Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2024, 12:49 PM   #1

Truck camper 4 pin plug

I’ve purchased a Sportster 8’ slide in.
It has a 4pin plug that looks like the connection to the truck.
Anyone have a pin out diagram, or how to test this system? I hav plugged the 30A plug into 110 with supplied adapter.
It has a converter which when on hums, the 12v lights work and the 110 plugs inside work but only its converter on?

Any help is appreciated ��
Tnsporster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #2

If it is this style connector for the tail lights, then they are commonly wired like this is. If not this, then feel free to share an image. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
4-way-trailer-connector-wiring-2881928182.jpg  
Old 04-24-2024, 01:17 PM   #3

could that 4 pin connector be to run circuits that allow the side marker lights, brake/turn and tail lights to work? Most I have owned had 7 pin connector that also allowed battery charge.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:44 PM   #4

Round 4 pin plug

It’s a round 4 pin not a trailer style. It has a guide key on bottom.
See pic
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0771.jpg  
Old 04-25-2024, 09:48 AM   #5

4 Pin round connections are not all that common anymore but they are similar whether the connector is flat or round. When I had a truck camper it used the more standard 7-way connecter and had in addition to the taillights a battery charge line to charge the camper's battery when traveling. ~CA

This is a common wiring style for the connection you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 04-26-2024, 08:32 AM   #6

4 plug in 8’ sport series slide

Thank you for the wiring diagram.
So if I’m correct the connection to the truck is only for running lights, brake , turn?
It has a converter inside which has a batt/converter setting?
I thought maybe the interior lights and fridge could run off truck or bank of battery?
Any insight on the Carson converter operation?
When connected to shore power with converter off nothing interior plugs nada, with shore power and converter powered on and switch set at conv, interior 110 plugs work, heater fires up fridge cools.
The converter has a Batt selection on the switch?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2024, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsporster View Post
Thank you for the wiring diagram.
So if I’m correct the connection to the truck is only for running lights, brake , turn?
It has a converter inside which has a batt/converter setting?
I thought maybe the interior lights and fridge could run off truck or bank of battery?
I am not familiar with the Jayco Sportster Slide in campers nor am I familiar with the "Carson" converter or the switches on it. However, I can say that based on the connector that you are correct that it is wired only for the rear lights. I would suggest to see if you can find an owner's manual for your converter off of the internet or perhaps someone here may have one (which I doubt, but possible).

At one time, around the year 2000, I purchased a Lance Truck camper and with it the connector was exactly the same as most trucks would have which is a 7-way connector. The selling dealer told me I could use the existing connection but that most customers opted to have a second 7-way connector installed into the truck bed's sidewall exactly the same as installed for a 5th wheel RV setup. That is what I had, a 7-way connecter in the bed sidewall. The reason for being installed in the truck bed sidewall was simply for a more convenient location to connect and disconnect the connector and for 5th wheel usage if one had a 5th wheel or planned to purchase one in the future.

Just FYI though, you could also change the wiring connection by using a 7-way connector and likely use the connector on your truck that already exists. You would only need to add one wire for the battery charge line but it is also possible that your existing wiring would be too short and need to be extended.

When I had my truck camper, the connector would allow the truck battery\alternator to power the camper as well as to charge the camper battery. What I found though is that the camper would need to be unplugged each night or you run the risk of draining the truck battery down and the truck would not be able to be started the next morning. It wasn't hard on mine to unplug but on some setups it is more challenging. What I ended up doing was to install a battery isolator under the hood of the truck which would allow the camper battery to charge but would prevent the truck's starting battery from discharging so that I no longer needed to unplug the camper each night. ~CA

Tags
converter, electric, electrical, wiring