Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

Truck vs. RV GPS Unit

I've searched but most GPS posts seem to be very dated so I'm posting new. I'm looking to pick up a dedicated GPS unit for my '14 Seneca. While I use Google Maps on my phone for normal routing predominantly, I'd like a dedicated unit and weighing between a truck GPS and RV GPS. On the truck side, I'm looking at the Rand McNally TND 740 and on the RV side, the Rand McNally RVND 7. I'm not partial to either, but believe the RM Truck unit will be the best option if I go the Truck GPS route.

Reason for the truck unit is for the better bridge height restrictions, weight and length limits as well as more truck-like trip routing - I want to avoid smaller streets. I also like the handy trip cost capabilities. The RVND unit SEEMS to do this but it is also not wifi capable and cannot be updated on the fly as the TND can.

Overall, my plan would be:
1. Rough route planning via Google Maps and referencing the "Motor Carrier's Road Atlas" for bridge heights and other restrictions

2. Navigation routing using Truck or RV GPS

3. General purpose routing for campgrounds, food, etc using Google Maps/Yelp on my phone.

Anyone here gone with a truck GPS instead of an RV GPS? Differences, experience using either?

Appreciate the insight!

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #2

We have and love the Garmin RV 760 LMT - we program our hight, weight, and length - the RV parks - major truck stops - propane & dump stations are preloaded ( not a complete list ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #3

I use both, the factory truck in-dash GPS and also Garmin 660LTM. When you want to do changes while driving, the in-dash GPS would not or the functions are limited unless you stop. The Garmin has functions like , rest area, elevations, RV sites and more. But always listen to your inner voice, the Garmin has almost got us in trouble with bad route. I usually compare the routes before we move just to be sure.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
We have and love the Garmin RV 760 LMT - we program our hight, weight, and length - the RV parks - major truck stops - propane & dump stations are preloaded ( not a complete list ) Les
Thanks for the reply. Since posting I took a look at the Garmin 780. Looks similar and is pitted against the Rand McNally unit. From all I’m hearing, none are perfect but the RM units seem to suffer far more quality issues.

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 AM   #5

Garmin

I also use the Garmin RV Unit and find the Height and weight restrictions useful and accurate. I have put about 30,000 miles on using it and never run into any problems with the choice of routes.

I will say the one place it is starting to drop off is the traffic reporting. The Garmin system is dependent on other Garmin users. As dedicated GPS units are become increasingly rare there are less units reporting on the traffic problems. Last week Hwy 401, one of the biggest arteries in Canada was shut down about 2 hours East of Toronto and the Garmin had us driving right into it. Luckily we got word from a friend travelling the same route so we turned on Waze on the phone to find an alternative.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I just installed the Garmin RV770 in my rig the other day. I looked at the truck units, but decided to go with the RV version.

We're going out on a trip on Wednesday, so I'll see how it does... If the Garmin runs me off into the ocean or off a bridge, I won't be back to post an update....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

We don't have either... but are considering one... most likely the truck version.

We had a Garmin GPS we used with our prior motorhome, and the Garmin routed us along and around a lake thinking that we would be passing over the dam. NOT!
After backing up a ways at the dam, we got turned around and had to drive around the lake to the other side to continue on our way. I doubt that the Truck version would route that. (hope anyways)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
X2 - we’re on our sixth season with it and have had no issues whatsoever. I use a combination of Google Maps and Garmin Basecamp for trip planning.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We don't have either... but are considering one... most likely the truck version.

We had a Garmin GPS we used with our prior motorhome, and the Garmin routed us along and around a lake thinking that we would be passing over the dam. NOT!
After backing up a ways at the dam, we got turned around and had to drive around the lake to the other side to continue on our way. I doubt that the Truck version would route that. (hope anyways)
Oh dang. Yes, precisely why I want the truck unit. I picked up the Garmin Dezl 780 LMT-S but it didn’t power on straight away out of the box like all of the unboxing review videos I watched. I’ll take it back and try another. Have a trip West in two weeks so excited to see how it performs. I’ll give a short review.

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 07-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #10

My biggest challenge with route planning is the dreaded LOW BRIDGE! Utah still has a lot of them, mostly are railroad.

We find that most Interstate Highways have good signing for approaching low bridges (construction or otherwise) but we don't find the same level of advanced warning on State, County and local highways. We prefer to take the road less traveled, that puts us at greater risk for encountering these low bridges. At 13 '6", we are always on the lookout.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
My biggest challenge with route planning is the dreaded LOW BRIDGE! Utah still has a lot of them, mostly are railroad.

We find that most Interstate Highways have good signing for approaching low bridges (construction or otherwise) but we don't find the same level of advanced warning on State, County and local highways. We prefer to take the road less traveled, that puts us at greater risk for encountering these low bridges. At 13 '6", we are always on the lookout.
True. It’s the low bridges that concern me. I’m 13’1” as Jayco states and verified by my measurement. Ive referenced the Motor Carrier Atlas for low clearance locations but that is only on the major highways and state routes. For me I would have pause for anything under about 14’ since there could always be the risk that signage doesn’t account for construction or re-paving.

I did stick with the Garmin Dezl 780 LMT-S and fed in one of my concerned routes in the Los Angeles area. The unit did route me down designated truck routes which was exactly why I wanted this unit. It may add time and distance but I like the better odds of avoiding issues. I will then always plan a visual using Google maps Aerial and street views.

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 07-29-2019, 12:01 AM   #12

I have the Garmin 780 dezl as well. I use it at work daily. (I drive an 80' car hauler) so I wanted to be sure not to get somewhere I couldn't get out of. So far it has not let me down. I also planned on using it for our RV trips as well. I like how I can link my smart phone to it via Bluetooth for traffic and weather. It has steered me around a few traffic issues already.
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:04 AM   #13

Also, on a side note there is a wireless back up camera sold separately from Garmin that would be helpful as well.
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote