Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

Water heater not working in the middle of our 2nd trip!

Hello All,
Last month I purchased a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 367BHSW. IT is equipped with a Atwood water heater (gas only, no electric).

We left for a week long trip yesterday. We got to the campground and the hot water heater worked fine. I had hot water and it was all working good. At the end of the night when we no longer needed hot water, I turned the switch off for the hot water heater.

This morning I woke up and turned on the switch for the hot water heater. About an hour later my wife went to take a shower and told me there was no hot water... I went outside and checked the hot water and found there was no flame inside the water heater. I turned the switch off for 10 minutes and came back... still no flame.

I opened things up a little more and found that when you turn on the switch for the water heater, you can hear gas flowing inside the water heater. It flows for about 5 seconds then stops for 5 seconds then goes again. I don't hear the igniter ticking at all. So, I tried manually lighting the pilot. It lit, but stayed lit for 5 seconds then shut off... then went through cycling the gas on and off again every 5 seconds.

I'm 300 miles away from home, no dealer around for miles, and in the middle of a trip... i'm hoping someone has an idea for an easy fix?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #2

How full is your tank?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #3

I just had this same issue occur on my 2017 287 slx. It’s the second board to fail. My first failed board would stay lit if you used a lighter to ignite the flame. My second board failed the same as you are describing. I ordered a replacement board from Amazon so I could finish our trip. I am currently running the hot water every day in my yard to see if the problem has been fixed. I did move the board ground wire to a bolt on the gas valve. I’ll add pictures of that after. The link below is the board but I chose the one that had Amazon Prime shipping. It came is labeled as an Atwood board.

Dometic 91367 Circuit Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYSEX99..._2AD2AbMXHC2Z1
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #4

JRD,

Not trying to avoid a self-fix here, but if your in or near a private (or even public) campground, most places have a mobile tech they can call for you.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Here’s the pictures of where I moved the wire to. It seems to be a better location than the side of the exhaust vent. It was on the screw to the left of the latch.
Attached Thumbnails
9D00E99E-369F-405F-9BBD-EB212A70550F.jpg   BB145E14-E482-45B4-8261-5C8D53C773FB.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

Since it's new, have you tried calling Jayco?
Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

Smile

We just bought a 287BHS with an Atwood 6 gallon WH and the exact same thing happened to us on out 2nd trip. No hot water and it would try to light but no spark. I tried to light it manually and it would light for a split second but it would not stay lit. Took it to the dealer and he replaced the board, after seeing this happen before. That fixed the problem. It sounds like the same bad board issue. Hope this helps!
Davetheslave
Davetheslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD761 View Post
Hello All,

Last month I purchased a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 367BHSW. IT is equipped with a Atwood water heater (gas only, no electric).

We left for a week long trip yesterday. We got to the campground and the hot water heater worked fine. I had hot water and it was all working good. At the end of the night when we no longer needed hot water, I turned the switch off for the hot water heater.

This morning I woke up and turned on the switch for the hot water heater. About an hour later my wife went to take a shower and told me there was no hot water... I went outside and checked the hot water and found there was no flame inside the water heater. I turned the switch off for 10 minutes and came back... still no flame.

I opened things up a little more and found that when you turn on the switch for the water heater, you can hear gas flowing inside the water heater. It flows for about 5 seconds then stops for 5 seconds then goes again. I don't hear the igniter ticking at all. So, I tried manually lighting the pilot. It lit, but stayed lit for 5 seconds then shut off... then went through cycling the gas on and off again every 5 seconds.

I'm 300 miles away from home, no dealer around for miles, and in the middle of a trip... i'm hoping someone has an idea for an easy fix?

Had same experience, after 1k trip. Was control board. Have electric option?
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #9

Hello All..
We ended up cutting our trip short and taking the RV back to the dealer. It was dropped off last Thursday and haven't heard back yet..
Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #10

Sorry to hear you had to cut your trip short. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon for you. Please let us know what they find.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #11

Sorry for the late update everyone:
Dealership replaced the circuit board inside the water heater. Fixed the problem!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Glad to hear you got it fixxed...

I had a problem last week with mine.. i figured out it was the thermal cutoff fuse. ( that thing that looks like a diode ). mine was acting exactly like yours. " no spark ".. replaced my cutoff fuse and yippeee. worked like new. for trouble shooting i used an ohm meter, fuse was open,, also i temporarily bypassed the fuse for troubleshooting, it worked after bypassing, but it needs to be in there in case of a fire,, it cuts the gas flow off.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote