Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Window shades bow

On a previous Jayco the window shades bottom horizontal support bowed up in the center. There didn't seem to be a solution to this other than scrap the shades. We just bought a new White Hawk with the same shades. After about 6 months the shades bottom support or bar show a pronounced upward bow. A Jayco rep told me that this was caused by Texas heat acting on the plastic bottom bar and would be more pronounced on the side with prevailing sunlight (heat). Well, in Central Texas the prevailing heat is focused on all four sides.
I am tempted to attach an aluminum angle strip to the bottom of the bar to reinforce the plastic bar and perhaps make it more sturdy.
I know there are a lot of Jayco trailers in Texas and someone must have come up with a way to prevent this distortion of the shades. I would appreciate comments, even if your approach was not successful it might prevent me from making the same mistake. Thanks
leoslaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

You're not alone, happens in Florida too. We have a 27DSRL, the problem seems confined to the wider shades. Our trailer is stored under cover, not in direct sun until late in the day. the shades bowing are never exposed to sunlight unless we're out in the trailer, so who knows why the shades "boomerang"; the ambient temp inside the trailer when in storage is under 90 degrees.

Personally, I believe these shades are worthless (this type used by virtually EVERYBOCDY in the RV industry). When I figure out the logistics, I'm replacing those hideous things with rollup blackout shades or manual MCD shades. No more strings, and a lot less heat transfer through the glass.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
You're not alone, happens in Florida too. We have a 27DSRL, the problem seems confined to the wider shades. Our trailer is stored under cover, not in direct sun until late in the day. the shades bowing are never exposed to sunlight unless we're out in the trailer, so who knows why the shades "boomerang"; the ambient temp inside the trailer when in storage is under 90 degrees.

Personally, I believe these shades are worthless (this type used by virtually EVERYBOCDY in the RV industry). When I figure out the logistics, I'm replacing those hideous things with rollup blackout shades or manual MCD shades. No more strings, and a lot less heat transfer through the glass.
Thomasmnile: By all means post a solution. If my aluminum angle strip does not work I will start looking for venetian blinds but I will try a cheap solution first. leoslaton
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Leo, At least with wider shades, my plan is to simply replace them with rollup "blackout" shades, easily found and cut to size at Home Depot or Lowe's. I haven't closely looked at the mounting yet, but I believe I would just simply remove the lambreqins (not certain I spelled that right), install the shades on them, and then reattach them to the wall. If you wanted a first class improvement, I would consider the MCD shades. Single blackout, or privacy/blackout, motorized or manual pull, they are a great product, but can be pricey, but not bad if you only want the single shade model. Whether I DIY or give MCD a shot, all I know is no more broken strings, no more bowing shades, no more shades that won't stay up when raised as they age (yes, they will do that eventually).
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

Thomas: I'll go by Home Depot and look at the options. I think I will only need the 3 for the front room. I have a 30' DSRE and blackout has a nice ring to it considering some of the RV parks I have been in. Thanks.