Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

X17z front wall thickness

I am in the process of doing the front storage mod on our X17Z. I am wanting to put a shelf in that area and am wondering if anyone knows how thick the "curved" wall is? Actually this should be the same on any of the HTT. It doesn't need to support much weight, I just don't want to send a screw through the diamond plate I know most of the walls are 1 1/2", just not sure if this area is the same.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

Thin.

Concerning the 17Z, I often wonder why so many are making mods for extra storage, particularly when one is aware of the limited load carrying capacity of this popular model. (Just my thoughts and not meaning to start anything)

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Thin.

Concerning the 17Z, I often wonder why so many are making mods for extra storage, particularly when one is aware of the limited load carrying capacity of this popular model. (Just my thoughts and not meaning to start anything)
My thoughts exactly.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Oh, I do understand where you are coming from, you do seriously have to watch the weight on these trailers. The problem is some of the storage areas aren't the best for larger, bulky yet not heavy items. That probably made no sense Basically, we have a "ladder golf" game my oldest son made as part of one of his Boy Scout Merit Badges. It it made out of PVC and weighs maybe 15lbs. Some of the pieces are fairly long, in our popup these actually fit under one of the dinette bases. The problem is both dinette bases are cut in half in the Z, they aren't long enough. I might be able to get them under the sofa, but then all that stuff has to go somewhere else. I could this stuff in the front from the outside storage door, but it isn't the best access. Hope that makes sense, I am not really adding much weight, just trying to gain better access to the area. The shelf would be made out of 1/8" thick plywood w/ 3/4" x 3/4" sticks to give it some strength, so very lightweight, it doesn't have to be that strong.
I would guess that wall is at least 1" thick, the original propane regulator was attached to it with screws longer than that and I don't see them coming through the inside.
ITBC
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Thin. Concerning the 17Z, I often wonder why so many are making mods for extra storage, particularly when one is aware of the limited load carrying capacity of this popular model. (Just my thoughts and not meaning to start anything)
I think mods are created from necessity. And for that reason they are useful. But, yes, you do have the weight consideration.

What I have learned recently with all the weight posts on JOF, is that being a 17Z owner, my best cargo space is the TV. (Although not always the most handy.) Edit: The good news is once you get where you're going the "stuff" can be put anywhere.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
I think mods are created from necessity. And for that reason they are useful.
Absolutely agree, what I am putting in this area was in the Z when it was weighed, what I am after, is organization. Storage space isn't necessarily about finding a place to "put more stuff" sometimes it's about finding a good spot for what you have. I removed a panel in the cabinet below the stove for the same reason. We put our dutch oven and a fan in there, which was fine, except the fan had to sit on top of the dutch oven. By simply removing the panel, the fan now leans against the wall and the dutch oven can be removed without moving the fan.

I actually don't think I will add the shelf, everything fits in a duffel bag, which fits nicely in that space as is.
ITBC
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Thin.

The reason that people make the mods are for convenience. For me it was having a place in my camper to store the seat back cushions from the dinette. The seats are not comfortable (for me), not deep enough. By removing the back cushions the seats are fine. I did not want to leave the cushions as home, as they are needed to make the table into a bed. So I preformed the front storage mod and now I can keep the cushions in the front trunk.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote