Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Wouldn't you rather have a "Blue top"? From what I've read, the red tops are great for high energy starting applications (like a motor that's been cammed over) and they charge and discharge very quickly. Just curious how a non-deep cycle is working out for you?

The non-deep cycle batteries are working out great for me. I don't dry camp. When I take my camper somewhere, I either hook up to electricity or I take my generator. When the camper is parked at home, it is always plugged in to my shop.

I hate marine batteries. They require too much maintenance, and they don't live a long life. I understand that deep cycle probably works best for most people and their campers, but not for me. This is what works best for me.

ETA: I probably don't need a second battery, either. I just put the second one on there because there was a place to put it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
The non-deep cycle batteries are working out great for me. I don't dry camp. When I take my camper somewhere, I either hook up to electricity or I take my generator. When the camper is parked at home, it is always plugged in to my shop.

I hate marine batteries. They require too much maintenance, and they don't live a long life. I understand that deep cycle probably works best for most people and their campers, but not for me. This is what works best for me.

ETA: I probably don't need a second battery, either. I just put the second one on there because there was a place to put it.
So there you go. Another option for a different usage pattern.

I checked out the Everstarts at WM online. Out of stock across the board.
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #23

I do not think anyone mentioned AGM batteries. A great battery if want to move the batteries off of the tongue of the trailer and inside a conditioned space, reduce charging damage during extreme temperatures, and increase Amp hours, have limited space and laying them on their side is required, they are also a solution to look into.

Cutting edge is Lithium Ion, but only for the solar nuts and heavy boondocking.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I do not think anyone mentioned AGM batteries. A great battery if want to move the batteries off of the tongue of the trailer and inside a conditioned space, reduce charging damage during extreme temperatures, and increase Amp hours, have limited space and laying them on their side is required, they are also a solution to look into.

Cutting edge is Lithium Ion, but only for the solar nuts and heavy boondocking.
I completely agree. But the AGMs are pretty expensive for true deep cycles. On the site that I linked before, they run about 2x that of a regular flooded cell deep cycle battery.

I put an AGM in DW's car because we don't drive it that much, and it has worked out GREAT. Even that battery was about $170, which is a little rich for my blood, but worth it IMO for us for that application.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I completely agree. But the AGMs are pretty expensive for true deep cycles. On the site that I linked before, they run about 2x that of a regular flooded cell deep cycle battery.

I put an AGM in DW's car because we don't drive it that much, and it has worked out GREAT. Even that battery was about $170, which is a little rich for my blood, but worth it IMO for us for that application.
I run an AGM in my daily driver but that is because the battery is in the trunk (no dangerous hydrogen gasses that need to be vented, no spilling or corrosion, no maintenance). I am on year seven. Being in a climate controlled environment really makes a huge difference in battery life which can more than offset its higher initial cost.

Like others have said, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your needs are. Tongue weights can be a real concern. Moving the standard location for batteries is just a smart thing to do if you are already on the limit with your TV or tongue weight like I am.

People really need to read the fine print on hitch limits. I was amazed at what I found on my RAM, even though it seems like overkill to some.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 12-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #26

Don't think anyone answered the 6v vs 12 v ??. Not sure I'm qualified but from my understanding the 6V cart batteries have larger plates and the extra lead is evident in the weight and this translates into more storage potential. The cart battery is designed for regular heavy use on a golf cart and are recharged daily and last a very long time. 12v deep cycles are good if you get one with high ah rating but they are not designed to get the abuse of a cart battery.

True if you a 6v goes bad you will lose house power in your RV. Keep in mind that if one of your 12v's goes bad it will quickly draw down the charge in the good one. In any regard, you have the TV to supply emergency power to retract slides etc.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I do not think anyone mentioned AGM batteries
Just curious, what's the weight difference between an AGM and a flooded cell deep cycle?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Just curious, what's the weight difference between an AGM and a flooded cell deep cycle?
Kinda hard to answer that one. It really depends on their rated capacity in Amp Hours.

This link should give you an idea though.

PDC Deep Cycle Series Battery Specifications Data
360 degree Virtual Tour