Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2024, 08:32 PM   #1

Voltage from solar panels

Have a Renogy system. Prior to this trip used a 100 watt solar panel, everything worked fine. Purchased a second panel along with the connectors to put them in series. The system does not work.

Dumb question, but should I be able to measure the voltage coming off the two panels at the connection to the controller. I tried checking all the fittings etc. but still got 0 volts when I tried to measure. I don't know enough about solar to understand if that is even the issue.

The controller lights are all correct. I did notice that the 40 amp circuit breaker (I replaced the 40 amp fuse) was clicking about every 10 seconds when I hooked up the system to the solar connection on the frame.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:41 PM   #2

I don't think they should be in series? Shouldn't they be in parallel?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:34 PM   #3

Thanks, could be my ignorance. I have 2 panel. I connect the first panel to the second panel. Then, I connect to the controller. I thought that meant they were in series, but not my expertise. This is the way Renogy says to connect two panels.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 06-17-2024, 10:32 PM   #4

Very easy to test a solar panel. See the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-06-17 213049.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 10:41 PM   #5

2 panels should be in parallel which is most common. That means they are across each other rather than inline with each other. Series could work but if you have a bad panel your output would be zero.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:00 PM   #6

Thank you. I will do this test tomorrow if there is sun. I connected one panel to the other panel and then connected to the Controller. Since Renogy supplied the connectors I don't think there is a polarity issues since each wire connector only plugs into "one connection." Now I am wondering if one of the panels is bad. Guess I need to go back to my basic electronics book to understand series vs. parallel .
Old 06-18-2024, 08:33 AM   #7

Your panels should be connected in parallel, not series as it sounds like you did. You should be using a set of Y connectors that look like this to allow for two panels to be connected in parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1592.jpeg  
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:40 AM   #8

Thank you. Those are the exact connectors I have. My mistake line in defining series vs. parallel.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:39 PM   #9

For reference, hereís a simple two panel diagram for double-checking your connections.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1595.jpeg  
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar panel voltage