Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #1

Winegard HD Antenna

I have a Rayzar.z1 antenna installed from the factory on my RV. There is a dial on the ceiling that says rotate for travel. I can turn and turn this dial and it never seems to get tighter or move the antenna on the roof. If I go on the roof the antenna itself will rotate freely to a stop 360 degrees and then back the other way. Is there an issue here that I can repair? Thank You.
bmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #2

Assuming you push the knob to the ceiling to turn it, you may have the issue mine had. There's a tube between the knob and the antenna that is inside the 'works'. Mine was too short. I talked to Wingard, they told me how long it probably should be and I made one from some, if I recall, 3/4" pvc because it was quicker than waiting for them to send me a 'blank' tube. The tube is cut to length by the installer at the factory. My worker bee cut mine too short.

Sorry, but I don't recall the length they told me, and your dimension may be different from mine anyway.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #3

Getting to the pvc tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Assuming you push the knob to the ceiling to turn it, you may have the issue mine had. There's a tube between the knob and the antenna that is inside the 'works'. Mine was too short. I talked to Wingard, they told me how long it probably should be and I made one from some, if I recall, 3/4" pvc because it was quicker than waiting for them to send me a 'blank' tube. The tube is cut to length by the installer at the factory. My worker bee cut mine too short.

Sorry, but I don't recall the length they told me, and your dimension may be different from mine anyway.
Okay, cool, did you just remove the knob assembly from the ceiling inside the RV to get to the tube?
Old 09-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

yes...it's been awhile....I think you need to be ready for a spring to come down.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #5

Tube with Plastic Pieces Came Out.

I removed the ceiling knob. This tube and two broken pieces came with it. From what I can see, the pieces are from the bottom of the unit mounted on the roof. The alignment of the antenna to the knob is not straight up and down. It is on an angle and that may have broken the tabs on the antenna. I have an email in to Winegard to see what they say. Any suggestions now?
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna.jpg  
Old 09-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

First suggestion is to pick up the phone and talk to a live person at Wingard. Things happen in minutes, not days if you do that. They will most likely send out the part two day, but let them in on the situation by phone.

If you're handy, you could Macgyver a part from some PVC pipe if you have any around that diameter. But that only makes sense to me if you need to watch TV within the next 24 hours.

Or, you could try to put your tube back together with some 5 minute epoxy. It might work. It might not.

Until you get the antenna rotating with a solid replacement part, you won't know if a: the tube will stay together and b: if it doesn't you then have a Jayco problem, not a Wingard problem.

Good Luck