Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #1

TV signal only half there????

My 2014 24FBS has 3 television cable feeds, with only LR (main) hooked to a TV when purchased. Late last year I added a TV in BR but could only get half the channels. Took to CW this spring for last warranty work, and they "fixed" that problem. Tried it out in BR last month but still only half the channels go to BR TV. Warranty has now ended.

Today I dug into the issue and checked many points of connection. Pulled both main and BR boxes and found loose wires, tightened them but no change. Put in a new gold splitter but no change, Moved BR TV to main cable box and all channels received (not BR TV issue). Moved main TV to BR box and received only half the channels. Moved TV to the outside cable box, hooked it up, and only half the channels....same as bedroom.
It appears that all connections are okay but full signals don't get to the BR box and the outside box. Could it be that both of those cables are having issues???
Doesn't seem likely to me but I guess it's possible.

Do you guys know of anything else I should check or look for before I go back to CW with this problem? I would tell CW that they didn't ever fix my warranty item and they need to fix it now (that should be a fun discussion).

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

Are all your TVs connected to the same source i.e. Antenna?
Most TVs when configuring and scanning for channels must have the correct source selected, such as Antenna to properly scan for and find all channels.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

The problem may be the splitters. If you have 100% signal coming into a splitter that divides to two outputs, each line will only get at most 50% of the signal strength on each out put. If it is a 3 out splitter you get basically 1/3 of the signal strength on each output. You may need to purchase and amplified splitter that increases signal strength as it splits it. There are usually some losses in the splitter so the sum of the outputs is usually less than the input. To complicate things further some 3 way splitters don't divide the signal evenly between the outputs.

Long runs, damaged shielding and loose connections can also degrade the signal.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Abarkl- yes all come from the same source and yes, TVs are were scanned to the antennae source.

YS71na- So I hadn't heard that the signal strength is reduced by the splitter. I've used splitters for years and never saw that happen but most of the signals were from cable or satellite and not a weaker antennae signal. I live in a remote area and the CGs I have used are also somewhat remote. That splitter signal loss then makes some sense to me. Hadn't encountered an amplified splitter before and I wonder if they are small enough to jam inside the wall with all the cables, etc.?

Thanks,
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Have you hooked up the 1/2 channel TV to the full channel TV cable? Maybe it's the television set.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Have you hooked up the 1/2 channel TV to the full channel TV cable? Maybe it's the television set.
Yes Smoker, I tried that and did get full channels on the 1/2 TV.

Do others have reduced channels(signal) in BR TVs after it goes thru the splitter, in more remote areas??

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 08-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I think he covered that is post #1. I think you may have a beef w/ CW. Did you ever verify it to see if it was fixed?

Trust but verify?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I think he covered that is post #1. I think you may have a beef w/ CW. Did you ever verify it to see if it was fixed?

Trust but verify?
I preach Trust but Verify to my employees but guess who didn't do it this time? Hmmmmm....

Yes, I believe CW will be hearing from me soon.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 08-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm not from Missouri but when someone tell me it's fixed, I say "SHOW ME".
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #10

Do you have the typical Winegard batwing antenna with the amplifier and is it powered on as indicated by the LED?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #11

No, I dumped the batwing and added a King 2 years ago. It greatly increased the reception of more received channels, especially in more remote areas.
At that time though I only had one TV in the TT so I don't know if that affected the back TV reception or not.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 08-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #12

You indicated you have 3 TV outlets. The main, the bedroom and an outside outlet. Not to confuse that outside outlet with the cable/satellite input. 3 TV outlets. Correct?

In your missing channels are they randomly missing or, as I suspect, they will cut off at a certain channel as the channel number increases?

I think there must be a splitter feeding the bedroom and outside. Can you locate that splitter? I would start by replacing it. You can get amplified splitters as well.

Let us know how this shakes out.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
No, I dumped the batwing and added a King 2 years ago. It greatly increased the reception of more received channels, especially in more remote areas.
At that time though I only had one TV in the TT so I don't know if that affected the back TV reception or not.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Is all wiring RG-6 or RG-58 or a combination of both?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
You indicated you have 3 TV outlets. The main, the bedroom and an outside outlet. Not to confuse that outside outlet with the cable/satellite input. 3 TV outlets. Correct? Yes correct..3 for TVs.In your missing channels are they randomly missing or, as I suspect, they will cut off at a certain channel as the channel number increases? Yes, they cut off after the first half of the channels on the higher numbers.
I think there must be a splitter feeding the bedroom and outside. Can you locate that splitter? I would start by replacing it. I have already replaced the splitter as I mentioned in first message in thread.You can get amplified splitters as well.

Let us know how this shakes out.
[COLOR="red"]Sure will. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Is all wiring RG-6 or RG-58 or a combination of both?
Beats me...whatever Jayco installed. Sorry.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 11-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #16

I was wondering if this problem was ever solved. I have a 2017 Seismic with 4 tv's and onlye one receives all the channels. The main tv is picking up about 20 channels and the other 3 receive only 5 channels, all the same ones.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #17

Here is an interesting read regarding splitters and digital tv signal.

I would suggest locating the splitter in your system and replace it with an in line connector to supply signal directly to each of the "degraded" legs one at a time. If you then get good signal and all channels at the far end of the cable, your cabling is good and the problem is your splitter. If you still don't get all the channels your cabling has a problem or you need to rescan the channels.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #18

OK. Thanks I will give that I try if I can find the splitter.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #19

If you are using this KINGs JACK antenna is the RED LIGHT on the base ON and do have the JACK antenna pointed towards the transmitting station. NOTE the RED LIGHT is next to the F-CONNECTOR RG cable connection

The Jack antenna should be in this position to point towards the transmitting antenna.

When I was experimenting with the JACK antenna verses the BATWING wing antenna I found I had to be more precise in pointing the Jack antenna. The BATWING was more forgiving. Both the JACK and BATWING worked about the same for me once the JACK was more precisely pointed correctly...

I also noted you have changed out the splitters etc. The new splitter has to be able to PASS the DC Control voltage from the Antenna WALL PLATE. Otherwise the 12VDC voltage will not make it up the RG cable to the JACK antenna to turn on the inside RF Amplifier. If the RED LIGHT on the bottom of the JACK antenna is ON then it is receiving the 12VDC control voltage.

My 2008 Model camper uses this ANTENNA WALL PLATE to operate the Front TV and the Bedroom TV.

I know this TV controller is different that what the newer models use - Just showing for comparison.

You might want to run a direct cable by-passing the splitter to your OTA antenna controller to make sure all works normal first.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #20

As I read thru this old thread, a question came to mind. Could there be another dual splitter somewhere down stream from the original 2-way splitter? I don't recall if mine is a three way but I think it was only a 2-way that I checked.

Happy RVing,
Jeff