splitter you have now, you would be using the amplifier. It's basically the same thing you have now but you need to plug it in an outlet.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

A passive 2-way splitter, by nature, has a 3db loss. This means, each of the two outputs has half the signal strength of the input to the splitter. As another poster has said, and amplifier before the splitter will over come this. Sometimes you can find a product with an amplifier and splitter in one housing, for just this reason.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Okay.....removed the plate from the wall and there is indeed a third, unused connection. Plugged into it and the picture is still bad. I will try the signal amplifier as suggested. You guys are great! So much info here!

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #7

If you go the amplifier route look into drop amplifiers and place it as close to the pole (cable source) as possible. Insure that you are using a good quality RG-6, NOT RG-59. The amplifiers job is to boost the signal to compensate for loss due to poor cables, too many splitters, and too long cable runs.

Considering that you really only have one splitter (the wall plate) I am surprised that you have that much loss of signal especially if RG-6 is used. I usually being a variety of length cables with me so I can use the shortest and with 3 TV's, 4 jacks we don't need an amplifier.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
Okay.....removed the plate from the wall and there is indeed a third, unused connection. Plugged into it and the picture is still bad. I will try the signal amplifier as suggested. You guys are great! So much info here!
It works in my house because we have so many TV's around the house. Three words of caution though.

1) If using it on a house then you can't run a cable modem with it. You need to have a straight run to the cable modem so you can't have an amplifier before it.

2) There should be little caps provided that will go on any outputs on the amplifier that you are not using. Make sure you use them.

3) It needs power so if you are dry camping then you might not be able to use it without a genny. When no power is supplied then it works just like the signal splitter you are using now. When you have power then it works the same way, only better.

There will probably be a dial on it to make adjustments too. You might need to play with that.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
1) If using it on a house then you can't run a cable modem with it. You need to have a straight run to the cable modem so you can't have an amplifier before it.
If you use a quality drop amplifier, you can use this with a cable modem, I do. One word of caution though, it is possible to over amplify especially when working with a cable modem. If the signal to the cable modem is weak, a drop amplifier can fix that.