Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Warranty on Harris Deep Cycle Batteries?

2017 Precept 31UL, closing in on 12 months of ownership and 10,000 miles. I have run load tests on the two Harris 27D170 coach batteries and determined that one of them has a bad cell. Is there a meaningful warranty on these batteries? If so, what would I have to do to take advantage of it? Google search reveals that many RV owners seem to think that, whatever the Harris warranty may be, it is “worthless.”
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #2

I would start here:

https://www.harrisbattery.com/warranty

All they can do is say no.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

Harris battery

After several phone conversations with Harris they would stand behind them but good luck finding a Harris distributor - not West of the Mississippi - ultimately Jayco replaced mine - if you look at the Harris website the battery that you have isn't listed as a deep cycle battery & if you look on your battery you won't find an amp hour rating ( all deep cycle batteries have an amp hour rating )

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
I would start here:

https://www.harrisbattery.com/warranty

All they can do is say no.

Murff
The warranty page on the Harris web site does appear to imply “worthless.” Is there ANYONE who is willing to go through that gauntlet? Jayco must be getting Harris batteries really really cheap to be associating with a company like that.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

Jayco will warranty Harris batteries for up to one year. Ours were dropping from 12.6v to 12.1 overnight with only an LED light on and playing the stereo. They were replaced at the dealer with Interstates no questions asked.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

I'd have to simply look a the economics of finding a dealer who will warranty the product and the hassle involved vs going to Costco and purchasing new Interstate batteries with a decent warranty you know will be honored.

Not being familiar with Harris products I don't know what the answer is at this point. However, as VicR noted I would start with the Jayco dealer.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'd have to simply look a the economics of finding a dealer who will warranty the product and the hassle involved vs going to Costco and purchasing new Interstate batteries with a decent warranty you know will be honored.

Not being familiar with Harris products I don't know what the answer is at this point. However, as VicR noted I would start with the Jayco dealer.

I view going to a dealer as a last resort. For anything. We have had our 2017 Precept for 12 months and 10,000 miles, and it hasn’t been to a dealer yet.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
I view going to a dealer as a last resort. For anything. We have had our 2017 Precept for 12 months and 10,000 miles, and it hasn’t been to a dealer yet.

Then the solution is pretty simple...
Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #9

Jayco Motorized CS informs me that they will replace the defective battery, no problem.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

I think Harris batteries are a store label that are Superlex batteries made in Russelville, Kentucky. I have used multiple Superlex batteries for several years and found them to be good batteries. In additional to many starting batteries used here on the farm, I have had there deep cycle batteries in our electric only reservoir boat. They also have performed well. Out of probably 2 dozen batteries, I have had one with premature failure.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Jayco Motorized CS informs me that they will replace the defective battery, no problem.
Insist they replace both, new and old batteries tied together in a battery bank is not ideal.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Insist they replace both, new and old batteries tied together in a battery bank is not ideal.
Duly noted. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I think Harris batteries are a store label that are Superlex batteries made in Russelville, Kentucky. I have used multiple Superlex batteries for several years and found them to be good batteries. In additional to many starting batteries used here on the farm, I have had there deep cycle batteries in our electric only reservoir boat. They also have performed well. Out of probably 2 dozen batteries, I have had one with premature failure.
Good to hear. I’m not inclined to write Harris off based on just one failure. . . . If there are further indications of poor quality, I’ll probably go to Costco and buy a pair of Interstates.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Good to hear. I’m not inclined to write Harris off based on just one failure. . . . If there are further indications of poor quality, I’ll probably go to Costco and buy a pair of Interstates.
If you elect to replace both, you might consider replacing with a pair of real deep-cycle 6-volt batteries wired in series. You will most likely increase your battery bank's capacity and lifespan by doing so. The Harris batteries are not "true" deep-cycle batteries, they probably also have a cold cranking rating which actual deep-cycle batteries do not. Much information on the forum here about the differences between real deep-cycle batteries and those that are hybrid batteries such as your Harris ones likely are.

I had Harris batteries originally too, also failed early. Replaced with four Trojan T-105 6-volt units and have never looked back.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
If you elect to replace both, you might consider replacing with a pair of real deep-cycle 6-volt batteries wired in series. You will most likely increase your battery bank's capacity and lifespan by doing so. The Harris batteries are not "true" deep-cycle batteries, they probably also have a cold cranking rating which actual deep-cycle batteries do not. Much information on the forum here about the differences between real deep-cycle batteries and those that are hybrid batteries such as your Harris ones likely are.

I had Harris batteries originally too, also failed early. Replaced with four Trojan T-105 6-volt units and have never looked back.
Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely keep that option in mind.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:

Actually this is not true as a real deep cycle battery will turn a starter on an engine and the manufactures will post the CCA on their batteries. When used in the marine application sometimes the battery bank must be used to start the engine if the starting battery has gone dead. When on the ocean redundancy is imperative.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Actually this is not true as a real deep cycle battery will turn a starter on an engine and the manufactures will post the CCA on their batteries. When used in the marine application sometimes the battery bank must be used to start the engine if the starting battery has gone dead. When on the ocean redundancy is imperative.
I wasn't trying to imply a deep-cycle battery won't start an engine, my Trojan's start my Cummins Onan 8KW diesel every time. But they are not designed to be used as primary starting batteries in a vehicular application. They have no CCA rating from Trojan. True deep-cycle batteries such as used in golf carts, forklifts, and power storage banks typically do not. Dual purpose, sometimes labeled as "Marine" batteries, will have a CCA rating but they are not constructed internally the same as a golf cart or forklift battery are.

Here is a link to my battery's spec sheet showing no CCA rating:http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf
Old 11-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #18

Deep Cycle Battery as a Starting Battery "There is generally no problem with this, providing that allowance is made for the lower cranking amps compared to a similar size starting battery. As a general rule, if you are going to use a true deep cycle battery (such as the Concorde SunXtender) also as a starting battery, it should be oversized about 20% compared to the existing or recommended starting battery group size to get the same cranking amps. That is about the same as replacing a group 24 with a group 31. With modern engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition, it generally takes much less battery power to crank and start them, so raw cranking amps is less important than it used to be. On the other hand, many cars, boats, and RV's are more heavily loaded with power sucking "appliances", such as megawatt stereo systems etc. that are more suited for deep cycle batteries. We have used the Concorde SunXtender AGM batteries in some of our vehicles with no problems.
It will not hurt a deep cycle battery to be used as a starting battery, but for the same size battery they cannot supply as much cranking amps as a regular starting battery and is usually much more expensive."

This is from Wind and Sun a solar power application. True deep cycle batteries will have a CCA rating, maybe not every battery but just because it has a CCA rating doesn't mean it's not a true deep cycle battery.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #19

Our 2018 Precept 36T came with Interstate Batteries. I️ am not pleased with run time, any idea how much capacity can be gained by going to 6v true deep cycle batters in series ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassprowannabe View Post
Our 2018 Precept 36T came with Interstate Batteries. I️ am not pleased with run time, any idea how much capacity can be gained by going to 6v true deep cycle batters in series ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are asking about house batteries, correct?
What are the ratings on the Interstate batteries? Usually they are 85Ah ratings. So if you have 2, you have a total of 170Ah, of which you can only use 85Ah (battery 50% rule). They also make 100Ah RV/Marine type batteries. Two Trojan T105 (6 volt) batteries will give you a total of 220Ah (110Ah useable), or the T145 (6 volt) batteries will give you 260 Ah (130Ah usable). I have the T145 batteries (with 250Watts of SOLAR) and have not gone down past 12VDC (50% rule). So the T145's fit our needs perfectly.

USBattery also has a nice line of true deep cycle batteries. You can get 12VDC true deep cycle batteries but the size and cost may be an issue.

Without knowing what your electrical needs are (12 volt demand), it is difficult to make a suggestion. Inverter? Tv watching, heating, fans, water pump.... Also, we have no idea as how you maintained your existing batteries? Have they ever been discharged below 10.5volts? once? twice?... Always keep the voltage above 12.0VDC? If so, that has an impact on how much you can get out of a battery, going forward.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote