Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

TV only works when connected shore power

I just took possession of a 2016 HT28.5 RSTS and only have TV when connected to shore power should the converter / inverter not supply power to this?

Where is the converter located please?

all other 12v systems seem to work
Rcemerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Depends on the tv ... the convertor only converts and charges the 12 volt system and supplys electric to the electric stuff. To watch the tv if its only electric you would have to install an invertor capable of supplying enough watts for the tv
Old 04-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

If its a true led tv it wouldn't take too big of an invertor
Old 04-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies

I thank you all for the quick reply I will just install a smaller inverter right near the TV using the Sound system power.
Rcemerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #5

I have found it is best to power your INVERTERs directly from the battery... A small 150WATT INVERTER will pull around 12AMPS DC Current if fully loaded down. A 300WATT Power INVERTER will draw around 24 AMPs DC current if loaded down...

You may blow some fuses around your SOUND SYSTEM 12VDC feed...

What i did was installed a 600WATT PSW POWER INVERTER wired directly to the battery with its own fuse. I also got a PURE SINE WAVE Power Inverter to power up any 120VAC ELECTRONICS just to be safe...

Then I ran a couple of regular 120VAC Extension cords with MULTI-HEAD TAPS with one going to the home entertainment area and the other cord going to the bedroom nite table area.

These are my two 120VAC Emergency Power setups for when we are camping off the power grid...

I also have a larger battery bank to support this type of operations as the high DC current drains will deplete a single 12VDC battery rather quickly......

You may also want to replace your ceiling lights with LED REPLACEMENTS. Those incandescent automotive bulbs will draw around 1 AMP each from your battery. There are two of these in the ceiling light assys.. All on at same time will really add up some current drain probably over 12AMPS or so...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Team

2x for Roy's post

Are you only going to be using the inverter JUST for the Tv? That is the way most start and then adding a few other things.... so you need to sit down and think about what you want to run while dry-camping, and how you will charge that battery(s) for days 2...3...4

The first thing you need to get is a digital voltage display. You can only discharge your battery down to 12VDC (50% rule) or you will shorten its life. If your battery is rated at 85Amp Hours, you really only can use 40Ah of the total 85Ah, again the 50% rule. If you are going to be using the battery for other things, like charging your phones, playing the radio, the heating system on those cold nights, you will drain the standard battery in one night or less, depending on the temperature you set the thermostat to and how cold it is.

Don

Find a digital voltage display on Amazon something like the one below... there are a lot of them out there... if you get the one with the USB slots, that is more drain on your battery to account for
Attached Thumbnails
12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

Some Led TV's are 12volt DC and the box built into the cord converts 120v AC to 12v DC. If that is the case you could wire your tv to run right from the battery and ditch the power cord that came with it. Your tv may be another voltage like 9 volt but DC current. A step down transformer 12vdc to 9vdc is more efficient than a invertor so that is an option as well.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Some Led TV's are 12volt DC and the box built into the cord converts 120v AC to 12v DC. If that is the case you could wire your tv to run right from the battery and ditch the power cord that came with it. Your tv may be another voltage like 9 volt but DC current. A step down transformer 12vdc to 9vdc is more efficient than a invertor so that is an option as well.
Agree, I have an older Vizio 23" LCD and the power brick converts 120VAC to 12VDC. Went to Radio shack and found a 12V cigarette lighter adaptor with the same output connector as the power brick and I can power the TV from the 12V socket near the TV power and antenna connections.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

We camped in the driveway on Saturday and i had this problem as well, albiet not with a TV. We were all hanging out in the trailer playing board games when i went to plug the kettle in, it wouldn't flip on so i tried annother plug, still no dice. Looked at the small electric heater, no power for it either. Figured the outlet with breaker had popped, or one of the kids hit it by accident and had no luck their either. But it wouldn't pop with the test button.

At this point im getting frustrated and went to check the outside plugin to make sure we were hooked up to the house etc etc all looked good, so i pop out the manual and start reading with no luck. Then, the hamster wheel in my very tired head started spinning. The 15a breaker in the house had popped and the 120v doesn't work unless connected to 120v power.... I felt like a real tool, but at least i learned something.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

When you get your 12vdc monitor also get one of the AC electrical tests plugs electricians use. It will tell you right away if you have AC power to your outlets and to your household jacks. Saves a lot of time and loss of hair.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote