Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Weboost plan foiled?

I am planning to use my Weboost Drive RV in the RV when stationary. I was planning to install a DC power supply in the truck, along with an internal and external antenna. In theory, I would move the booster to the connections in the truck, on long trips and through the mountains.

I had read about the issue with Ford aluminum body and the magnetic antennas. Watching the video from Wilson Electronics, I thought I could remove and re-install the external antenna, as needed. But, it seems they only provide one double sided sticky "tape" circle upon request.

I need to be able to remove and replace it because, the garage is literally 1/4" too low to enter with the magnet mount antenna installed. So, I asked Wilson if they had an antenna that I could simply unscrew to enter the garage. I got a verbal no, but they have not answered my written request. They gave me a very legaleaze answer when, I asked if there are third party antennas that would work.

Does anyone use a third party antenna with thier weboost? And, does that antenna separate from the mount itself (like any standard antenna)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #2

Because the magnet won't stick to the truck, and I have to be able to remove the antenna; my thought is to attach a fender washer to the roof of the truck, as Weboost wants me to attach the antenna. Then I could attach the magnet antenna, to the washer.

Do you think that would work? Would the Weboost double sided "tape" hold a washer?
Old 11-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

Do you think that would work? Would the Weboost double sided "tape" hold a washer?
3M auto trim tape should.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

I purchased a galvanized deck joining plate from Home Depot and plan to attach it to the top of the fridge vent cover. That way I can stick the magnetic antenna there and the run the cable down the side of the awning arm and then through the external fridge vent on the side of the RV. That will get the cable into the RV, now I just need to figure where I want to mount the box as I need to have access to power and want to have it close enough to plug it into the dash if my daughter needs it when traveling for school.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

It seems my idea has Weboost's approval.

"We will be sending out the adhesive needed. We currently do not have a metal disc that can be used, but you are welcome to give it a try by possibly using an adhesive for the desk itself so that it is semi-permanently on your vehicle. I will send out two adhesives if you would like to give it a try. "
Old 11-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

Truck Installation

I started my dual installation, in the truck. Here is the wiring path.

I will use the Ford factory upfitter switch to power the Weboost 12VDC hardwire power supply in the truck.

Most every upfitter switch usage I found was for external devices, like light bars. I want the power from the switch to end up in the cab.

I chose switch 2:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upfitter Switch Super Duty.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	65476

Find the wire for switch 2, on the wires the label says relay 2. The wires are under the fuse box on the driver's side in the engine compartment. Just cut the original zip tie and they come loose. Gasser wires are probably on the passenger side, which would be easier...

Name:	Super Duty Upfitter Switch wires Diesel.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	65477

Because, I want the power in the cab, and the pass-through wires to the cab are on the passenger side:

Name:	Pass-through wires engine compartment.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	65478
A closer look at the 5 pass-through wires:

Name:	Pass-through wires Super Duty F350 in engine compartment Closeup.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	65479

Those 5 wires end up underneath the glove box in the cab. Remove the two push pins and the panel comes out. I used this bolt here to ground the hardwire power supply in the console:

Name:	Pass-through Super Duty wires in truck cab and ground.jpg
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	65480

More to follow:
Old 11-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

External antenna beginnings

I need to be able to remove the external antenna (as stated above), so I started making my "magnetic mount". Just a simple washer that I sprayed Ford Magnetic Gray to match the truck.

Name:	Washer.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	65481

Name:	IMG_20201115_173827242.jpg
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	65482

Once I get the adhesive disc from Wilson Electronics, I will semi-permanently attach the washer to truck.

Then this will attach to the washer when needed in the truck:

Name:	Wilson Electric External Antenna.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	65483

More to follow
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #8

Power Wiring

Fused wire from the power supply cut off for under hood installation in wire loom.

Upfitter switch side is fused with the provided Weboost power supply fuse:

Name:	Wire Loom to Upfitter power wire.jpg
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	65484

Loomed the wire over to the pass-through to get into the cab:

Name:	Wire Loom 2.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	65485

Name:	Wire Loom.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	65486

Name:	Completed Wire Loom to Pass-through.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	65487

The pass through wires on both sides are extremely short. Ford probably saved $0.15 by supplying too short wires....

Power supply wired from pass-through (and ground) to the console side, where the Weboost booster will sit when in the truck.

Name:	Power Supply Location.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	65488

More to follow
Old 11-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #9

Interior Antenna

I ran the interior antenna cable along with the power supply wire to the console. It is the second wire in the last picture.

The antenna will velcro to the dash when needed. During the rest of the time, it will sit in the glove box. The wire is run under the plate below the glove box and through the console side to the Weboost booster location.

Name:	Out of sight internal Antenna.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	65489

More to follow
Old 11-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #10

I'm not sure where you need to mount you magnetic antenna so....... I mounted a 5" x 1/8" diameter steel disc to my aluminum, tri fold tonneau cover, using nutserts. It serves as the mounting point for my CB antenna.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
I'm not sure where you need to mount you magnetic antenna so....... I mounted a 5" x 1/8" diameter steel disc to my aluminum, tri fold tonneau cover, using nutserts. It serves as the mounting point for my CB antenna.
Pulling a fifth wheel, so it pretty much has to be on the truck roof.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #12

Finished the Truck Installation

Phone Signal inside the garage:

Name:	Status of Truck Install with Upfitter switch off.png
Views:	6
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	65507

External antenna ferrous metal attachment point (AKA a washer) installed using Weboost provided (You have to ask for it, and they send it for free) adhesive:

Name:	Washer Installed.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	65508

Antenna attached to the washer:

Name:	Antenna on Washer.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	65509
It might look better, if it were centered on the roof. But, the provided antenna cable barely reaches the booster from the second rib indent.

Antenna cable pressed behind rubber trim and run behind hard plastic trim:

Name:	External Antenna behind trim.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	65511

Weboost Installed with the Upffitter switch turned off:

Name:	Booster connected with Upfitter switch Off.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	65510

More to follow
Old 11-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #13

Turned on in the Truck

Upfitter switch turned on, and solid green light, yay!

Name:	Upfitter Switch On.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	65512

Significant signal strength improvement (24dBm):

Name:	Status of Truck Install with Upfitter switch on.png
Views:	4
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	65513

Success!

Trailer install to follow
Old 11-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #14

I used a small square of galvanized metal, cut to the shape of the antenna base, used 3m tape and wally, works fine.
P.S.: this was on the roof of a motor home, but the flat roof of a car/ruck should be the same.

Good Luck.
Pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:09 AM   #15

Use it to stick a steel disc to mount the magnetic antenna to that way the disc is always hangs. But either way yoou are getting a no ground plane setup for your info and you might want to check if a ground plane is required for your antenna.

My Motorhome uses a no ground plane cb radio setup my t.ruck uses a gp setup and my Jeep I believe might be a Nagpur setUp but I’m not sure.

True each group of waves for each type of antenna is totally different like cell phone, grms, forms, ham etc so before mounting your antenna to a roof check if is steel or aluminum. Same with trunk and front hood the antenna might need steel and if you have aluminum if so do your research to find an antenna for situation and some it might not matter usually receivers only situation.
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackey View Post
Use it to stick a steel disc to mount the magnetic antenna to that way the disc is always hangs. But either way yoou are getting a no ground plane setup for your info and you might want to check if a ground plane is required for your antenna.

My Motorhome uses a no ground plane cb radio setup my t.ruck uses a gp setup and my Jeep I believe might be a Nagpur setUp but I’m not sure.

True each group of waves for each type of antenna is totally different like cell phone, grms, forms, ham etc so before mounting your antenna to a roof check if is steel or aluminum. Same with trunk and front hood the antenna might need steel and if you have aluminum if so do your research to find an antenna for situation and some it might not matter usually receivers only situation.
Already done.

The two Weboost options for cars/trucks I looked at are both ground plane independent.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #17

You might consider the new WeBoost Drive Reach RV booster and trucker antenna for maximum range.