Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

WiFi Booster

Most campgrounds/RV parks now have WiFi, but are usually not very good. Is there some kind of booster a person can use in the RV to help this?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

The problem with most parks isn't necessarily a weak signal but not enough bandwidth. If you do get a strong enough signal, the connection ends up being so slow as to being unusable. I resolved it by using my own Verizon router. I've been to very few places that don't have a good Verizon signal. Yeah, it's extra bucks but at least it works and for me an internet connection is MUCH more important than television.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Team

You can search Wi-Fi extenders here and find a few different types.

I use the EnGenius brand. I just replaced my old EOC5611 model with the newer ENS202EXT model. There are a few other members that use the EnGenius units. They cost around $100 shipped.

You will also need to purchase a regular WiFi router like used in the home, a second hand one with security will do fine. Your tablets, laptops, cell phones... will connect to it.

The basic system requirement is that the WiFi extender should have an outside antenna or a combined unit (unit that has the antenna mounted on the unit and is mounted outside). A cat5 cable is run between the WiFi extender and the WiFi router inside your TT.

These units are good for 1.5 miles line of sight. These units enhance only the signal between the CG's AP and your unit.

Here is a link to my Wi-Fi diagram.

If this link did not take, go to my albums and click on the Wi-Fi section.

To give you an idea of what this unit does, currently we are only 200 yards from the AP, with 8 TT's, and huge trees between us and the AP, logging on to the AP directly with the laptop, there is 1 bar for the connection, with signals that keep dropping (outside between TT,s). Using the ENS202EXT, I am inside the TT and we just finished watching a Netflix movie with no loss of connection. The people around me have given up, the good news is that I convinced the owner to move the AP to a closer pole.. now they just have to wait for the work to be done.

Good luck

Don

I need to update the diagram with the new unit I purchased.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

There are a ton of options. Try Technomadia.com. They have a lot of information on this. I myself just use a cell mate passive antenna mounted on a flag pole as an external antenna. I then use a pepwave receiver that connects to my main router. For something simple you might try a pepwave surf on the go. You can mount it in a window but it will be directional so you might have to try several windows to get line of sight.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #5

I installed a WiFi repeater from Jefa Tech and love it. Mounted the antenna to the TV antenna. Here is a link to the repeater. I'll see if I have a picture of the way I mounted it.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

Happy Camping

2013 Jayco 22FB
2014 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins
ghuffman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuffman3 View Post
I installed a WiFi repeater from Jefa Tech and love it. Mounted the antenna to the TV antenna. Here is a link to the repeater. I'll see if I have a picture of the way I mounted it.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

Happy Camping
Nice unit, 650mw, should get the job done nicely...

Be careful with the antenna mounted to the TV antenna, I almost snapped off the inside handle when trying to raise mine, that is why I mounted it to the ladder
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote