Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

Weird AC issue on new trailer. Thermostat?

We have a new Jayflight 26BH. It has a ducted 13,500BTU Dometic AC. Uses the new style Dometic 3 button digital thermostat. When it is hot out, AC will run as long as required to cool the trailer. When outside temps are closer to set point the unit will kick on and off constantly. Often times running for only 30 to 60 seconds, cutting off for 30 to 120 seconds and so on, indefinitely. To use it in these conditions I have to set it 5 or so degrees lower than desired temps let it run until it shuts off then turn it off at the thermostat and turn it back on when the temperature rises.

I have adjusted the ceiling vents in all manner of directions to make sure they are not blowing on the thermostat. Doesn't seem to be a refrigerant charge issue or I would assume I wouldn't be able to bypass it in the manner I am. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Calmseas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Not sure if I am sold on the new Dometic thermostat with its "communication cable" we have a 2020 Jay Feather and first night at dealership yay they have a campground so you get to test all of it. Anyway the night was a bit cool so turn on heat on thermostat no problem first time, then after it shut off we noticed when it re-lit it started clicking noise in A/C furnace did ignite. Later on when unit got cool the furnace came on to blow out gas safety issue that I get but then the A/C started clicking a relay click furnace would do its blow out stuff but never ignite. Another thing dealer has the tech come over in the morning and ask if everything worked told him about it had it recorded on phone had never heard of it. He went back to shop and talked to others showed them recording and none of them had heard of it. Suggested he unplug communication cable and plug it back in make sure it is tight and have not had any problem since.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

I have the same exact problem. I also have 2020 jayflight 26bh.Been out 2 times and it kicks on and off every few minutes. any solutions?
kevinl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #4

I had a similar issue with our Dometic Cool Cat Heat pump. In heat mode it would heat up to the set temp, but when the temp dropped a degree, the blower motor would start for 1-2 seconds and stop then maybe 4-5 seconds and stop, then maybe 10-15 seconds and stop, etc. Changing the thermostat up 2 degrees the unit would kick on and run and then do the same false starting routine at the new setting. The dealer thought it was the thermostat and changed it, but it did the same thing with the new one. I ended up calling Dometic and talked them into a new unit. The new one has worked fine on heat and cooling modes.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

is there an "auto" button? or are you on just heat or just cool... if auto button it would do this...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote