Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #21

I am still looking for a recommendation (make and model) on a battery charge for deep cycle batteries to replace the "built in" charger in the WF8735/WF8740 "power center".

The Samlex chargers (SEC-1215/SEC-1230) look nice, but are EXPENSIVE and I don't know that they are really that much better than other 3 stage chargers (unless you want to charge multiple banks of batteries).

I still have not found a charger that has "adjustable' voltage settings for bulk and float so that you can "tune" them to the battery manufactures specs.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
I have never seen any documentation that the OEM charger is a 3 stage !

Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm on my phone.

My OEM charger is a WF-8955. According to their website, it is a 3-stage. However, it doesn't sound like it is a very smart one in that it cuts off the bulk charge mode early.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten..._CENTER_08.pdf
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #23

I did find documentation (online) that the WF8735/WF8740 IS in fact a true 3 stage charger !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm on my phone.

My OEM charger is a WF-8955. According to their website, it is a 3-stage. However, it doesn't sound like it is a very smart one in that it cuts off the bulk charge mode early.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten..._CENTER_08.pdf
What do you mean by "Early" when switching from Bulk (BOOST) to Normal?

As far as I am concerned, the less time spent flooding power back into the battery vs. pouring carefully, the better!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
What do you mean by "Early" when switching from Bulk (BOOST) to Normal?

As far as I am concerned, the less time spent flooding power back into the battery vs. pouring carefully, the better!
I think most would rather see the bulk/boost mode to charge at and to a higher capacity faster. This might be because they want to hook to shore/generator power for less time. Trojan, for example, recommends charging their batteries to 14.8. Not all chargers support this.

This is all a learning process for me, so please feel free to correct.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
I think most would rather see the bulk/boost mode to charge at and to a higher capacity faster. This might be because they want to hook to shore/generator power for less time. Trojan, for example, recommends charging their batteries to 14.8. Not all chargers support this.

This is all a learning process for me, so please feel free to correct.
I agree that all of us would like to find a 120VAC source (genny, shore...) and completely charge our batteries in the same fashion as refilling a fuel tank.

Unfortunately, the chemical processes of storing electricity take time and generate heat (both charging and discharging).

So, the slower the charge rate, the closer you can get to maximum charge without overheating the battery.

Therefore, it seems the manufacturer of the charger has chosen a safe-and-slow path to give the battery maximum longevity.

And proud of it!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Two Group 31s is a lot of power ! The Trojan T-1275 is a smidge bigger than a standard Group 31 (13"L X 7¼W X 11¼H)

I just don't understand why everyone wants AGM ! They cost more and store less energy. If "watering" your flooded cell battery is the issue, they do make "remote" watering kits. And yes, you should remove and clean a flooded cell battery at least once a year ! More often, if you are a "full time" RVer.

If you are trying to beat 2 Group 31s, yes, you would likely need 4.
Sorry, but on second look on a different website, I think these are actually Group 27. I don't believe the Group 31 will actually fit due to their length being over 12".
Old 05-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #28

So, another wrinkle. Took out the existing Marine dual purpose batteries from AC Delco, took them to my usual battery supplier, he tested them, and told me they are fine. Just not charged fully.

When I pulled them out, the connections seemed a bit loose to me, and on the standard factory charger in the motorhome, they were charging for about two days. My battery guy feels that's not enough to top them off, especially if the connections were a bit loose between the cables, jumpers, and the battery studs. He recommended a full charge with a separate charger, and to come back and see him when they are really shot.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
So, another wrinkle. Took out the existing Marine dual purpose batteries from AC Delco, took them to my usual battery supplier, he tested them, and told me they are fine. Just not charged fully.

When I pulled them out, the connections seemed a bit loose to me, and on the standard factory charger in the motorhome, they were charging for about two days. My battery guy feels that's not enough to top them off, especially if the connections were a bit loose between the cables, jumpers, and the battery studs. He recommended a full charge with a separate charger, and to come back and see him when they are really shot.
No question, crappy connections will give you a whole bunch of problems!
Poor charging, "Low Battery" warnings, radio loosing it's stations, etc.

Put 'em back. Make sure the connections at the battery are good-and-solid. Then double-check the connections to the RV. There have been reports that the frame-ground connection is poorly done at the factory.

After that, five the battery a day or 2 to settle in and see where you are.

And proud of it!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #30

Put them on the external charger most of the day, on the workbench. Cleaned up all the connections, re-marked all the cables so they are not accidentally connected to the wrong terminals, and cleaned and painted the slide out tray. New battery straps, and plugged in the main cable of the motorhome so the small charger can top them off for a few days. They are dual purpose, so their AH rating is marginal at 95 each. But I think these will do the trick. They did last time out, and they were not even fully charged. I read the best operating range of charge for deep cycle batteries is between 20% and 85% if you keep it there pretty consistently. These Marine/Deep Cycle hybrids probably want to be fully charged. So, I'll give them a fighting chance. It will give me time to think about what I might want to do going forward, which may end up being a pair of Trojan 12v true deep cycle units.