Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustoner View Post
I've heard that any TV that you purchase for use in an RV should be made for RV use as they are built to withstand shaking, vibration, that is associated with RV travel. Is there any truth to this or will an off the shelf TV, i.e., Insignia, be suffice? I do not plan to use on DC power.
TIA
Absolute rubbish. If you believe that I have some magic beans I’d like to sell you lol. I’ve never used anything but off the shelf consumer TV’s and never had a failure. I’d take the cheapest Samsung and use it over Furrions “RV Rated” model anyday.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
I was always wondering about the effects of freezing cold temperatures on TV’s that stay out in the cold all winter in northern climates. I would never store an expensive TV in my shed or garage, but I certainly can’t remove them from the RV. Any thoughts?
I put a Samsung 55" tv on a swivel mount on the side of my house so we can watch tv while on the deck. I have a waterproof cover but it doesn't protect it from the hot summers or cold winters. No issues.
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #23

The RCA LCD TVs that came with my 2011 Pinnacle are still installed and seem to work as well now, as the first time we used them. They stay in the coach during the cold of winter and the heat of summer here in Kansas. The primary maintenance they've received is to be turned on when we want to use them and off when we're done.
Linejudgemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #24

Any TV will be fine. I'd recommend one with Roku built in though. That is a handy feature to have.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #25

When we had ours installed from yes Camping World they told us when we are traveling to remove the television from the wall mount and place it on the bed or some safe place. This way it doesn't jar on the wall and will extend the life of the television. It is not that hard to remove it from the mount and place it on the bed since the television is over the bed. Believe it or not thats what we did during our travels out west. During the winter storage we keep it in the house to avoid any issues. So far so good. We got ours at Sams Club for a song.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #26

It's not just the vibration, which can be a problem (just ask the Whirlpool residential fridge owners), but it's the humidity and extreme weather changes you also need to be concerned about.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
I was always wondering about the effects of freezing cold temperatures on TV’s that stay out in the cold all winter in northern climates. I would never store an expensive TV in my shed or garage, but I certainly can’t remove them from the RV. Any thoughts?
The only problem with TV's and cold weather is when you go into a freezing room and heat it up, moisture will condense on cold surfaces. If you wait until the tv has a chance to warm up to room temperature before turning it on yu should not have a problem.

If you wear glasses and walk into a warm space from a cold outside your glasses fog up and gradually clear off on their own as they warm up. The same thing happens inside electronics.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Same TV here, mounted, no issues with over 3 years and 50k miles use.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #29

We bought 3 Vizios and have had no problems in 4 years. Much better pic than the cheapies it came with.
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #30

TV

It dosent matter what kind of tv you put in. Only thing I reccomend is a smart tv. Most campgrounds have wifi or you can set up a hotspot.
Dannie0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #31

I mentioned to the dealer about the Furrion TVs that came with the coach and he said they were built to take the cold weather when in storage. I installed a Vizio TV we had around the house in the bedroom and have had no problems several years later.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannie0429 View Post
It dosent matter what kind of tv you put in. Only thing I reccomend is a smart tv. Most campgrounds have wifi or you can set up a hotspot.
Unfortunately, most park wifi sucks and is not set up for use on smart TVs. Hot spot can work if you have good signal and unlimited data.
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #33

Bought a Phillips with ROKU, 40", for under $200. Also bought a 36 month no-questions-asked-bring-her-back-free-exchange warranty for under $50.

Two years, 27,000 miles including the brutal Dawson City, Yukon to Chicken, AK highway, and zero issues. For that matter, NOTHING broke.

2018 Greyhawk 29MV.

Happy as a clam.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #34

TV In RV

Quote:
I've heard that any TV that you purchase for use in an RV should be made for RV use as they are built to withstand shaking, vibration, that is associated with RV travel. Is there any truth to this or will an off the shelf TV, i.e., Insignia, be suffice? I do not plan to use on DC power.
TIA
I have a Furrion and I think it's 12 volt but I don't like it very much. It's confusing to operated.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #35

Quote:
TIA
Scraping for medical benefits before I qualify for Medicare, I did 2 1/2 years at a Sams Club in the electronics dept. - mostly selling TV’s.

You were fed a line of BS. I forget the name
Of the category, but there are items among the regular consumer grade electronics that are built for demanding industrial applications. I would get asked about them for medical and law enforcement applications. Best Buy could get them but not us.

Being full time in an RV for a year now, I have come to believe that most things purposely designed for an RV are cheap pieces of Crap. Furrion comes to mind.

For consumer TV’s, it is widely held that Samsung, Sony and LG rise to the top of the food chain for overall quality and reliability. Surprising to me, a brand that I first mistook for being Walmart crap but are actually really good for the money is TCL. Visio is also often found in the “bang for the buck” column (I owned two) but some of the newer ones are every bit as sophisticated and expensive as other top of the line models.

Remember that any TV only looks as good as the signal quality and that can vary greatly in RV parks.

Angus

PS: regarding putting tv’s outside , it would normally void the warranty (If it was discovered)but all the leading brands would do fine if under some overhang or otherwise sheltered from direct exposure to elements. I had customers do it all the time for barbecue or pool area but knowing there some elements of risk.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
FYI, it was a TCL model, made by Roku, which is one of the makers of streaming set top boxes and has lots of content and functionality.
This is the one I have also. 2 years and running. I also leave it in the TT during the winter here in Delaware.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #37
Al1

Furrion TV

Our 2016 Redhawk had a Furrion TV in it which self destructed a couple of years ago. I replaced it with one on sale from Amazon that works fine.
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #38

Quote:
TIA
Hello Mikesea. Having work for a test lab for a long time I have tested retail and aerospace electronics and I asure you that there are built very tough. Testing them to Milspec and SAE and other standards. The miltary a buying off the shelf tv monitor, and computers in a effort to save money and time in development. So buy any thing that works for you. Vibration and HALT and HASS testing
Mr Lebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #39

Vibration shock RV TV

Hello Mikesea. Having work for a test lab for a long time I have tested retail and aerospace electronics and I asure you that there are built very tough. Testing them to Milspec and SAE and other standards. The miltary a buying off the shelf tv monitor, and computers in a effort to save money and time in development. So buy any thing that works for you. Vibration and HALT and HASS testing.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #40

Hello Mikesea. Having work for a test lab for a long time I have tested retail and aerospace electronics and I asure you that there are built very tough. Testing them to Milspec and SAE and other standards. The miltary a buying off the shelf tv monitor, and computers in a effort to save money and time in development. So buy any thing that works for you. Vibration and HALT and HASS testing