Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #1

What size surge protector

First post, so bear with me. We're picking up our new Jay Flight SLX 267 Saturday so I've been online binge shopping/reading this forum which has been really helpful.
I'm on the fence as to what type of surge protector to get and what size. We camp with my in-laws who have a White Hawk, and often times they use a 30AF to 50AM connector to plug into the 50amp outlet to avoid popping the breaker for AC. I am planning on doing the same.
However, I would like some form of surge protection as a relatively cheap insurance policy since there are so many essential electronics. My electrical knowledge is above average but I'm new to RV stuff. Would I need a 50 amp or a 30 amp protector? Camper is 30, but plugging into 50 has me wondering.
Thank you.
HuntFishCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Not needed. Just get a 30a and adapt to it with a adapter. You are only using 30a amps anyhow and will use it in the 30a amp PED most of the time likely.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

To add to norty1's good advice you should get an EMS unit, not just a surge protector. Read norty1's sig and take notice of the Hughes EMS he is using. As he said, you need the 30a, not 50.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

X2 on getting an EMS unit. Much more than just a surge protector.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #5

Thank you all. I have actually been looking at the EMS units as well as the plug surge protectors. Walmart actually has a pretty good deal on the Progressive 30 amp unit right now. Going to keep shopping around but I'll focus on 30A. Appreciate it!
HuntFishCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #6

Hello everyone,

Love the feed back on this site. Like Huntfishcamp, we are new to the RV lifestyle and are in the process of stocking up with the much needed accessories with the question of surge protector or EMS.

So, many surge protectors say the check other things other than just stopping surges and in some cases only one surge then you buy a new protector. Can someone clear up the confusion with what the EMS does that the surge protector doesn't do?

Thank you all for your input, stay safe and healthy.

Rick and Mare
RickandMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandMare View Post
Can someone clear up the confusion with what the EMS does that the surge protector doesn't do?
One of the biggest differences is that a "surge" protector does just that, protects from a SURGE in voltage, either from a malfunction, lightening strike, etc.

A EMS monitors BOTH sides. Protects from surges and also protects from low voltage, which actually happens more frequently, when everyone has their A/C running. A EMS will give you more information on what's going on (actual voltage reading, amps being used, hertz, error codes, and more, like bad wiring, open grounds, and other electrical issues).
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

On our last outing my Progressive EMS reported a low voltage event while we away. It captures current and previous errors and reports them on the remote display (ours is a permanent installed model). I expect the EMS shut the power off for a couple of minutes, captured the event for me to see and turned everything back on.
My set-up procedure is: house breakers off, pole breakers off, plug in, pole breaker on, watch the remote display for a complete cycle (volts/amps on both legs, frequency, errors), if the EMS reports no errors house breakers on.
Gimme my Progressive!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
On our last outing my Progressive EMS reported a low voltage event while we away. It captures current and previous errors and reports them on the remote display (ours is a permanent installed model). I expect the EMS shut the power off for a couple of minutes, captured the event for me to see and turned everything back on.
My set-up procedure is: house breakers off, pole breakers off, plug in, pole breaker on, watch the remote display for a complete cycle (volts/amps on both legs, frequency, errors), if the EMS reports no errors house breakers on.
Gimme my Progressive!
X2. As a newbie a couple of years ago, I bought a Progressive surge protector and it served us well. Recently bought the Progressive EMS for extra protection during a five-state trip. Lots of ACs running in small parks and the extra info and protection was comforting. I especially like that the Progressive has a shackle to lock it to the pedestal and a clear rain shield (which came into play more than once). Got a deal at CW plus Good Sam discount.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishCamp View Post
Thank you all. I have actually been looking at the EMS units as well as the plug surge protectors. Walmart actually has a pretty good deal on the Progressive 30 amp unit right now. Going to keep shopping around but I'll focus on 30A. Appreciate it!
EMS comes as plug in or hard wired.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
EMS comes as plug in or hard wired.
Yes. My current EMS is installed (50A) and the first one was a pole-mount 30A. Both have their arguments for use. I currently prefer the installed version (less for me think about).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #12

If your going to spend money on a surge suppressor, Get a 50amp. You never know if in a few years you may purchase a bigger unit that runs on 50a and then you would be set!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
If your going to spend money on a surge suppressor, Get a 50amp. You never know if in a few years you may purchase a bigger unit that runs on 50a and then you would be set!
A 30 amp system is 3 wires, a 50 amp is 4 wires.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #14

Definitely spend the extra dollars to get a unit that offers surge, over/under voltage protection and a display of current draw and voltage. I have a Surge Guard unit that in spite of the name provides all these various features. There is also a clamp that allows you to lock the unit so it can't be easily removed.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote