Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

03 Ram shortbed Andersern Ultimate Rail Hitch

I have been digging around trying to find information on the Andersen Ultimate Hitch using rails instead of the gooseneck ball.

Here are my questions:
1. Does the offset put the rear of the hitch closer to the tailgate?
2. In turns does the rear of the hitch come close to the rails? Come close with the truck high and trailer low?
3. How much can you turn before coming close to the cab?

Anything else you guys can share would be great also.

Thanks

New camper: Eagle Touring 31.5 BHTS
Old camper: Jayflight 30.5 BHS
riddle family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

I use this hitch with the gooseneck ball, but here ya go:

The offset puts the rear of the king pin box very close to by short bed tail gate. I would say it is about 2'' from touching the tailgate. The rear of the pin box is a higher elevation that the tail gate, but with an uneven driveway type incline, the pin box gets pretty close. It's never touched, but I could see potential for contact just depending on the hitch/trailer pin box set up.

Regarding turning and bed rails, same answer as above. I've never touched the back of the pin box on the bed rails. Depending on the angles, hitch set up, pin box dimensions, I could see potential for an issue with the bed rails. My hitch set up has the aluminum ball on the highest setting.

I have not got uncomfortably close on the front cap and the truck cab. I have a lot of clearance. I have to jackknife the trailer to get into my driveway and have been more concerned about peeling a tire off the rim than touching the cap to the cab.

I have considered flipping the king pin coupler block to move the trailer forward on the hitch since there is so much room to try and free up the space behind the king pin box relative to the tailgate. In the end, I think the set up has reasonably good clearance so I have not made that change. I'm not sure if there is an incline that would actually create contact between the back of the pin box and tailgate/bed rails.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

Some good information but with the rail version the hitch is mounted with the ball forward and the block is positioned so the ball point is on the front side. Trying to see if that is different from the gooseneck style.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

New camper: Eagle Touring 31.5 BHTS
Old camper: Jayflight 30.5 BHS
riddle family is offline   Reply With Quote