Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #1

TV / stereo issue

Glad I finally found this forum! Lots of great info on it! I'm in need of some help. We've got a 2010 28' G2 RBDL and have had this issue since we bought it new. I should have taken it back to the dealer for warranty work but that never happened. My bad. Independently, the Jensen stereo and the TV works fine. However, I'm getting some kind of interference when I run the tv thru the stereo and speakers. There is a really annoying buzzing sound that is persistent when the two units are used together. Playing an IPod, CD, or radio, it sounds fine. TV by itself is fine. Trying to play a DVD movie in conjunction with the TV and stereo together is almost impossible. I'm thinking that there is some sort of grounding issue going on between the 110v TV and the 12VDC stereo. I've pulling the Jensen out and checked connections and likewise with the TV but don't see any issues. I added a noise suppression filter between the stereo and TV, but that didn't help. Am I missing a ground somewhere? Anyone had a similar issue and if so, how did you solve it? Thanks in advance! Travis in Tx.
Ttrav122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #2

Troubleshooting suggestions...

- Run the HDTV audio out to another external device if possible....it could be isolated to the HDTV
- Try another output from the HDTV to the Jenson.... AV2, HDMI....or use the HDTV headphones out to the Jenson external audio in.

Good Luck
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

I just had to fix a similar problem on another TT.

Is the DVD player in the TV or the Jensen? I had to replace the cables going from the TV to the Jensen AWM965 (had audio, flaky video).. Turns out, the metal covering on the male part of the cable (yellow, video cable) came off. New cables, all is good now.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Thanks Threebutchers and John for your reply. I spent a good portion of the day today trying to figure out where the issue really is. I changed the inputs for the
DVD and that works like a charm now. The DVD player is in the Jensen and it seems like that problem is solved for now. Cables are in good condition. DVD works great on Aux 2 now. I guess my Jensen is Too old to have a HDMI plug. I thought about trying a HDMI to USB to see if that solves the problem. The feedback now seems to be isolated to the tv audio to Jensen. What I discovered today was that the feedback occurs ONLY when the trailer 12v lights are activated. I was plugged in at home on a normal 30amp circuit, ac running, tv on, stereo on, but all lights were off equals no buzzing. When I turned on the overhead bank of lights, the buzzing came on immediately. Turned them off, buzzing stopped. So what's the connection between the lights and tv audio reception? Sure appreciate you thoughts on this!
Previous Starcraft pop up for many years and served us well
Old 04-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #5

I think you are getting to the bottom of things! Are your lights LED or incandescent?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

Are you using LED replacement bulbs? Some LEDs have voltage regulators that can cause interference.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #7

I have recently found the elusive buzzing noise in my TT as well. I have the jensen system as previously stated and the interference only occurs when my hot water heater is on....it creates a horrible buzzing noise through the surround speakers... now that i have found the problem I will try and find the solution....ill repost when that happens!!!
Jayco1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

I still have the incandescents in all fixtures, so nothing has changed there. I forgot to mention earlier that I also swapped out TV's just to eliminate that as a potential source. There was no difference. Also, the closer the light fixture is to the tv/ Jensen, the more intense the buzzing sound. I still think that there is a grounding issue somewhere, but I don't have a clue where to start looking. I'm temped to carefully pull out the converter and check all of those connections. Surely there is enough play in the wiring behind that unit to take a look. Where would be the most likely place to connect a chassis ground? Shouldn't there also be a ground on the coax cable somewhere? I certainly appreciate the everyone's feedback on this. It's been driving me crazy!
Previous Starcraft pop up for many years and served us well
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

I've heard of a trick were you coil a wire around the RCA audio input wire at the head unit then chassis ground the wire to the head.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Site Team

RFI filter

You may want to run over to RadioShack ( I think they are still in business), pick up a few of these filters/chokes and install them on your inputs. If it is an RF noise, it should eliminate it.

Don

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...8AAA&gclsrc=ds
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #11

First of all, are you hearing 60 cycle Mains hum? Follow this link and you will find a sound bite about half way down the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

If this is what you are hearing, then the RF chokes and coiled wires suggested above will not help.

If it is 60 cycle hum then you can check the converter as follows. Disconnect the RV shore power. Disconnect the TV from the RV 120VAC outlet. Connect the TV to an extension cord that is connected to a 120VAC receptacle outside of the RV. Now run your tests.

If the problem goes away, then the most likely source is the power converter (60 cycle ripple on the DC lighting circuit). This is assuming that there is no power inverter involved.

If the problem remains, then I would suspect the cables between the TV and the stereo or a problem with the RCA jacks on the back of the stereo.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #12

Thanks Threebutchers and Don, I will try those ideas this weekend and post the results. I really appreciate your feedback.

Travis
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #13

Thanks Mike! We are going camping this weekend and will try your suggestions Appreciate the advice. I'm not sure if I have an power inverter or converter or both. I just know that the main fuses are in a large back rectangular box below the oven space. So I assume that is the converter.

Travis
Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #14

Our trailer was built at the end of 2010 and I think there is a HDMI jack
at the back of the Jensen DVD player. My plan is to pull it out and connect it
to the tv. I have a similar problem you describe. When it rains, I can't hear the TV over the rain so I connect to the ceiling speakers and subsequently
get the hum. Thanks for everyone's help and for posting this.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
Site Team

TV / stereo issue

Last summer I got frustrated trying to hear. Ordered a wireless headphone (sennheiser) from Amazon. They work great.
Mine does not have a HDMI Jack.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #16

Update: Jensen does not have a HDMI, only a front USB. Tried Mike's suggestion about the 50-60 cycle hum, and that is in fact the problem. So the converter is made by Iota I believe. Is that an issue that can be fixed, or is this total replacement?

Could this be related to a voltage spike that we had on a December camping trip last year? I'm not entirely sure though, that is was due to the spike or the fact I noticed a voltage drop every time the furnace kicked on. Lights would dim briefly on startup. It did get down to 22 degrees a couple nights in a row. That's way cold for down here. Whatever the cause, it knocked out the TV and the coffee maker. Thank goodness nothing else got hit. I think the morning coffee was actually MORE important than the tv! Lol.

Travis