Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Wheel Bearing Grease Question

About to depart on a 3 week journey and was checking lug nuts and thought it best to pop the grease cap off and make sure that there was grease and a general lookie lu.

TT is a 2016 JayFeather 18RBM, single axle, the grease didn't look like the wheel bearing grease that I'm familiar with. It looked like a light weight grease you would use to grease suspension fittings, not at all stringy like the wheel bearing grease that I am used to.

Curious if others have seen this and is this the new and improved wheel bearing grease? Wondering if I should clean and repack, will be traveling across Nevada and Utah so I'm expecting warm to hot temps.

Thanks,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

I would not touch if you use the cert to add grease, and blow seals. RV dealer and Jayco will blame it on you.Just had 4 axle seals replaced which then meant all brakes had to be replaced soaked in grease! Never added one drop of grease. All under warranty!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #3

When was the last time the bearings were cleaned, inspected and repacked? I know Dexter recommends repacking every 12 months or 12K miles - I do that at the beginning of each season along with brake inspection and adjustment.

If you are unsure of the type and quality of the grease then probably best to redo them with a quality grease that meets the axle manufacturers recommendations. I wouldn't just pump more grease in at this point, especially if you don't know what kind of grease is currently in use. It's not recommended to mix grease types to avoid compatibility issues. Also, when you have things apart, if there is evidence that grease was previously pumped in I would recommend pumping some new grease in while they are apart to flush out any of the old grease that would still be in the supply line between the zirc and the back of the spindle. That way if you decide to use the zircs later on you won't contaminate your new grease.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #4

We have had this trailer for a year. I popped off the grease caps, regular cap, no zerk fitting. My question is more about the consistency or tackyness of the OEM installed grease.

It doesn't look at all like what I've used and known as wheel bearing grease. Since it is the OEM grease and there is a goodly amount I would suspect it to be OK?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #5

It sounds like things may be OK at this point. Do you check your hub temps while traveling? If not I'd pick up an inexpensive IR thermal gun and check the hub temps when you stop for breaks or fuel. Mine tend to run about 20-25 degrees above ambient temp and within a few degrees side to side though if one side is constantly in the sun it will be higher. Higher than normal temps could mean a few things including potential issues with the bearings or perhaps the brakes are dragging. Also, if you have chrome covers over the hubs I'd recommend removing those and just leaving them off so you can get accurate hub temps.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

Yes I do check with my hands on the tires and the hubs whenever we stop to gas up, stretch etc. I will leave things as they are currently and keep an eye on temps.

I do plan on repacking the wheel bearings with a hi temp disc brake grease that meets the spec I saw on etrailers.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #7

Lippert uses a red colored grease,that way they can determine if owner has added grease.Need be if seals are blown that's the first thing the RV dealer will look at! Guess what if you add grease they blame the blown seals on you. Been there done that! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #8

You can go on Dexter Axle site and it list all the comparable recommended grease for axles.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Lippert uses a red colored grease,that way they can determine if owner has added grease.Need be if seals are blown that's the first thing the RV dealer will look at! Guess what if you add grease they blame the blown seals on you. Been there done that! Thanks
Lots of greases are red. Lucas red and tacky comes to mind.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote