Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
Site Team

I have a 08:30 appt on Tuesday morning. Maybe they will give me a discount If I tell them where the trouble is and the part #?

I don't really care, just fix it. Nothing worse than turning your vehicle off and not knowing it it's going to start back up when YOU are ready to leave.

I did that enough when I was a teenager.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a 08:30 appt on Tuesday morning. Maybe they will give me a discount IfI tell them where the trouble is and the part #?

I don't really care, just fix it. Nothing worse than turning your vehicle off and not knowing it it's going to start back up when YOU are ready to leave.

I did that enough when I was a teenager.

That was one of my reasons for upgrading from the 6.0.
I loved the truck, the sound, turbo whistle etc but there was always that fear in the back of my mind that something would go out or fail at the wrong time.

Hopefully they get you fixed up quickly (and for not to much $$$)

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #23
Site Team

Good luck at your appointment, Norty. Let's hope it's something simple for them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #24

Hot start

Had this issue before. When stopping the starter solenoid gets hot which increases the resistance of the coil windings. There.may be a tech note on it so check with Ford. I'd bet that is the problem, not the starter. It also helps to install larger gauge battery cables including the ground binding braid from the engine block to the frame.
jangeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangeley View Post
Had this issue before. When stopping the starter solenoid gets hot which increases the resistance of the coil windings. There.may be a tech note on it so check with Ford. I'd bet that is the problem, not the starter. It also helps to install larger gauge battery cables including the ground binding braid from the engine block to the frame.
Now that's a new one I havn't heard. I'll give them a multiple choice list. Tks
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
ADK

Norty1

I just went through this last week. For me it was the starter.

I do have the shop manuals and can scan the section if you want to troubleshoot it yourself.

-Scott

2022 F350 7.3 CCLB SRW
2014 264BH
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #27

I got the info for my GMC from a GM Trch Brief. They also recommended a special shroud that covered the solenoid and a special high temp solenoid since on the 454 engine the solenoid set right under the exhaust header so it got really hot. After I did the cables, shroud and new high temp solenoid I never had the issue again, 5 years.
jangeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangeley View Post
I got the info for my GMC from a GM Trch Brief. They also recommended a special shroud that covered the solenoid and a special high temp solenoid since on the 454 engine the solenoid set right under the exhaust header so it got really hot. After I did the cables, shroud and new high temp solenoid I never had the issue again, 5 years.
Mine is a diesel. I just looked around under mine some more and see no Neutral Safety switch on the transmission shift linkage.

I will dig out my reciept for the new Ford starter/solonoid that I had installed 2 years ago and take it with me to the garage on Tuesday. this problem just started in June of this year.

Really appreciate all the response. I have posted on several Ford truck forums and all I got were a bunch of wild theories.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #29

Good luck to you Norty. Funny part is you’ve gotten wild theories here too [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Old 08-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #30
Site Team

I think it's the kanifflin pin!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #31
Site Team

Well they kept my truck for 2 days and they can not find anything that is defective or will cause the no crank/start problem. There is no Neutral Safety Switch on the outside of the transmission.

*All linkage is tight and working properly.

* The ignition switch is working fine and not suseptable to heavy key chains.

* The Ford starter on there now is working properly and they drove and idled the engine for many hours and could not duplicate the problem.

They are a honest shop that I have used for years, so I trust them that it would be a waste of time/ money to consider tearing into the ignition switch. Someone on a Ford forum suggested sending the dash board assembly off to have it tested? They giggled on that one.

He said They could put a new NAPA starter with a lifetime warranty in it for $354. and keep the core if I wanted to spend the least amout for parts.

I'll drive it a week or so cause we aren't going out of town for a month or so before deciding on the starter. I'm leaning towards doing that as a first step.

I hate these kind of troubles!!!

BTW, they did not charge me any labor for giving it a shot.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #32
Site Team

Ain't that the way it always is?? Something will malfunction, until you get it into the shop.

I'm glad they did it gratis, that's awesome! In a way, I'm sorry they didn't find the cause, and at the same time am glad it didn't end up costing a buttload of money.

Thanks for updating us. I know there's quite a few gearheads that were concerned.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #33

Sounds like you have a good shop. Stinks that they couldn’t replicate the issue. At least you’re not out a bunch of money but I know you’ll always be worried if it’s going to happen again.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #34

I knew a guy that had a Ford diesel but I don't remember which engine. Had the same symptoms. Turn the key and nothing happens. He replaced starter and I think some other parts before they finally discovered the air compressor I think was in such a bind going bad that it was even keeping the motor from turning over. Replaced the compressor and all was well.

You would never think to look at an air compressor for a no-start issue.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #35

PS: I think his issue was consistent so it was much easier to diagnose. He took the belt off the compressor and the engine turned over and started. So it was easy to find once he was told about this issue
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #36
Site Team

Thanks for the suggestion. Here is where I am now: Last time I towed the rig It would not start when stopping. This was before I left it in the shop overnight and they could not duplicate the problem. Last week, I had to tow the rig 80 miles inland to flee the last storm Dorian. As expected, when I arrived and turned it off to disconnect, it would not start. We checked under the hood and I noticed my coolant was a little low. We went to lunch, bought a gallon of coolant and returned in a little over an hour. Started and ran normally. I added some coolant before we left and drove home empty. Truck started up after I returned home normally.

So today , it is in the shop having the starter replaced and the coolant system pressure tested.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Here is where I am now: Last time I towed the rig It would not start when stopping. This was before I left it in the shop overnight and they could not duplicate the problem. Last week, I had to tow the rig 80 miles inland to flee the last storm Dorian. As expected, when I arrived and turned it off to disconnect, it would not start. We checked under the hood and I noticed my coolant was a little low. We went to lunch, bought a gallon of coolant and returned in a little over an hour. Started and ran normally. I added some coolant before we left and drove home empty. Truck started up after I returned home normally.

So today , it is in the shop having the starter replaced and the coolant system pressure tested.
Norty, you may have already read this, but if not I thought it might help. Interesting reading, anyway.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...condition.html

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Norty, you may have already read this, but if not I thought it might help. Interesting reading, anyway. snip..........
Thanks, yes I have been over there. I got some really strange replies. I am pretty sure that it is fixed and I will know for sure in a few days when I go to retrieve my rig from my buddies inland, where it rode out the hurricane.

The shop found a pin hole in the coolant recovery tank that was causing the engine to lose coolant and pressure when I was pulling under load. The starter was sensitive to the increased temps and only failed when I was towing. It would start every time when not towing.
The starter was replaced 2 years ago and it was a Remy brand from a supplier when I was broke down on the road 2 years ago. It lasted only 2 years.

I got a new starter and a new coolant recovery tank. We will see how it does on the next tow.
Gator roll-up bed cover