Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #21

Before having our camper, we tented a lot and all over the country. I picked up a plastic pickup truck tool box that slipped in between the bed rails and sat on the floor. Very weather resistant. I know I did not pay for it and it has been very good for camping supplies. If we were car camping we could get most of our gear into it. If you were a bit closer, I would tell you to stop by and pick it up.

As for sealing the wood. Personally, I would mix up a mixture of Boiled Linseed oil (must be the boiled type) and Turpentine 50:50 ratio or more turpentine. Brush it on until the wood will not absorb it any more. It soaks into the wood pores and seals it up really nicely. The only downside, it can take up to a month to fully dry, especially if it can soak in deep. Another option, which would be more costly, is to take epoxy resin and fiberglass and coat the box just like a modern wood canoe/kayak. Depending on the box size, might be $100 in materials. As for epoxy, I like the RAKA brand, it is a bit cheaper and very nice to work with. You would be surprised how far a 1 gallon will go, depending on your box size you should be able to get by with a quart of resin and a 1/2 quart of hardener, with a 3-4 oz glass.

Here is a picture of a box similar to my Rubbermaid box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Storage Box.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	20135

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #22

Just a little "outside the box" thoughts:

- Consider materials other than plywood. There are a whole bunch of plastics and some metals that could do a better job.

- Weather-tight also means guarding against rain from above and rain while driving. Your hinges and closure zones need to have broad overlaps, gaskets and drain channels.

- Bug-proof. You don't want it to become a haven for insects when not in use.

Just my $0.02, you are trying to re-invent the Chuck Wagon. A self-contained food storage and cooking facility. Google other people's accomplishments on the subject for a whole pot-load of very useful ideas.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Maybe I should have posted an actual AutoCAD drawing...

But the hand sketch is still needed even if a person intends to properly draft it.

I'm thinking this unit is my canvas... waiting to become art:
Utility Trailer 6' x10'

BUT!!! I can't believe my eyes:

4' x 8' Utility Trailer - 1720 Lb. Capacity

Its sad we can buy new $50 cheaper... although the new one comes totally naked without any decking at all.
Were I you, I would buy that utility trailer on CL. A coat of paint and that thing would look good as new. I would guess you could buy it for less than he's asking (my dad always told to never deny a man the opportunity to take less money) and still have plenty of budget to build your storage box, have room for bicycles and other misc items.

Regarding the box, I would do as another poster said, use 2x4s and standard 3/4-inch plywood. Caulk all the corners and seams and coat the outside with a good exterior/marine grade polyurethane. Exterior Clear - Cabots

Good luck.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote