Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #1

WFCO-did it!

Because of the storm, we were without power in our camper for about 20 hours while staying at my Nieces house. We have a 5 year old group 31 battery, and were plugged in to the TV, which has 2 6 year old H6 batteries. When the power came back on, I waited a couple of minutes, then checked the camper voltage............Wallah! 14.4 volts! This is from the stock converter. I was surprised to see that. I then checked the amps going to the camper battery and even after 10 minutes has gone by it was putting 22 amps back into the battery. Just for laughs I clamped the gauge around the TV cable and it read 2.6 amps. That might not be right because both the hot and ground wire go through the cable. After about 2.5 hours it stepped down to 13.6 volts. In 4 seasons of our other camper I got 14.4 volts once. I was just surprised to see this. Anyone else ever get to 14.4? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
snip....... Anyone else ever get to 14.4? Jay
Not from my original 2018 OEM WFCO, never went into "Bulk Mode" when needed.

After installing the Progressive Dynamics 4655L MBA Wildkat 55 Amp "Up-grade" Converter/Charger I was back into "Bulk Mode" business!

There are a number of JOF threads on the subject of the WFCO's poor performance and never operating in "Bulk Mode" (14.4Vdc).

Jay, maybe your 2020 Jay Flight came with a redesigned WFCO unit.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #3

My Inteli-Power 9200 Power Converter puts out 3 different voltages, one of which is 14.4 boost. I have a voltage display and noticed that a little after a year it wasn't going into boost mode. I did some troubleshooting and contacted the manufacturer. As it had a 2 year warranty they shipped me a new one. Has worked perfectly ever since.

The moral of the story - you should have a constant display of battery voltage. You will easily know if things are charging properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Converter Voltage.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

I have a plug in voltmeter/temperature plugged into the power port in the bedroom all the time. I hope that WFCO did redesign their converters compared to my previous 2016 camper. IIRC the battery was reading 12.3 volts a little bit before the power came back on. Earlier that day I ran the TV for about 20 minutes. In the past I have seen 20 amps (for a few minutes, quickly falling off as the camper battery voltage climbed) but did not measure it except to say that the truck voltage had fallen back to 14, but not back to the voltage (13.2?) that it gets pulled back to when the ECM thinks the battery is charged during day time driving. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #5

Not a lover of WFCO products and for sure feel that the integrated distribution center with the built in converter is nothing more then a cost reduction. I've failed two WFCO converters om 6 years in our SOB, The five buck ADDA fans squeal and rattle as well.

OK, got that said now is there any way as well as some room where you can gut that failed converter and use a separate and better ones such as a Progressive Dynamics stand alone 8200 series converter. Yes, you do need a 20 amp receptacle to plug in the new converter - ten bucks at any hardware store. Yes, you do need to have a good DIY attitude and use some ingenuity but the end product will be a better unit.

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote