Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Member
 
SmackIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Reno
Posts: 64
US Forest Service Water Tap Adapter

Has anyone come up with a solution for attaching a fresh water hose to this type of tap? They're pretty much the standard in every campground in the West.



The Water Bandit is useless.



I can't believe someone doesn't have a viable solution ? ? ?
__________________

SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
Has anyone come up with a solution for attaching a fresh water hose to this type of tap? They're pretty much the standard in every campground in the West.



The Water Bandit is useless.



I can't believe someone doesn't have a viable solution ? ? ?
One of those, but I also used a hose clamp on it.
__________________

__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Member
 
SmackIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Reno
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
One of those, but I also used a hose clamp on it.

3 water bandits and 9 different sizes of hose clamps later, no way. The water bandit is not even close to a viable solution. The water coming out of those taps is under pretty high pressure. The sloped design of the spigot makes the hose clamp useless. The water bandit either slips off, or blows out the bottom at the brass threaded part.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
3 water bandits and 9 different sizes of hose clamps later, no way. The water bandit is not even close to a viable solution. The water coming out of those taps is under pretty high pressure. The sloped design of the spigot makes the hose clamp useless. The water bandit either slips off, or blows out the bottom at the brass threaded part.
Buy a piece of clear tubing that just fits and make your own with a male hose fitting and hose clamp. Where there's a will there's a way....
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 816
So they finally found a solution to stop people from hooking up a hose.

The hose wars have begun. Now the water bandit people have a new challenge.
__________________
2017 JayFlight 21QB
2013 Ford F150 SCrew V8

Favorite Book On The Road
Currently Reading Picture of Dorian Gray
Author of Mack Thomas: The Total Beat
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,274
A pipe wrench, the understanding your going to get soaked, and a standard hose bib to screw back into the empty spot you yanked that turd off of?
Best case there’s a shut off prior to the spigot?

I didn’t say it wasn’t extreme but it would work lol
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,148
Sounds like high water pressure.

In the TT, I have successfully use a water bandit on these faucets, no hose clamp, I cannot open the valve fully. With a hose clamp, I have fully opened the valve. I always stand there watching the water bandit, 1st sign of it bulging back off on the valve.

At BSA week long summer, I use a cut off end of a garden hose, and use 1 or 2 hose clamps, that usually keeps it on tightly, over the course of the week, with all the kids pulling yanking and so forth on the hose.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 392
12" of an old garden hose with the male end and a ss screw type clamp.
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 10,469
Did anyone ever stop to think there is a reason they dont want you hooking a hose to those taps? Where I host at water is trucked in a few inconsiderate campers can empty the tank leaving nothing for anyone else....
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
93 days boondocking in 2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Did anyone ever stop to think there is a reason they dont want you hooking a hose to those taps? Where I host at water is trucked in a few inconsiderate campers can empty the tank leaving nothing for anyone else....
Then there should be signs or literature to explain the reasons for the weird water spigots in my opinion. If your going to cater to RVs then you need to supply the means to use the RV in the park or explain to someone why certain things are being implemented (like water rationing). Just sticking up weird water taps isn’t going to be the answer because obviously it leaves people puzzled and frustrated when they weren’t given a reason for the inability to fill the RVs water so they can use it as intended.
The amount of ineptitude I’ve seen on behalf of some Government/State run parks could fill a book in some of the places I’ve camped. Then some are ran so well I’m amazed every time! So the thought that someone just didn’t consider campers when they installed those spigots doesn’t seem crazy to me. If there are other reasons then just let people know right?
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
So the thought that someone just didnít consider campers when they installed those spigots doesnít seem crazy to me. If there are other reasons then just let people know right?
No it's because of the inconsiderate person who camps close by, has 100' of hose put's on a wye and stays connected. That creates a health hazard since you could end up with a back-flow issue. Seen that many times and fights that it has caused. So they just eliminate the problem with those spigots. Some Parks use to have spring loaded spigots. You had to hold it open to fill your jug, that served the same purpose.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Chester
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Then there should be signs or literature to explain the reasons for the weird water spigots in my opinion. If your going to cater to RVs then you need to supply the means to use the RV in the park or explain to someone why certain things are being implemented (like water rationing). Just sticking up weird water taps isnít going to be the answer because obviously it leaves people puzzled and frustrated when they werenít given a reason for the inability to fill the RVs water so they can use it as intended.
The amount of ineptitude Iíve seen on behalf of some Government/State run parks could fill a book in some of the places Iíve camped. Then some are ran so well Iím amazed every time! So the thought that someone just didnít consider campers when they installed those spigots doesnít seem crazy to me. If there are other reasons then just let people know right?
Is it possible a sign was posted but some inconsiderate RV'r that wanted to otherwise fill their tank torn the sign down. Also, did the site the RV'r booked say it includes a water hookup? If not, then you are not entitled to fill your water tank at the price paid for the campground.

And here is something else to ponder. Maybe those spigots are not necessarily to keep people from filing fresh water tanks or cans but rather to keep people from washing their cars, boats etc...
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No it's because of the inconsiderate person who camps close by, has 100' of hose put's on a wye and stays connected. That creates a health hazard since you could end up with a back-flow issue. Seen that many times and fights that it has caused. So they just eliminate the problem with those spigots. Some Parks use to have spring loaded spigots. You had to hold it open to fill your jug, that served the same purpose.
I guess I still donít understand the logic. If thatís the case, report to a Ranger thatís happening. If some idiot by me had a 100í hose and a Y hooked up to a public spigot it wouldnít just be ignored. Are the Rangers not making rounds like they do around where I camp making sure people arenít being idiots? So there are a handful of idiots doing this so the consensus is ďfine, no water for any RVs?Ē

Iíve used the spring loaded spigots around here, I think itís a great fix to a small problem. The majority of campers arenít selfish morons and to just blanket fix it by making it unavailable to use for the rest seems excessive?
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Is it possible a sign was posted but some inconsiderate RV'r that wanted to otherwise fill their tank torn the sign down. Also, did the site the RV'r booked say it includes a water hookup? If not, then you are not entitled to fill your water tank at the price paid for the campground.

And here is something else to ponder. Maybe those spigots are not necessarily to keep people from filing fresh water tanks or cans but rather to keep people from washing their cars, boats etc...
Possibility for sure, the couple of posts up top said theyíve become standard around those parts and led me to believe itís a widespread problem not some isolated incident. We donít have those kind of spigots around here. They use the spring loaded kind you have to sit there and hold to fill.
Iím just playing devils advocate. If thereís a widespread water thief problem running rampant in the parks it news to me or the East coast isnít affected yet
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Possibility for sure, the couple of posts up top said theyíve become standard around those parts and led me to believe itís a widespread problem not some isolated incident. We donít have those kind of spigots around here. They use the spring loaded kind you have to sit there and hold to fill.
Iím just playing devils advocate. If thereís a widespread water thief problem running rampant in the parks it news to me or the East coast isnít affected yet
One of the SPs we visit often has changed over to this style. There old faucets were still swing style with hose threads, where leaking, so having to change them made sense. I bet the ultimate reason behind no threads is the back flow prevention. No hose connection, no back flow preventor needed, no maintenance required. no concerns about someone connecting up there black waste flush hose to the potable water source??? just a thought
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I guess I still donít understand the logic. If thatís the case, report to a Ranger thatís happening. If some idiot by me had a 100í hose and a Y hooked up to a public spigot it wouldnít just be ignored. Are the Rangers not making rounds like they do around where I camp making sure people arenít being idiots? So there are a handful of idiots doing this so the consensus is ďfine, no water for any RVs?Ē

Iíve used the spring loaded spigots around here, I think itís a great fix to a small problem. The majority of campers arenít selfish morons and to just blanket fix it by making it unavailable to use for the rest seems excessive?
The logic is to just eliminate a problem before it happens. Budgets have been cut so much that seeing a Ranger is becoming slim at times. You say the majority aren't selfish, I would say weren't since that is rapidly changing with the large influx of new owners. Our society is more and more all about "ME" instead of "US"...
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
One of the SPs we visit often has changed over to this style. There old faucets were still swing style with hose threads, where leaking, so having to change them made sense. I bet the ultimate reason behind no threads is the back flow prevention. No hose connection, no back flow preventor needed, no maintenance required. no concerns about someone connecting up there black waste flush hose to the potable water source??? just a thought
Sure makes boon-docking seem much more desirable doesnít it. Itís honestly a shame your probably right, and the reason is inconsiderate people ruining for most. People black flushing at fresh water spigots, laying stinky slinkyís across picnic tables, leaving gloves and trash at dump stations, littering all over the trails, black smoke rolling across from trash fires in the wood pits, and on and on. Makes you wonder what about the outdoors these people enjoy. Maybe their house is so disgusting they needed somewhere else to destroy?
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Screwby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The logic is to just eliminate a problem before it happens. Budgets have been cut so much that seeing a Ranger is becoming slim at times. You say the majority aren't selfish, I would say weren't since that is rapidly changing with the large influx of new owners. Our society is more and more all about "ME" instead of "US"...
Unfortunately I think you may be right Grumpy
__________________
1999 Suburban 2500 4x4
2016 Jayflight 23RB Elite, Fiberglass, Polar Package
400w Renogy RV solar kit w/ Bluetooth, 100w Renogy solar suitcase
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Our society is more and more all about "ME" instead of "US"...
My favorite saying for the "ME First" society.

"They are president and CEO of their chapter of the ME First Society"
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Then there should be signs or literature to explain the reasons for the weird water spigots in my opinion. If your going to cater to RVs then you need to supply the means to use the RV in the park or explain to someone why certain things are being implemented (like water rationing). Just sticking up weird water taps isnít going to be the answer because obviously it leaves people puzzled and frustrated when they werenít given a reason for the inability to fill the RVs water so they can use it as intended.
The amount of ineptitude Iíve seen on behalf of some Government/State run parks could fill a book in some of the places Iíve camped. Then some are ran so well Iím amazed every time! So the thought that someone just didnít consider campers when they installed those spigots doesnít seem crazy to me. If there are other reasons then just let people know right?
Just seeing that there isn't a hose connection isn't enough to know you aren't suppose to attach a hose?
__________________

__________________
2017 JayFlight 21QB
2013 Ford F150 SCrew V8

Favorite Book On The Road
Currently Reading Picture of Dorian Gray
Author of Mack Thomas: The Total Beat
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×