Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #1

Whirlpool Residential Side by Side Refrigerator not cooling.

Our side by side refrigerator will not cool down. Seemed cold after pulling to rv park (30 minute drive) but when we came back the next day will not cool down. We are plugged into the park power.
MaggieJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #2

Its plugged into inverter which is probably located in basement storage. See if it is running or needs resetting. You can also unplug at inverter and plug into extension cord temporally if inverter is gone bad.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

So just a little more info. The inverter bypasses ac when plugged in at rv park. The lights come on and the fans are running, it is only a 2018, just past the warranty I guess
MaggieJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieJay View Post
So just a little more info. The inverter bypasses ac when plugged in at rv park. The lights come on and the fans are running, it is only a 2018, just past the warranty I guess
Unplug the fridge or turn off the breaker. There have been several posts that it may need a reset since it has an electronic control board..
Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieJay View Post
Our side by side refrigerator will not cool down. Seemed cold after pulling to rv park (30 minute drive) but when we came back the next day will not cool down. We are plugged into the park power.

We had the same problem and we started carrying a cooler as we got tired of loosing food. So this is what we found out and what was happening is the cooling coils were frozen over. They are behind a planet in the refrigerator side.
We were only a year into warranty 2018 Jayco Eagle. There is a air deVegter valve that takes colder air from freezer side that is on the top left of refrigerator side. You can remove two screws and take it out and see if it moves ok. They replaced mine but it did not fix the problem but is reported to be the fix but wasn’t in our case.
Tech said the freezer door gasket was letting moisture in and it caused the coils to freeze so it quits cooling. Put a new freezer door on.
So every trip back out we didn’t know if fixed or not and every time out it quit for a half dozen times. Finally we would just turn it off and defrost it with hair dryers or blow a fan on it with doors open for a few hours at minimum and it would work until freezing up again.
He put 3 doors on and every one of them had gaskets looting installed. He was very good and experienced and didn’t put up with poor quality so we would just wait again for a replacement and use a cooler when it quit.
Last repair was last fall and we are out of warranty and didn’t head out for another trip but I did leave it run for a month or longer and no ice build up. Keep in mind you don’t see the ice as it’s Behind the panel. We now know how to remove it to help defrost faster.
Very frustrating and expensive loosing all the meats etc. and having to carry a big bulky cooler is inconvenient.
So our story. First try the air diverter as it is super easy to remove and unplug and inspect. It does take a nut driver not a screw driver. Most small socket sets come with them. 1/8 is from memory. Finally bought a nut driver to carry with us.
Good luck and happy to talk with you
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

JayBees, do these models have a " defrost timer " or is that now on the main control board ? I haven't done appliance repair in years but when I did from your description would have been 1st thing checked
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
JayBees, do these models have a " defrost timer " or is that now on the main control board ? I haven't done appliance repair in years but when I did from your description would have been 1st thing checked
Not sure what WHIRLPOOL is doing now, but I know SAMSUNG has an ice sensor on the coil that tells it when to defrost.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post

Poohbear just got on and saw you had a question. As it turns out it was the freezer door allowing for air to be pulled in causing ice to build and covered the whole back wall under the back inside of the refrigerator section. Fan even started hitting it. He put a fan on just in case and Had 3 doors installed until they fixed it. Tech was very good at a local repair and made sure we were fixed.
My house Samsung did exactly the same freezing up in the refrigerator and I knew what to look for and it took hours to defrost the block of ice all over the coils. Seems to be a common issue and my son had same problem too.
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #9

Who do you contact for warranty work on Whirlpool if the one year warranty has expired?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Who do you contact for warranty work on Whirlpool if the one year warranty has expired?
I think if you read the paperwork there is a 5 yr warranty on the sealed system, but with that said any appliance service man should be able to work on it.

listed parts of the sealed refrigeration system, including the compressor, evaporator, and condenser. That warranty runs for the second through fifth year and covers manufacturing defects
Old 07-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think if you read the paperwork there is a 5 yr warranty on the sealed system, but with that said any appliance service man should be able to work on it. listed parts of the sealed refrigeration system, including the compressor, evaporator, and condenser. That warranty runs for the second through fifth year and covers manufacturing defects
I'm having an intermittent problem with the control panel.........and yes I've tried resetting it. Should I contact Jayco since the control panel is covered for parts only in the second year?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I'm having an intermittent problem with the control panel.........and yes I've tried resetting it. Should I contact Jayco since the control panel is covered for parts only in the second year?
Definitely and at least get an authorization for a Appl Service tech.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #13

We have a 2018 Eagle also however our residential Whirlpool has the panel you spoke of on the freezer side. There are 2, 3/8 screws at the base of the panel, but I cant figure how to remove the panel after removing them.
Freezer side works great, no cooling on refer side. We did defrost and it seems to be working, but dont know how to remove that panel for future issues.
Any advice?
Don
drwnkw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwnkw67 View Post
We have a 2018 Eagle also however our residential Whirlpool has the panel you spoke of on the freezer side. There are 2, 3/8 screws at the base of the panel, but I cant figure how to remove the panel after removing them.
Freezer side works great, no cooling on refer side. We did defrost and it seems to be working, but dont know how to remove that panel for future issues.
Any advice?
Don
I have a 2019 Eagle, I removed my panel today. There are 2 slots under the panel just put a screwdriver in and pull forward. It will pop off and then pull down.
Wewokaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #15

While prepping our 2022 382flrb for it's maiden trip the side by side fridge will not cool off. 3 calls to Whirlpool and on hold over minutes was a waste of time. No one there cares if it runs or not. Called Jayco and not much better. Not their problem. Seems like they installed it so it should be there problem. Looks like we will be canceling our trip to Berlin, Ohio next week. Poor customer service from both of the companies. Will be looking to take action sometime next week if they do not resolve my problem.
NEWS4US is offline   Reply With Quote