Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

OK If I leave the breaker off on the Utility/Converter, I have not yet had a trip. Must be one of the outlets?? The GFI outlets in the camper will still work but not the other ones with the breaker off

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #12

No wetness in outlets, It's the converter breaker that is tripping it. When I have it off it will not trip. When I switch it on, the random tripping begins. So there must be a problem with the wiring? If this is not going to be a problem after I install my 30 amp outlet, I might just limp through till the outlet is ready. But if it is a problem I should probably have the service shop fix it??

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's the GFIC causing the issue.
May be what a previous poster said about a simple ground and common wire touching at the converter.

Keep us posted on final resolution.

Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitar87 View Post
No wetness in outlets, It's the converter breaker that is tripping it. When I have it off it will not trip. When I switch it on, the random tripping begins. So there must be a problem with the wiring? If this is not going to be a problem after I install my 30 amp outlet, I might just limp through till the outlet is ready. But if it is a problem I should probably have the service shop fix it??
As I pointed out in my original post your converter may well have circuitry which could cause this type of a trip to occur. It is NOT a wiring problem. The camper was never intended to be connected to a GFI circuit. GFI circuits are not intended to protect equipment. Their sole purpose is to prevent you from being shocked or electrocuted. You already have GFI protection in the camper protecting only certain outlets. Outside and near the sinks.

When you install your 30 amp outlet it will not have GFI protection. At least not if it is installed properly.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
As I pointed out in my original post your converter may well have circuitry which could cause this type of a trip to occur. It is NOT a wiring problem. The camper was never intended to be connected to a GFI circuit. GFI circuits are not intended to protect equipment. Their sole purpose is to prevent you from being shocked or electrocuted. You already have GFI protection in the camper protecting only certain outlets. Outside and near the sinks.

When you install your 30 amp outlet it will not have GFI protection. At least not if it is installed properly.
X2.....If you've narrowed it down to the converter breaker and random tripping - then chances are excellent you don't have an issue to be concerned with (see probable cause above)...Google "my TT trips my GFI circuit in my garage" sometime - and count yourself among the many who deal with this annoyance. It's come up on this list once or twice the short time I've been around.

For the record - I have a newer home with a GFI circuit in my garage that I plug into for shore power and have a WFCO Converter - I've had NO issues during 3-4 weeks of use over the past 2 years. What converter do you have?....maybe the likelyhood of this issue can be traced to a particular model / manufacturer...
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #16

My HTT is connected to a 20 amp GCFI outlet when ever plugged in at our house.

There is a cheap tool that you can purchase to test the outlets. I think I paid about $6 for mine. I also use it at CG to verify that the 30 amp outlet is wired correctly (with an adaptor)

Click image for larger version

Name:	9UL37_AS01.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	9881

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote