Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Tv audio through ceiling speakers

I'M still waiting for my jayfeather 23RLSW to be delivered. I don't know who the manf. of stereo is unit is, guessing a Furrion but don't know the model.

With the TV about 8 or 9 feet from the couch and my senior hearing I was hoping to be able to run the TV audio to the ceiling speakers through the radio if it has audio input jacks. Has anyone been able to do this?

I didn't buy the TV through Jayco. I bought a Samsung to install myself.

I also thought about a wireless Bluetooth speaker to put on the counter near the couch but I'm not up to speed on all this new technology and if it would work.

Your help is needed. Thanks Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Yes. I at first wired my TV outputs to my stereo and upgraded the ceiling speakers. The best thing though was we bought a Yamaha soundbar at costco and mounted it above the TV. Much better sound, and it also has the bluetooth feature so wife can send music to it with her iphone/ipad. Now just CD/radio are wired to ceiling.
For the wireless bluetooth speaker you have, the TV or whatever source, would also have to have bluetooth as output option.
So, TV audio out to stereo AUX input would be the easiest fix. The speaker uograde may also help if not adequate. Adding a soundbar is next step up, IMO.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I'm putting in the largest TV I can fit in the recessed opening. There is a rectangular opening below the TV but it's not very wide, can't remember the demension's.

When I first saw the layout I thought about a sound bar, but I'm not sure if there is one short enough to fit the opening. That would be the easiest solution.

Does your radio also have a DVD player? If so how does it feed to the TV? HDMI, RCA cord's, or component cords? If you have a DVD player is it 720 or 1080 resolution?

I know every model will be different on components but I would think wiring would be similar.

I think also the A/c plug is the opening and the 12 volt amp switch for the antenna and coax connections, so not a lot of room for a sound bar.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get ahead of the game.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Our Jensen stereo does have dvd/cd player but I put a bluray player on the shelf and it plays through the soundbar. The original radio is now just for 12v camping, handles radio, cd and plays through ceiling and outside speakers. The bluray was also to handle any streaming we might do, if wifi is available.
To handle the number of devices I put a six outlet power strip in behind the bluray.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

I had to replace my RV stereo recently and got a Jense AWM968t with Bluetooth (receiver) built-in to allow me to play my iPhone music via the stereo - but it doesn't play to Bluetooth devices like headphones and speakers. For this I bought a Bluetooth 4 transmitter on Amazon. The one I got supports 2 simultaneous headphone/speaker connections. The new stereo had 3 speaker outputs and I only needed 2 so the third was wired as input to the Bluetooth transmitter. The transmitter needs USB for power (beyond using its built-in battery) so bought a wired in 12v USB power connection on Amazon and connected it to the stereo powered- antenna lead so the USB only draws power when the stereo is on. All works great. Can listen to TV or stereo while everyone else is sleeping. Can get specific part numbers and schematic if anyone needs it
RobertCowdery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Oh yea... On my trailer there was no audio connection from TV back to the RV stereo. I added one by using the TV headphone outlet and using adapters to get to RCA jacks and ran a cable to aux inputs on back of RV stereo. This now allows playing the TV via the stereo speakers. Takes some work to get the cable between TV and stereo through cupboards etc.
RobertCowdery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

RobertCowdery, Do you know what model stereo-dvd radio you have? I'm picking up my TT next week and from what I can tell it has a Furrion, model DV3100.

Not a lot of good reviews on the Furrion stereos.

Without seeing the back of the unit, I don't know if it has a AUX input.

It doesn't bother me to run new cabling as TV and stereo are close together.

How is the volume and clarity doing it this way? A sound bar would be ideal but I have a very small area for that and I'm not sure if they make one that short(wide).

I don't need a home stereo quality system just some volume. The mini speakers used on the flat screens of today leave a lot to be desired.

I'd post a pic of the floor plan and TV area for my model but can't figure out how to insert it into this post. Floor plan is a Jay Feather 23RLSW. Wireman
Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

Wireman...goto Furrion.com you can download all the manuals for the different models and see what connection they have.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Mounting soundbar

The yamaha is meant to sit in front of tv or mount to a wall. We used L brackets and hung it above and just behind the tv. It hangs from below cabinets above and that area was hollow, flimsy wood but was able to open that area from inside cabinets and drop a solid board in there.
I had thought that I might just stow it when not using it and place it when watching tv but didn't know where I'd stow it and not damage it.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #10

My 26BH came with a Furrion Entertainment System with speakers in ceiling and on exterior. The Furrion doubles as the DVD player for my TV (aftermarket TV that I bought and installed). When playing a DVD, the sound can come either from the TV or the speakers in the ceiling. When watching just normal TV though, the sound only comes from the TV. The wiring that was installed at the factory is HDMI Cable from the Furrion to the TV along with Red/White RCA Cables. I have tried to get the normal TV sound to come out of the ceiling speakers but haven't been successful in figuring that part out yet. It does it automatically when watching a DVD though. The Furrion that came installed also has Bluetooth capability so I can play music off my phone through the Furrion and the sound comes out of the speakers installed in the camper as well, which is a great addition (although the speakers are not of very good quality so I will be swapping them out in the future).
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #11

Steven, are you sure you have a HDMI cable from the stereo to the TV? If so, you must have a different model stereo than I have.

The model in my unit is a DV3100 and after checking Furrion's website, it looks like it only has R/W/Y output to the TV.

On playing the TV to the ceiling speakers, after doing some research, if your TV has a 3.5mm jack for audio out, you can buy a cord like this and plug it into your stereo R/W audio input on the back.

That's assuming you have the same stereo I have.

Amazon.com: ER 6FT 3.5mm Mini Plug to RCA Hook Computer To Stereo 6 FT: Electronics

Specialty Vehicle And Marine Entertainment.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

The DV 1200 has hdmi out to your tv and the rca's that they left are for the audio in back to the furrion from the tv audio out.
Make sure the rca's are plugged into the back of the furrion (sometimes they forget), make sure your tv is set to output via its rca's audio out, make sure you set the furrion to the appropriate input setting.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #13

Wish I had the 1200, but it is what it is. Only way to get quality DVD to the TV is a stand alone blu-ray player.

The Samsung TV I bought has the 3.5mm audio out jack so my only choice with the DV3100 is the mentioned cord for audio thru the ceiling speakers.

I'll have to see about a sound bar, but as I said the space is limited.

I'll pull the stereo out when I take delivery and figure out what's best.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Steven, are you sure you have a HDMI cable from the stereo to the TV? If so, you must have a different model stereo than I have.

The model in my unit is a DV3100 and after checking Furrion's website, it looks like it only has R/W/Y output to the TV.

On playing the TV to the ceiling speakers, after doing some research, if your TV has a 3.5mm jack for audio out, you can buy a cord like this and plug it into your stereo R/W audio input on the back.

That's assuming you have the same stereo I have.

Amazon.com: ER 6FT 3.5mm Mini Plug to RCA Hook Computer To Stereo 6 FT: Electronics

Specialty Vehicle And Marine Entertainment.
I have the Furrion DV3200 and yes, the HDMI cable came installed from the radio, I just plugged it into my TV. I also have the RCA cables. I have an aux cable, I just have not plugged it in to get sound out of the ceiling speakers. Most of the use of the TV is for my daughter when she watches DVDs and that sound already comes out of the ceiling.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #15

Do you mean DV1200 (not3200).
Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
My 26BH came with a Furrion Entertainment System with speakers in ceiling and on exterior. The Furrion doubles as the DVD player for my TV (aftermarket TV that I bought and installed). When playing a DVD, the sound can come either from the TV or the speakers in the ceiling. When watching just normal TV though, the sound only comes from the TV. The wiring that was installed at the factory is HDMI Cable from the Furrion to the TV along with Red/White RCA Cables. I have tried to get the normal TV sound to come out of the ceiling speakers but haven't been successful in figuring that part out yet. It does it automatically when watching a DVD though. The Furrion that came installed also has Bluetooth capability so I can play music off my phone through the Furrion and the sound comes out of the speakers installed in the camper as well, which is a great addition (although the speakers are not of very good quality so I will be swapping them out in the future).
Steven, sounds like our units are the same. I was able to change the "source" on the Furrion to AV and the TV sound came thru the ceiling speakers. My problem is that my Furrion remote will only work from about 2' from the radio. It will not work across the room, only 8-9'.
Does yours have adequate reach?
dsbrown1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #17

Steven, I misspoke when I said my model was a DV3100. After looking at the manual, it is a DV3200. A new model that's not even on Furrion's website yet.

It has a HDMI output from the stereo unlike the DV3100. I just installed my own TV's this weekend.

Like DSBrown1434 say's, you will have to change the source on the stereo.

Ran HDMI cord for the stereo DVD player to the TV, and a 3.5mm R/W audio out from the TV to the R/W audio in on the stereo.

Will check today to see if the TV audio will play through the ceiling speakers.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbrown1434 View Post
Steven, sounds like our units are the same. I was able to change the "source" on the Furrion to AV and the TV sound came thru the ceiling speakers. My problem is that my Furrion remote will only work from about 2' from the radio. It will not work across the room, only 8-9'.
Does yours have adequate reach?
I will double check when I get home today, but I think it's range is only 3 to 4 ft. I have not really thought about it, usually when I am using radio remote for something, I am standing right there. I use TV remote for watching TV (well when daughter is watching TV that is). Like I said, I will go out there later this evening when I get home and see how far away it works in my 26BH.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Steven, I misspoke when I said my model was a DV3100. After looking at the manual, it is a DV3200. A new model that's not even on Furrion's website yet.

It has a HDMI output from the stereo unlike the DV3100. I just installed my own TV's this weekend.

Like DSBrown1434 say's, you will have to change the source on the stereo.

Ran HDMI cord for the stereo DVD player to the TV, and a 3.5mm R/W audio out from the TV to the R/W audio in on the stereo.

Will check today to see if the TV audio will play through the ceiling speakers.
Yea, I knew I had the 3200 because I kept researching all about it when I was having issues (that were all due to dead/low battery). No worries though. I will go through the sources when I check out the remote for the other guy today and see if I can get normal TV (not DVD) to sound through the speakers and let you know if I figure it out.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #20

My TV audio does play through the ceiling speakers. Depending on what brand your TV is and what type of audio output yours has, will determine the type of cord you need.

Just had to change the source on the stereo.

The audio input is RCA type connections on the back of the DV3200.