Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Just curious, what is done differently between and home burned and professionally burned DVD (VHS to DVD) that would impact longevity?

I only want to go through this process once

Bob
Since DVD's will likely be obsolete before you know it the best thing to do is get the VHS tapes converted to PC files. You can back those files up as much as you like.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Lady Fitzgerald,

As mentioned in an earlier post, I did one successful VHS to DVD burn, but I can't get any of the other unused DVD+R disc's to "initialize". I also found out a few hours ago that this a common problem with the Samsung unit I'm using, doesn't recognize disc's that it should...
Darn! I was hoping you had gotten it working.

Quote:
...I understand the process of "pressing" a DVD/CD within a mass production environment, but are you saying that if I hand over my VHS tapes to a professional they will "press" me a DVD rather than "burn" me a DVD copy of the VHS data?

Bob
You could but to say it would be cost effective would be like saying the national debt is pocket change. Pressing CDs and DVDs are normally done only when being done in huge quantities, as in several thousand, because of the initial costs for making the masters and stampers. Making digital copies is far less expensive and is fairly easy for DIYers. Would that Samsung rig be able to make digital copies for you or will it only burn to DVD?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #23

RE, I would agree with both CG and LF on the electronic file backup. DVD's can deteriorate over time and become un-readable based on material breakdown. The same can be said for tapes like what you are converting. While the new media is smaller it is more succeptable to breakdown due the upgrades it features. While currently there is no certain one media you can put it all on and expect it to last forever. The best thing is to have a few copies in variuos forms to back each up. External hard drives are cheap for the amount of storage they have but can fail. I had it happen already. Pocket drives are pretty reliable and cheap so a few of them would work nicely for you in this case of another backup.
An offsite backup like LF is refferring to is good. Even youtube if you don't mind the public viewing which may occur. Being home videos this may not be a big deal.
As for the formatting process I can't tell you what's happening but some media does not work in all machines or PC's. Also error's in burning can make a DVD or CD unusable if it is not RW. I have found using RW to best suit me since I could keep adding to the DVD over time so I don't have several 10-15 minute DVD's laying around. Also since the process can take forever, if your system locks up you cannot go back and fix it. The DVD-R is not going to take a new file or overwrite.

Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
...An offsite backup like LF is refferring to is good. Even youtube if you don't mind the public viewing which may occur. Being home videos this may not be a big deal...
One reason I mentioned sites like Carbonite and Mozy is they are far more stable than free cloud storage. Free storage has been known to be discontinues with little or no storage. The paid ones are more likely to be around for a reasonable length of time. they are also easier to use since the backups happen automatically. The only downsides are a broadband connection is needed and they signicantly increase your internet usage, which could be a problem if you compute a lot and have a plan with a small bandwidth cap, such as celluar service. An alternative to cloud storage for offsite backups is to keep backups in a safety deposit box or with a trusted friend or relative but it is a nuisance to keep up with.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #25

When I went through this process I bought a Panasonic combo VHS/DVD recorder. It's worked well for me at copying all my homemade VHS tapes. It has a mode that measures how long the tape is and then sets the recording quality to max for that length. DVDs have played in several other players and my laptop with no problems.
azjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Azjerry,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Do you happen to know the year/model number of the Panasonic?

Thanks,

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #27

Just noticed this thread.I'm just too lazy.We just dropped off about 40 VHS tapes at a place in Longview called "DVD Memories".Price seems reasonable and they can even do old cassette voice tapes which we have several from back when {.we would send cassetes instead of letters}.
Once on the DVD not a chore to make a copy.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Azjerry,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Do you happen to know the year/model number of the Panasonic?

Thanks,

Bob
Thanks.

I'll have to look up the info at home. The unit is, probably, at least 5 years old.
azjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Darn! I was hoping you had gotten it working.
.....snip
UPDATE: It's now working!

Instead of using a DVD+R disc, I tried a DVD-R disc today....., and the VHS data transfer worked great! The Samsung recorder didn't need to initialize the DVD-R disc, and after finalizing the copied DVD-R disc it played just fine in my new $40 Sony DVD player (remember, my old Sony player wouldn't read home burned disc's).

Back in business.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
When I went through this process I bought a Panasonic combo VHS/DVD recorder. It's worked well for me at copying all my homemade VHS tapes. It has a mode that measures how long the tape is and then sets the recording quality to max for that length. DVDs have played in several other players and my laptop with no problems.
For Rustic Eagle:
It's a Panasonic DMR-ES35V that I bought in July of 2007.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #31

Quote:
For Rustic Eagle:
It's a Panasonic DMR-ES35V that I bought in July of 2007.
It's probably going bad.... I usually only get 2 years out of a "burner" in my computer
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For Rustic Eagle: It's a Panasonic DMR-ES35V that I bought in July of 2007.
azjerry,

Appreciate the follow-up..., and based on reviews your Panasonic unit has had far less issues than the Samsung I have been working with, but for the "moment" it seems to be working with the DVD-R discs.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS