Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

TST TPMS - did you need a repeater?

I have a 36' fifth wheel and short box truck and my TST 507 will have a sensor lose connection usually 2-3 hours into a trip. This has happened 6 of 8 trips we've taken since getting it. I can park my truck several truck lengths in my driveway and still pick up all 4 sensors. I called TST and they said I probably need a repeater. I've been in contact with Vulcan Tire where I bought it and they said I shouldn't and haven't heard of anyone with fifth wheel needing one. They said mounting the unit on a center console can cause problems buy mine is mounted in the highest area in the center of my dash.

For those with a TST, what are you towing and did you need a repeater? The repeater adds 30% to the cost of the system so it's not like a $20 add on. Plus the place I bought it from doesn't think I should need one.

I'm waiting to hear back from them after my last email.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a long bed crew cab and a 38 1/2 ft fifth wheel. My rv510 system work flawlessly without a repeater.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #3

I have the TST507 with no repeater, and don't have any issues either. In the three years I've had the setup I've only lost connectivity to a sensor a couple of times, and it's always come back within a few minutes. My combo is a little shorter than what Norty listed
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a long bed crew cab and a 38 1/2 ft fifth wheel. My rv510 system work flawlessly without a repeater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I have the TST507 with no repeater, and don't have any issues either. In the three years I've had the setup I've only lost connectivity to a sensor a couple of times, and it's always come back within a few minutes. My combo is a little shorter than what Norty listed
You guys are both longer than me - where do you have your receiver mounted? My cell phone is close to the receiver and wonder if it can cause problems although you would think it wouldn't take 2-3 hours to show up if it did.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Mine sits on the dash right in front of the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

I have a 43 ft fifth, LB CC Pickup, 63ft overall and get all 4 of mine. My unit is located on the drivers side dash mounted to the window. I have it tucked in a corner to not interfere with my vision.

507 pass through is what I am using.

Just yesterday it warned me of a brake lock up with the temp gauge on the rear most passenger side tire.

I have not lost a signal yet.

To get it started I have had to put in the rear of the cab to get them registered faster.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
You guys are both longer than me - where do you have your receiver mounted? My cell phone is close to the receiver and wonder if it can cause problems although you would think it wouldn't take 2-3 hours to show up if it did.
Mine is on the dash, right next to the GPS.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I have a 43 ft fifth, LB CC Pickup, 63ft overall and get all 4 of mine. My unit is located on the drivers side dash mounted to the window. I have it tucked in a corner to not interfere with my vision.

507 pass through is what I am using.

Just yesterday it warned me of a brake lock up with the temp gauge on the rear most passenger side tire.

I have not lost a signal yet.

To get it started I have had to put in the rear of the cab to get them registered faster.

I have same set up...no issues for me. Mine is mounted on windshield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #9

I have a 36' fiver and the tst507 system. Interestingly enough, I just had a situation that might apply to you - as silly as it might sound. I had the monitor mounted just left of center on my Ram 2500 (closer to the driver's side). No problems. On our last trip I moved it maybe 8" to the passenger side of the center stack. 3/4 of the way to our location one of the left side sensors lost signal. I actually stopped, and checked the tire pressure just to be sure. On our way home, same thing happened but on the other left side tire. Batteries are fine.
On the trip we are on this week, I returned the monitor to the driver's side of the center stack where it originally was and no signal dropout on either side. So....take it for what it's worth but try moving it around a little and see what happens.
Mindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #10

Never problem for me with my 507 standard sensors. Monitor mounted on top of the dash as far left as possible.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #11

Here is where mine is mounted and I prefer not to put on the window. My truck is over 2 truck lengths away and it picked up all the sensors with no problems.

Here is something interesting. If I turn the receiver on and let it connect with all the sensors, I can drive 25 minutes to work and all the values show and no beeps. Does that seem right?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #12

That's what mine does. I think the display just shows the last values received for a while.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #13

Without the repeater, I was loosing signal from the rear axle tires, or from the underneath rear spare tire. One time,mbr fore I installed the repeater, a rear axle tire didn't go blank,,instead, it went into alarm, telling me that the tire temp had reached 375F....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #14

I have a TireMinder A1A and it came with a booster. I have it mounted on the bottom of my A-Frame and wired directly to the battery. Receiver is mounted on the windshield just below my GPS. That way it is easy to watch both.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #15

Spoke with TST support again and the lady (Debbie) was great. She said they recommend the repeater for trailers over 32' but said some people don't have any problems with trailers over 40'. I told her it works fine until a couple of hours into the trip and she asked if I had a weather station transmitter in my camper. I do and she said if they transmit at the same time then the monitor gets bad data and that wheel will show blank and beep. There is no way to mute the beep and the only way to correct it is to power off the monitor. She said to remove the batteries from all radio transmitting devices before leaving.

I checked and my weather transmitter and TST are both at 433 MHz. So tonight I'm going to remove the batteries, turn the monitor on, and see if any beeps in the morning.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #16

I have 30' White Hawk. I needed the repeater. I would have dropout occasionally and was not comfortable with that.

I mounted the repeater in the Propane tank cover. Works well, out of site and easy install to battery bank.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
Site Team

I just went to a TST507 system and it came with a repeater. How has anyone wired it up so that it is off when the rig is parked? The last thing I want is something else to remember when setting up.

I want to power the repeater in the battery box of the rv so it will not be powered up when I am parked?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #18

Norty,
I have the TST-507 with cap sensors on an HT 30.5 fifth wheel, towed by an F250 super cab short bed. I have not needed the signal booster at all. My cap sensors signal reaches my dash without any issue at all. I still have the repeater in case, but have gone an entire season without needing it.
If you find you do need it, it is difficult to wire it in the nose of the trailer without the power being live all the time. Most others have used a switch to shut if off when the trailer is stored or when boondocking. The only other option would be to wire it from the clearance light circuit in the trailer, but then you would have to always have your lights (parking lights at least) turned on in the truck to energize that feed.
I would try the system without the repeater before going too far.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #19

There is a reason why the system comes with a repeater. On my Tire minder system I connected the repeater to a switch mounted in a compartment that is part of my departure and arrival checks anyway. I used a lighted switch so I can see when it is on or off.

Don't go by someone else's comments that they don't need a repeater. You could be the person that gets out in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire because the TPMS temporarily lost contact with a sensor or two.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #20

When in doubt, rather than listening to any of us - contact the manufacturer to get their input.
Refer back in this thread to estesbubba's comment on 7/12/2016
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote