Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

What happens?

Putting some 'worst case scenario' thoughts together....

In the event the trailer separates from the tow vehicle (both the hitch AND the safety chains fail), the breakaway switch is pulled the trailer stops because full battery power is dumped into the brakes magnets.

(Bad thought here, a trailer just stopped in the middle of the highway without showing any brake lights.)

Here's my (weird) concern, what just happened to the 7-wire umbilical that used to supply power for lighting, brakes, etc.?

I ask because the cover for the socket on the tow vehicle has a barb that links with trailer's plug to prevent the 7-pin connector from falling out.

Is the cover designed to fail? Rip loose? Open when excessive force is applied? Or does the cord fail? And where?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Team

My only comment is that will be the least of your problems!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
snip...
Here's my (weird) concern, what just happened to the 7-wire umbilical that used to supply power for lighting, brakes, etc.?

I ask because the cover for the socket on the tow vehicle has a barb that links with trailer's plug to prevent the 7-pin connector from falling out.

Is the cover designed to fail? Rip loose? Open when excessive force is applied? Or does the cord fail? And where?
I've never 'lost' a trailer, but the barb is broken on my second connector cover. I think the first one broke when something snagged on the cord during a very tight turn when I was towing a 5th wheel. I don't recall how the second one broke.

Haven't bothered to replace the cover again. I now use a short bungee to keep the plug from falling out.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

Stopped in the highway is better than careening into oncoming traffic.

That little plastic tab that holds the cable is nothing compared to forces that will be exerted to snap it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Agree with the above. And it really won't matter at the time whether the trailer lights are on or not. There will be enough sparks coming from it that traffic wouldn't see the lights anyways
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

I'm thinkin' the trailer will yank it right out of there. That flimsy plastic and wire sized hinge pin doesn't stand a chance. And I, too, think that will be the least of your problems. If it should happen, I just can't see you standing there saying, "Dang! It broke the cover off my 7-pin plug!"

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #7

...least of the problems....

I knew that when I started this thread. Just got to wondering about details. (Waaayyyy too much coffee yesterday.) We could get into insurance issues too, once the pieces were removed from the highway after this imaginary incident.

So far, I've been lucky (and paranoid enough) to have never had a trailer fall into the safety chains. That won't stop me from hooking up everything. Then double-checking.

Then checking the hitching at every stop. The tires get a temperature check (touch) and the bearings are field tested (pushed at the top with a foot) at each stop too. Plus sniffing for the very distinct odor of burnt brakes.

And proud of it!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
bap

Odds of the trailer coming to an instant complete stop a slim. Check your insurance to make sure you are covered if your trailers comes unhitched while traveling. Many insurance policies only cover a towed trailer while hitched to the tow vehicle and the minute it comes unhooked there is no longer coverage.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

I always thought about the trailer brakes having to be adjusted perfectly or it would pull to one side and flip over
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

With the hitch bouncing and trying to dig in to the black top, I doubt that one brake not dragging as much as the other will have a significant input. The only thing for sure is that the end result would not be pretty. You would clearly want to be somewhere else!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
With the hitch bouncing and trying to dig in to the black top, I doubt that one brake not dragging as much as the other will have a significant input. The only thing for sure is that the end result would not be pretty. You would clearly want to be somewhere else!!
You are somewhere else. Still traveling ahead at highway speed while the trailer has just decelerated quite rapidly.

And proud of it!
Old 06-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
All trailers are equipped the way they are and are safe and well approved by the Authorities. Vehicle Insurance companies insure all situations approved according safety approved laws. If properly hooked up according those laws you don't have to worry. Yes mechanical failure can happen but more human error happens.
Happy RVing!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #13

I think your more likely going to have issues disconnecting your TT from your hitch, then to have it come off while towing down the road. For added protection I use a lock on my hitch...towed for 50 years different trailers, only once had one come off...a 105 Artillery piece in VietNam.. course we were crossing a river and the pinon failed. We got it back on ok and continued to Khe Sahn.

I would worry about how much wood you will use for your camp fire, rather than an accident that is a million to one happening !

Good camping !!

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I think your more likely going to have issues disconnecting your TT from your hitch, then to have it come off while towing down the road. For added protection I use a lock on my hitch...towed for 50 years different trailers, only once had one come off...a 105 Artillery piece in VietNam.. course we were crossing a river and the pinon failed. We got it back on ok and continued to Khe Sahn.

I would worry about how much wood you will use for your camp fire, rather than an accident that is a million to one happening !

Good camping !!
I totally agree that difficulties during hitching and unhitching are far more likely than separation. Getting the trailer level left-to-right at the campsite is usually the biggest annoyance! Firewood is somewhere around 7th or 8th priority

As I opened this thread with "Putting some 'worst case scenario' thoughts together..." it was what happens to the electrical umbilical after two very well-engineered systems have gone into total failure.

I've been pulling various sized trailers on the public highways since I was 18. To this point, I have never even had a trailer come off the ball. That will not stop me from double checking and rechecking the hitch, brakes, tires and overall status of the rig every single time we stop for a break.

I've always arrived safely at my destination with all parts of the rig intact. I will do everything practical to keep things that way. If discussing the worst things that can go wrong; And then be comfortable with what it takes to prevent such disasters, we'll all be better for it.

And proud of it!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Odds of the trailer coming to an instant complete stop a slim. Check your insurance to make sure you are covered if your trailers comes unhitched while traveling. Many insurance policies only cover a towed trailer while hitched to the tow vehicle and the minute it comes unhooked there is no longer coverage.
This is the reason we carry a seperate insurance policy on all our trailers, even the one we tow behind our Goldwing. Hope we never have to collect on any of them.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
This is the reason we carry a seperate insurance policy on all our trailers, even the one we tow behind our Goldwing.

Already done that too!

Hope we never have to collect on any of them.
Amen, brother, amen!

And proud of it!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #17

One of my friends lost two bolts on his F150 hitch when doing some off road backcountry road to get to his fishing spot... from what he said, there was a lot of metal clancking around, before he stopped, and realized what was hapening, he bent the frame piece a bit, and bent the remainding bolts, but the boat stayed attached to the hitch. so IMO, you will start to hear something before everything breaks loose!
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post
One of my friends lost two bolts on his F150 hitch when doing some off road backcountry road to get to his fishing spot... from what he said, there was a lot of metal clancking around, before he stopped, and realized what was hapening, he bent the frame piece a bit, and bent the remainding bolts, but the boat stayed attached to the hitch. so IMO, you will start to hear something before everything breaks loose!
And that is why the receiver should be bolted, not welded to the truck's frame!

And proud of it!
Old 09-02-2015, 03:19 AM   #19

I believe that I read in my owners manual (2016 White Hawk 25BHS) that the brake lights activate even if activated by the breakaway switch... if that's any comfort!
Brian D-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:18 AM   #20

I can tell you from personal experience there will be little if anything left to recover if you are at a highway speed. I am a retired firefighter from Central Florida, with I-4 running through our area and about a million TT's coming through each year I have seen a handful of accidents involving them, some to the point of them disconnecting.
This is the reason that people are not allowed to ride in TT's while towing, there is no structural support in them that is designed to live through an accident. I have seen many many TV's in accidents and I have to say that at least 95% still have the trailer connected or at least the tongue still connected to the hitch. That union between the hitch and ball is solid. When they have come disconnected it is generally because of someone doing something stupid like a 2" hitch on a 1"7/8" ball.
You can't fix stupid
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote