Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

weboost drive 4g-x rv

I bought the weboost drive 4g-x RV. I'm having it installed tomorrow, but I just want to make sure I made the right decision. Does anyone else have one?

Any opinions?
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckohlhaas View Post
I bought the weboost drive 4g-x RV. I'm having it installed tomorrow, but I just want to make sure I made the right decision. Does anyone else have one?

Any opinions?
Yep, just bought one myself to use in our TT at our seasonal site.

First, it will NOT do miracles like turn none or one bar into 5 but it will help and how much help it is will be directly proportional to how strong the outside signal is and basically compensate for a signal drop that would be typical when you moved from inside the RV to outside. In general terms, we saw about a 5-10db increase in signal level (from about 105-110db to 95-100db) which was enough to turn our 1 bar ( into a high 2 or low 3 bar depending on how far from the inside antenna we were.

So placement of the inside antenna is critical in that it should be placed in an area where having the strongest possible signal is preferred. It simply doesn't have the power or range to significantly boost the signal more than 5' or so from the antenna, especially if the outside signal is weak to begin with. It also won't magically increase reception around the entire RV inside or out.

HTH.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #3

I don't have that particular model, I have some knock off from Amazon for half the price. Isolation between the donor antenna and the antenna inside is key, and the more vertical separation you can get, the better.

They don't like to operate when you are in good coverage, so I usually leave it off until I am camped and determine I need to use it. I've been camping in an area where there is zero coverage on my phone. I can use a log periodic on top of a 20' mast as the donor antenna and able to get signal into the RV and stream netflix between 5 and 10 Mbps usually.

As mentioned, the antenna inside will only radiate a few feet, so yeah, plan on where you want to use it the most and put the inside antenna there.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

Donor antenna on a mast..Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_061844.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	47986
Old 03-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

Is that a painters pole, fiberglass, a bracket, how long is the pole?

Looks real good.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #6

I was trying to avoid buying something expensive but after looking at everything, I ended up spending $$ and buying the flagpole buddy 22' that included the mount for the ladder.

Sometimes finding a cheap way of doing something doesn't end up so cheap..

Tags
lte, weboost