Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

TV Outlet not working

Hello!

I just bought a used 2014 Jay Feather 228. I pluged a small heather in the 110v outlet beside the TV (it's cold here at this time of the year). At the begining it worked fine. After a couple of minutes, the heater stop.

I look for the breaker, everything was fine but I reset them anyway.
I look at the GFCI outlet and reset it.

I have power everywhere else, except in this outlet. I opened the outlet and it seems that I have no power in the wire.

I tried to figure out where the power (or the wire) for this outlet came from, but I can't find. All the other outlets seems to came from the GFCI outlet, but not this one.

What can I do to fix this? I'll bring it at a service center at the begining of the next season, but I still hope I can fix it myself before...

Thanks!
dblouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblouin View Post
Hello!

I just bought a used 2014 Jay Feather 228. I pluged a small heather in the 110v outlet beside the TV (it's cold here at this time of the year). At the begining it worked fine. After a couple of minutes, the heater stop.

I look for the breaker, everything was fine but I reset them anyway.
I look at the GFCI outlet and reset it.

I have power everywhere else, except in this outlet. I opened the outlet and it seems that I have no power in the wire.

I tried to figure out where the power (or the wire) for this outlet came from, but I can't find. All the other outlets seems to came from the GFCI outlet, but not this one.

What can I do to fix this? I'll bring it at a service center at the begining of the next season, but I still hope I can fix it myself before...

Thanks!
If you have an inverter that is what is powering that outlet. It will have a reset button.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
If you have an inverter that is what is powering that outlet. It will have a reset button.
Where can I find the inverter?
Old 10-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
You'll need to hunt since it was not a factory option so the previous owner would have installed it.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
If you have one it should be hiding near the battery. In a cab? under the bed? Behind a drawer?

When you pulled this outlet, did you fine a dead end peice of romex or did it come in and go out somplace else.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #6

Thanks, but I don't think that I have an inverter (I don't find it anywhere, and the seller never talk of it).

Any other options??
Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't think that I have an inverter (I don't find it anywhere, and the seller never talk of it).

Any other options??
how many wires in the outlet you pulled?

Old 10-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
If you have one it should be hiding near the battery. In a cab? under the bed? Behind a drawer?

When you pulled this outlet, did you fine a dead end peice of romex or did it come in and go out somplace else.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean (my english is not perfect) but there's a picture of the outlet.

Everything look at his place, and I have no power coming from the wire...
Attached Thumbnails
121546078_353973879175855_722880687729424716_n.jpg  
Old 10-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean (my english is not perfect) but there's a picture of the outlet.

Everything look at his place, and I have no power coming from the wire...
The is one piece of romex. It is a dead-end. If you had another one going out then you would have more dead outlets. Just trying to troubleshoot.

Remove the cover of the breaker panel and check for voltage at each breaker. Are you sure ALL other outlets are working?

Old 10-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #10

I'd listen to Cavie on this one as his electrical knowledge FAR outweighs mine, but I wonder:

Did you completely reset all the breakers? Completely opening them and completely closing each one?

Do you have any GFI OUTLETS in the camper? If so, have you punched the test/reset buttons to reset those? Did you check outside the camper for a GFI outlet? Or perhaps in a storage bay?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
The is one piece of romex. It is a dead-end. If you had another one going out then you would have more dead outlets. Just trying to troubleshoot.

Remove the cover of the breaker panel and check for voltage at each breaker. Are you sure ALL other outlets are working?
I just checked the voltage in my breaker panel and everything look good.

And yes, this outlet is at the end of the line, it's also the only one that doesn't work (or there is one hidded somewhere but I check everywhere I can think). I have juste one GFCI outlet, or I didn't find the other one and it doesn't look like the outlet that doesn't work is linked to the GFCI.

In fact, my main issue, is that I can't find where the wire that power this outlet come from. It doesn't seem like it's linked to anything else, and all the breaker are OK so... It seems that I'll have to pay to fix that.

Thanks for your time, if you think of anything else don'T hesitate. I really appreciaite your help!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
I just checked the voltage in my breaker panel and everything look good.

And yes, this outlet is at the end of the line, it's also the only one that doesn't work (or there is one hidded somewhere but I check everywhere I can think). I have juste one GFCI outlet, or I didn't find the other one and it doesn't look like the outlet that doesn't work is linked to the GFCI.

In fact, my main issue, is that I can't find where the wire that power this outlet come from. It doesn't seem like it's linked to anything else, and all the breaker are OK so... It seems that I'll have to pay to fix that.

Thanks for your time, if you think of anything else don'T hesitate. I really appreciaite your help!
Try this. Remove the closest outlet to that one. You will be looking for any loose or burned connections. Any chance the non-working outlet is in a slide?

Old 10-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Try this. Remove the closest outlet to that one. You will be looking for any loose or burned connections. Any chance the non-working outlet is in a slide?
No slide. I checked every outlet that I found inside or outside the RV...
Old 10-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
No slide. I checked every outlet that I found inside or outside the RV...
did you open each one? I'm talking about opening up the closest outlet to see in there is anything loose inside. check the outlet to either side of the non-working one. This is troubleshooting 101.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #15

That style of outlet is the #1 cause of mobile home fires. Space heaters are not kind to loose connections. Start pulling outlets and switches between the failed outlet and the breaker box. I bet a connection in another outlet box failed before the actual wire failed. I have a inexpensive gizmo I use at work called an inductive toner that I use to track down wires/cables. As long as the cable is not shielded, my gizmo will start generating a tone within a couple of inches of the cable.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote