Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2020, 05:37 AM   #1

What’s the best MiMo antenna

We only need internet to monitor our dog, watch Netflix and surf the web etc... so We just dove in and ordered a Netgear Nighthawk hotspot from Att. It has 4 built in mimo antennas. I’m looking to install an Omnidirectional Dome type or short stick antenna on my roof. I don’t want it to stick out too high in case I cover the RV. I really want something permanent that I don’t have to bother with during my setup when we camp.

It’s my understanding that It is best to first try and use the 4 internal antennas on the nighthawk, then go to the 2 external mimo’s if I have a weak signal inside my RV. Otherwise using the external could actually be worse.

Does anyone have any feed back on what they are using that they are happy with? Not looking to spend more than $150 ish.
Again, we don’t upload a lot of content it’s mostly for the above mentioned activities, so it needs to work decently, I don’t need outrageous speeds just Good connectivity.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

Same Boat Here

I'm retired AT&T but of the land line vintage. Looking to have internet at home and on the road now. AT&T has never improved my neighborhood from 60 years old paper insulated copper wire so had to resort to Spectrum for my desktop.

Am going to follow this in order to learn what is available and become more portable in the future. I've only used my cell, tethered, as a hotspot to a laptop when away from home in the past.
Whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsupchuck View Post
I'm retired AT&T but of the land line vintage. Looking to have internet at home and on the road now. AT&T has never improved my neighborhood from 60 years old paper insulated copper wire so had to resort to Spectrum for my desktop.

Am going to follow this in order to learn what is available and become more portable in the future. I've only used my cell, tethered, as a hotspot to a laptop when away from home in the past.
Follow this channel

https://youtu.be/JPgeGO5WPH0
Old 08-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsupchuck View Post

I feel your pain sort of. Wife retired from AT&T and I am a former lineman for Bellsouth. New house, new subdivision that has AT&T fiber buried in front of my house just for the subdivision with a connection box in front of my house. Fought for 3 months to get TV and phone from AT&T. Customer service said they showed the line but it was "red" or not active. Asked how to make it active and crickets. Me and 2 neighbors which was all there was at the time out of 5 house "subdivision" finally gave up and agreed to go with Spectrum. Spectrum had to bury new service cable (only about 1/4 mile) down our street for 3 committed customers.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #5

Used this one on amazon "Proxicast 4G / LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna"
It's ok for general use. If you have some spot you go to all the time that you want coverage, I'd but 2 yagi's for that freq and mount them a few lambda apart and at 45' degrees. That is a bit of gear to drag around, the panel makes it a bit simpler but less performance.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
Used this one on amazon "Proxicast 4G / LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna"
It's ok for general use. If you have some spot you go to all the time that you want coverage, I'd but 2 yagi's for that freq and mount them a few lambda apart and at 45' degrees. That is a bit of gear to drag around, the panel makes it a bit simpler but less performance.
Thanks, I’ve send them but really want omnidirectional, permanently mounted, not looking to deploy anything.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #7

I've got a bunch of different setups I take with me but I'm holding off buying more 'things' to tweek and optimize them until the T Mobile Sprint merger and more info about their 600 MHz offering. That may be a real winner with coverage and penetration.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote