Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #21

I use my ODK TV as follows. AM news, weather channel or ESPN to get caught up while cooking the family breakfast.
At night it's been mostly sports while sitting around the fire with friends and family.

If you want a TV get it. If that is how you relax which is what it's all about then do what makes you happy. While I do limit the tech stuff (leave the tablets home) when camping, TV with everyone sitting around sharing a sporting event, movie or favorite show is quality time as well IMHO.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #22

To each their own. For sure.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #23
Lost in the Woods

I put on the Fireplace DVD during the fire bans
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #24

I thought about doing something like this too. But then I thought about it some more and decided it probably wouldn't get much use. Yeah, it'd be nice to catch a game now and again, but that's about it. One trip I was out and wanted to catch a game, so I just turned my TV inside so I could see it through the door. I was cooking and entertaining for some family at the time, so a few of us that were interested in the game just kind of glanced every now and then to catch an update.

I'm thinking now that I'd rather start a camp fire and relax. Or sling my hammock and take a nap or read a book or go for a walk or just sit in my camp chair with a cold drink and take it all in. With all that to do, it's not worth the trouble IMO to tote along another TV to set up outside. OTOH, when we're at a site with cable, DW goes crazy. We don't have cable at home (cut the cord years ago, threw up an OTA antenna, and never going back), so that's part of her "leisure time". I'll usually watch with her just so we can be together for a while, but then my son (15 months) and I will go outside and make ourselves busy with something...

I agree, to each their own though; I'll never judge. I saw a guy watching a game outside his MH by himself one evening enjoying a cigar. I was happy he was enjoying himself, and glad he wasn't smoking that thing inside his MH. I'll enjoy a cigar now and then too, but I would NEVER smoke inside my camper.

Add: I LOVE the idea of the fireplace DVD!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #25

I'm re-thinking my original response. Maybe there is a place for the outside tv. Two years ago I stayed at a State Park near Niagara Falls over 4th of July. Two families behind me hung a sheet over one TT while they projected Wii bowling on the sheet. It really didn't bother me cuz there were thousands of kids and families around so noise was the norm. On the other hand, I've been at some really remote and quiet parks where an outside tv would be about as welcome as a contractors generator. I guess it depends on the place and if it's appropriate. In camping, it's not always all about "me" (or at least it shouldn't be).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
I have to smile at your question.

5 Years ago sitting in my tent - Look at those people in RV's, why did they even bother, if your going to camp dang it.. CAMP.

3 Years ago sitting in my tent - Look at those people in RV's.. Hmm.. looks kinda nice.

2 Years ago sitting in my RV. Look at those people with TV's. If their going to camp dang it, then CAMP.

1 Year ago sitting outside my RV watching TV.. Wow.. Look at all those poor people sitting in tents... They don't know what their missing....

In short.. Don't worry.. If you want to watch TV inside, outside or on your roof then do it. Camping is for fun.. So have fun.... YOUR WAY..... Whichever that may be...
A story that could be shared by many of us as we've "matured" I know it's close to our situation. Now I look at it as camping with a really tricked out tent! The stuck in the damp tent while its raining days started loosing appeal in our mid fifty's, so now we go camping with the knowledge that a dry comfy space where we can put in a favorite movie to pass some time aint nothin to be ashamed of. As far as outside T.V., like many said, it can be a great ice breaker for folks to gather around for a game, or a family movie, but with our current camper it's not a decision we have to make anyway.
I do LOVE music though and enjoy picking out good tunes to listen to quietly now and again by a good campfire or a sunrise cup of coffee.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
TV's defeat the whole purpose of camping...
Really now.

I'd think that spending 2 weeks in a trailer park atmosphere with people all around me (when at my home I'm isolated from people since I live in the sticks) would have already defeated the purpose of camping.

Maybe I don't know what the purpose of camping is.

I know why I'm leaving here for 2 weeks and going to Florida, and that's to be warm and play some golf.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #28

My first trailer (an entry-level model) didn't come with a TV or TV antennae, so I would take my 2nd home TV (an 18" analogue with rabbit ears) when I went camping. When that TV died, I upgraded to a 21" digital TV w/built-in DVD player, and a flat-panel antennae. When I upgraded to my Eagle 2 years ago, that TV became my bedroom TV, mounted on a swivel wall mount, that I had also purchased for my old TT. The TV removes from the wall mount with a simple thumb screw, so it's easy to take off the mount and carry outside.

Last Memorial Day, I took it outside, turned on the inside TV with the audio piped through the outside speakers, and watched the Indie 500 outside with surround-sound stereo. IT WAS AWSOME! Over July 4th weekend, there was a couple camping next to me in a tent with a couple of youngsters. They were bored one evening, so I took the TV outside under the awning, popped in a DVD, and the whole family enjoyed watching "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" with me - complete with beverages and pop corn. It was almost like an old drive-in movie.

I say "If you enjoy it (and it's legal), DO IT!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Agreed! Also, I figure no one next to me wants to see (or hear) my tv either.
I have to tell you, watching my sports is the #1 reason for me to have TV. Aside from keeping restless kids busy in crappy weather.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #30

All this talk about TVs and being outside reminds me of why I have a motorhome to begin with.

BECAUSE. I. CAN.

Enjoy what you have as you will. So long as you're not bothering anybody else around you, have at it !!! Life is short, enjoy it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #31

Last fall with kids from 2 different camp sites... The family next to us fed very well while their kids and our kids watched TV.... Everyone had a blast
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0414.jpg  

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #32

Funny... I have had a TV in my last two RV's and never turned then on while parked. The kids do use the TV in the motorhome while we travel.

But then things went horribly wrong... My beloved Blue Jays were playing October Baseball and I had booked a camping trip to Tennessee... You can bet it did not take me long to figure out how to get the signal into my RV and then relax with some good'ole Moonshine.

My TV is inside so the neighbours did not get to enjoy the game with me... But some folks 4 sites over did stop my wife at one point to ask if everything was ok... I may have been cheering a little loudly

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Last fall with kids from 2 different camp sites... The family next to us fed very well while their kids and our kids watched TV.... Everyone had a blast
A couple of years ago our church had a group family camping event where we took a video projector and an inflatable screen along in order to show movies. That was a huge hit.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
My TV is inside so the neighbours did not get to enjoy the game with me... But some folks 4 sites over did stop my wife at one point to ask if everything was ok... I may have been cheering a little loudly
During a fall camping trip (campground nearly empty), our neighbors across the way had a pretty big TV standing in their 5th wheel's basement storage compartment. It drew a fair-size crowd for the Sunday NFL games, and the baseball playoff games that were on.

Our new Jay Feather TT has a built-in TV and entertainment center. Guess we'll watch more TV now.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #35

I used to think there is no way I would ever watch TV while camping. That didn't last. Now I think there is no way I would ever watch TV outside while camping. But there is a part of me that can see into the future...and he sees that I will be watching TV outside...I haven't done it yet...but it is in my future.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #36

We just started. I upgraded the main room tv and now use the old tv outside on a mount that came with the RV. Love it.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #37

Quote:

5 Years ago sitting in my tent - Look at those people in RV's, why did they even bother, if your going to camp dang it.. CAMP.

3 Years ago sitting in my tent - Look at those people in RV's.. Hmm.. looks kinda nice.

2 Years ago sitting in my RV. Look at those people with TV's. If their going to camp dang it, then CAMP.

1 Year ago sitting outside my RV watching TV.. Wow.. Look at all those poor people sitting in tents... They don't know what their missing....

In short.. Don't worry.. If you want to watch TV inside, outside or on your roof then do it. Camping is for fun.. So have fun.... YOUR WAY..... Whichever that may be...
My wife and I have participated in a couple of bike rallies with our tent and had fun minimalizing it for about 4 days. I couldn't imaging trying the tents with our whole family.

Our family is in the infantile stage of RV'ing. With 5 kids under the age of 13, we decided to "go big or stay home" with the camper we ordered. We wanted something that, if we were 200 miles from home and it rained for an extended period of time "out of no where", we could keep our sanity for a couple of days. Hence the 375BHFS decision. We also plan to use it while doing renovations in our home.

Great post- The older I get the less I like roughing it.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #38

Well said, totally agree. Over the past 46 years my path in the camping world has followed a similar trail. Keep having fun.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #39

Quote:

Ours comes out at night for down time for our kids with a DVD. As soon as the landing gear hits the parking spot and kids help set up they are gone. Riding bikes, fishing, playground, RUNNING all around with other kids.
My kids go until they are so exhausted they get sick, so I am ok with kids sitting in front of a movie at night outside in lawn chairs with a bag of popcorn, this is done after marshmallows, glove sticks, bug chasing and playing in the dark.

The TV is also nice during the fall football games as well.

We do not have cable or satellite at home and this year I am looking at one of those tailgater pay as you go deals...

We did the same thing "looking out of the tent" frowning at people with their TV's etc. Now I can see its uses as we mostly camp local. If we ever get the chance to go to the mountains or somewhere very remote I do not see the TV coming out much.
Pegsmi98 is offline   Reply With Quote