Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #1

What is in this Junction Box

I am looking to install a kill switch and was wondering what is inside this junction box? It might be possible to install the switch on the cover?
Attached Thumbnails
2017-07-24 13.24.27.jpg  
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #2

I'm not sure but it doesn't look like a heavy enough guage wire to handle 30 or 50 amp? I don't think I would put it there without Jayco telling you that it would work. Contact Jayco or an autherized dealership and then you'll know for sure.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Good point!

Initially I thought they were sending a lot of current to the power distribution box inside the camper but the wires look to be just a 8 gauge. Realistically, I think it is just running low power devices on DC power.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #4

Battery connection and probably 7 pin connections for running lights, brake lights.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

Connections to TV

That is the junction box for the battery connections and to the TV. Open it up and follow the wires back to their source.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
I am looking to install a kill switch and was wondering what is inside this junction box? It might be possible to install the switch on the cover?
Doesn't matter what is in the junction box, if you just attach kill switch to outside of box. I did exactly that. I took one big red wire that run into big lego looking fuse and put kill switch. I still have power to tongue jack and with kill switch off. My breakaway switch also works with kill switch turn off, meaning now power in big red wire feeding into camper. I didn't cut into any wire in box.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Doesn't matter what is in the junction box, if you just attach kill switch to outside of box. I did exactly that. I took one big red wire that run into big lego looking fuse and put kill switch. I still have power to tongue jack and with kill switch off. My breakaway switch also works with kill switch turn off, meaning now power in big red wire feeding into camper. I didn't cut into any wire in box.
SOMBATFAM,
I have the same TT as you and have been contemplating this. Can you please post a pic of your mod? I am not quite understanding what you have accomplished, but I like the sounds of it...
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig50276 View Post
SOMBATFAM,
I have the same TT as you and have been contemplating this. Can you please post a pic of your mod? I am not quite understanding what you have accomplished, but I like the sounds of it...
Sorry but I didn't take any picture while I was installing the kill switch. My trailer is in storage lot so can't get picture. On my battery, there are 3 wires going into the positive +. I follow the biggest red wire from the battery and see that it didn't go into the junction box. Big red wire from battery connect to a red lego looking thing on the right of junction box, that is connected to another big red wire that run into the trailer. I replace the red lego thing with a kill switch. I mounted the kill switch to the junction box and ran the red wire into the junction box to keep if out of the weather.

I use this kill switch
https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Battery-...ds=kill+switch
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #9

As mentioned that is the main junction box that is providing 12v power from your battery to your trailer. The red fuse is an auto resetting 30amp fuse.

Trying to install a cutoff switch there sounds like you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. All you need to do is find a spot to mount the switch and then run the existing ground wire (remove it from the battery) to one side of the switch and then get a new wire to attach the other side of the switch to the negative terminal on the battery.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Sorry but I didn't take any picture while I was installing the kill switch. My trailer is in storage lot so can't get picture. On my battery, there are 3 wires going into the positive +. I follow the biggest red wire from the battery and see that it didn't go into the junction box. Big red wire from battery connect to a red lego looking thing on the right of junction box, that is connected to another big red wire that run into the trailer. I replace the red lego thing with a kill switch. I mounted the kill switch to the junction box and ran the red wire into the junction box to keep if out of the weather.

I use this kill switch
https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Battery-...ds=kill+switch
I hope you did not eliminate the red lego thing. That is a 30amp fuse or resettable breaker that is protecting everything in your trailer from a short.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #11

What had happen is, I broke it, thinking that it was just a connection, then found out that it is a fuse. Will replace it in the future.
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 07-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #12

If you kill the ground/ negative then you have no break away brake and can't charge battery while hooked up to TV unless you turn off kill switch. I wanted to kill power to trailer but still be able to charge battery and use tongue jack.
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #13

Help me clarify here please, sorry for the dumb question.

Do you guys kill the Positive (red) side or Negative side (Black)? Why choose one over the other since it would accomplish the same thing?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When disconnecting a battery it is recommended to start with disconnecting ground first.
Be sure all grounds are connected no bypass from other grounds i.e. electric jack.
I installed my kill switch on the cover of the battery box in one of the cable outlets.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
Help me clarify here please, sorry for the dumb question.

Do you guys kill the Positive (red) side or Negative side (Black)? Why choose one over the other since it would accomplish the same thing?

If you kill negative straight from battery, you kill everything that is powered by battery. If you kill positive, like I did, you have option to kill all positive or just positive to inside of camper. On my trailer there are 3 positive wires from battery. One is for tongue jack, another for breakaway brakes and 3rd for powering everything 12v inside the camper. Something inside my trailer was draining my battery so I install the kill switch but I can still operate my jack.
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The danger if you leave one ground or one plus on the battery..........see what happen if you use the switch from the power jack. If there is a (heavy) 12 Volt load on it will seek its way to the other side. So all the neg. or pos. has to be disconnected.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The danger if you leave one ground or one plus on the battery..........see what happen if you use the switch from the power jack. If there is a (heavy) 12 Volt load on it will seek its way to the other side. So all the neg. or pos. has to be disconnected.
On my trailer, I have one negative and 3 positive wires from battery. Negative goes to frame of trailer and one positive go to tongue jack and one go to break away switch and one big one goes to kill switch then into trailer.
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack