Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Yuwei 5" Rear Observation Camera

My 28RLS came pre-wired for a Furrion rear observation camera. In researching the camera I also looked at quite a few others with similar features but at half the price. After much hesitation I purchased a Yuwei rear observation camera system (5" monitor) for just about have the price of the Furrion unit.

I removed the Furrion mounting bracket and cut off the socket on the wiring meant to power the Furrion camera. New holes had to be drilled for the smaller Yuwei camera mounting bracket (watch out for the wiring that is in that area of the trailer) and then the insulation on the positive and negative leads from the trailer and the camera were spliced together. The wiring (most of it) was pushed back through the hole the dealer had made and the rubber bung supplied with the camera was inserted in that hole. Unfortunately the hole was slightly larger than the bung so I had to seal it and the holes drilled for the bracket with sealant.

The 5" monitor is intended to be attached via suction to the windshield. I put it there and it's stayed securely attached for a week now but I'm not sure if that will be its permanent home. While they sell a system with a 7" monitor I feel 5" is more than adequate for viewing at this distance (driver to windshield or on top of the dashboard).

The monitor is powered by a 12 volt socket adapter. There is a syncing process you might have to go through (the monitor supports up to four cameras) but in my case once power to the monitor was established (trailer was plugged into the truck so camera had power) I immediate got the signal from the camera the image of the rear view on the monitor. The picture is clear, bright and the colors true to life.

On the road at speeds up to 60 mph (that was my top speed for most of the trip) the camera worked almost flawlessly. I say almost because in two hours of driving the signal was lost twice for about 1 second each time and then immediately recovered. The video was clear, sharp and provides a wide angle view (advertised as 120 degrees which appears to be accurate). Having this view is a help in knowing what is immediately behind you that you can't see in your side view mirrors and is a very solid confirmation that you are clear to make lane changes (trailer is in fact passed any cars you are passing).

As far as backing into campsites, I am so use to using the mirrors for that that I'm not sure if I even want to make the adjustment to using the camera and monitor for it but I have to imagine it would be a help to those new to backing up a trailer in getting the trailer backed straight in while avoiding obstacles.

At this point I don't know the situation as far as long term reliability. Only time will tell. But for someone sitting on the fence about getting this type of camera (held back by the price tag of the Furrion system) this is a less expensive option to consider that easy an easy installation if you're already prewired for the Furrion system.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote