Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #1

Water heater temp adjustment? And tv

Night three in our new Eagle with no problems, but a couple of quirks. The water heater isn't heating the water more than around 90, cooler than our old hot tub. It just occurred to me there might be a thermostat to adjust, but it's too late, too wet and too cold to run out there tonight and take a look. Anyone know about this? Also, we're using propane as a couple hours on electric seemed to do nada last night. We didn't have water our first night.

Also, we have Dish at home and have never used air television signals since the switchover to digital. Scanning on one TV brings up some channels and scanning on the bedroom TV brings in some different ones. Seems odd. Also, this KOA just installed cable but scanning for cable channels brought up nothing on either set. The coax bridge seems to be set up properly, connected to both A and B for exterior cable input. Maybe it's the campground, but the manager said ours was one they tested for a signal. Any thoughts?

Also
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #2

If you are hooked up to a dish or cable you have to turn off the amplifier. You also have to have your television set to cable to get all the channels. We keep our water heater on propane all the time. It should heat up in just a few minutes. Is your hot water tank bypass turned the right way? If your trailer was winterized the bypass may be turned on, thus no water in the tank.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
snip......Is your hot water tank bypass turned the right way? If your trailer was winterized the bypass may be turned on, thus no water in the tank.
X2

I'm not aware of the ability to adjust the HW tank temp, but maybe I will learn something here.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

Never seen a temp control on our HWH, it's either hot or not.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Hot or Not here. Fortunately mine is Hot. I usually use electric when I'm on a FHU. Why pay for propane when electric is already paid for. If I need a really fast recovery I use both.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Night four. Again, they have cable here, but I don't. Set is set for cable, booster is off, autoscan gets zip. Air is fine. I wonder if the new coax could be flawed. Connectors appear copesthetic.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Night four. Again, they have cable here, but I don't. Set is set for cable, booster is off, autoscan gets zip. Air is fine. I wonder if the new coax could be flawed. Connectors appear copesthetic.
Hummmm, if the KOA is positive that there is a signal at the campsite box, then it has to be between the KOA box and the inside amplifier box. Have you removed the amplifier face plate to insure that all the connections have been made on the back side? Can you access/see (confirm connection) where the cable is connected on the "inside wall" for the outside cable connection?

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #8

Rustic, I hope the problem is the coax, but more likely you've hit on it. To be clear, this is the second campground with cable that we've had the problem in. Our neighbor here gets all the channels he's supposed to.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When you turn the amplifier off, does the light go off as well?

Here is a document on the amplifier: http://www.fishhousesupply.com/images/booster.pdf

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #10

You might try and bypass the trailers system and go from the cable outside right to the television.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #11

Had a similar problem this weekend on my new 284BHS, but with a satellite dish. No signal. After making sure the coaxes were properly attached behind the jack under the television, I plugged in directly from the dish to the receiver, bypassing the TT. Got a signal. Then I checked the TT coax with a multimeter. It checked good.

Then I realized that there was some caulk on the threads of the outside jack. This was keeping the coax connector from screwing in all the way. Cleaned that off, took care to make sure the wire in the center of the coax was going into the jack, and tried again. Went back into the TT, and everything worked.

So, check and make sure the coax is screwing into the outside jack far enough. I have about 25 years of experience dealing with satellite dishes, and felt a bit dumb about how long it took me to figure it out, but it works now.
AR Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

As it turned out the directions on the wall plate were incorrect. It wanted the jumper attached to A and B. This only allowed air reception with light on. I found an unconnected coax in the area, disconnected jumper from A port, connected the new coax to A and got cable. So now we have a different problem. Set 2 in bedroom picked up no cable on first scan, one channel on second scan, then lost it on a 3rd scan. But turning boost back on and switching to air, the scan picked up many local channels BUT Set 1 would no longer pick up any air, as it had before, So we went back and forth depending which set we wanted to watch, a real pain. Set 1 still won't pick up air tonight where we only have air. Set 2 picked up a number of channels. So I'm stumped. Maybe stupid, too. I looked at the wiring diagram you sent and will pull things apart when we get home. But it would seem sets 1 and 2 should pretty much pick up the same stuff.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Banjo View Post
Had a similar problem this weekend on my new 284BHS, but with a satellite dish. No signal. After making sure the coaxes were properly attached behind the jack under the television, I plugged in directly from the dish to the receiver, bypassing the TT. Got a signal. Then I checked the TT coax with a multimeter. It checked good.

Then I realized that there was some caulk on the threads of the outside jack. This was keeping the coax connector from screwing in all the way. Cleaned that off, took care to make sure the wire in the center of the coax was going into the jack, and tried again. Went back into the TT, and everything worked.

So, check and make sure the coax is screwing into the outside jack far enough. I have about 25 years of experience dealing with satellite dishes, and felt a bit dumb about how long it took me to figure it out, but it works now.
I had a DISH guy come out last year on another trailer and get me a picture. I've had DISH from their first year, used to haul the dish from home to cabin, screw it down to a hunk of RR tie and point it. Sure as H can't do that anymore! Bottom line, the guy ended up having me run coax directly from dish to inside the TT and into the Telly. He said half the trailers can't handle a sat signal. Have you had that experience? In the future we'll be setting up a DISH for extended stays and I'd sure like it to work the proper way and not fish coax all over the place, displeasing DW.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #14

And I resolved the WH problem. Thanks to everybody who commented on both subjects.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Bottom line, the guy ended up having me run coax directly from dish to inside the TT and into the Telly. He said half the trailers can't handle a sat signal. Have you had that experience? In the future we'll be setting up a DISH for extended stays and I'd sure like it to work the proper way and not fish coax all over the place, displeasing DW.
When he says that, he means there is excessive signal loss. The loss can be from poor connections, or from poor quality coax. A simple multi-meter will not tell you the loss conditions. Without special test equipment, it comes down to trial and error.

For the connections, check to see that any connectors are clean and firmly tight, that is, more than finger tight. Ideally, the coax within the TT has a minimum number of connectors in line. Each connector represents some degree of loss.

For the coax itself, the grade of choice is RG-6. An older, higher loss cable sometimes used, is RG-59. Often, the coax will have the numbers printed on the cable jacket. Another way to tell, the RG-59 is 0.242 inch outside diameter, and RG-6 is slightly larger at 0.266 inch outside diameter.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #16

Wink

Thanks, David. Connections are finger tight. Will snug up. Also, I'll check my coax as to which it is. I'll look for the numbers. Of course, if they are blurry I'll just eyeball it for the couple hundredths difference. Left my calipers at home.
'14 Denali XL
Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And I resolved the WH problem........snip
Ok, I give, what was the problem

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Ok, I give, what was the problem

Bob
Well, I just cracked the mixing valve open a bit. Cooled it a bit and now have plenty of hot water. Probably not a permanent fix but good enough to get home on.
'14 Denali XL