Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salem
Posts: 324
Agree on the assumptions. Each has to look at how they drive and what's the most important.
__________________

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
MrKong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 337
I'm more curious if you put a poll, how many people here could match the 150# passenger weight in this test.
__________________

__________________
MrKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
I'm more curious if you put a poll, how many people here could match the 150# passenger weight in this test.

Right?! I'm way over that! LOL!
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Paintinfool3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,272
I looked at the towing I did versus every day driving and highway driving and in the end it really didn't matter I went with f350 diesel . Why push the limit trying to save a buck on fuel. I spend about the same weekly on fuel as I did with my 2005 Yukon 2500 with the 5.3 but when I am pulling 9500 lbs no comparison in fuel mileage
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
nwminnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Blaine
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I looked at the towing I did versus every day driving and highway driving and in the end it really didn't matter I went with f350 diesel . Why push the limit trying to save a buck on fuel. I spend about the same weekly on fuel as I did with my 2005 Yukon 2500 with the 5.3 but when I am pulling 9500 lbs no comparison in fuel mileage
Glad someone brought the diesel up into the mix. I use mine as a dd I have been getting 19.5-19.7 mpg also the truck is not broke in yet and that's the number with winter fuel. With my 5.4l ford I was getting 15mpg driving to work. Towing I was getting 9mpg. Do the math with those numbers. Winter time I figured fuel being a 1.00 more and in the summer .50 more then gas. Run the numbers you'd be surprised. Then throw in resale value. Haven't towed with yet. I don't think you can compare an apple to an orange I.e. 3/4 to 1/2 ton. Brakes,rotors, transmission, payload yes there getting closer. Also you guys are right about cost. I priced up an ecoboost max tow end year model 2014. It was only 1500 dollars less the my used 2014 duramax. Granted the eco was brand new and the duramax was used. Similar trim levels on the trucks. Just some food for thoughts. However those ecoboost trucks are very impressive according to their specs.
__________________
2014 6.6L Duramax 2500hd CrewCab
2018 5th wheel on its way
2011 x23b (sold)
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
Member
 
Mach1tosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Comox
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
I'm more curious if you put a poll, how many people here could match the 150# passenger weight in this test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Right?! I'm way over that! LOL!
+1
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Paintinfool3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,272
Yeah i noticed they do the same thing with boat passenger weights... mine says like 12 passengers or 1150 pounds ... really
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
I'm more curious if you put a poll, how many people here could match the 150# passenger weight in this test.
If I combine driver/passenger I can easily match the 150#

I work from the home office when I'm in town so the F350 gets very little round town exercise. That said, the '03 Expedition 5.4 pulling the little X23B (4400#) got 9 mpg while the 350 (6.7) pulling our 5th (12700#) gets 13.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Shelahschenkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Springfield
Posts: 4
overdrive on or off while towing?

Hi all,
I am new to towing 7000 lbs with my 1/2 ton expedition. Do I turn off my overdrive on the transmission while towing or only on steep climbs? i tow her effortlessly like sjes not even there until I climb. I keep it in Drive, but I go slower as I climb, RPM's falling. Do I down shift before the climb manually to keep up the speed? Or just let her slow down? Also I get better gas mileage if overdrive is on on straight of way. Have heard mixed opions. ANyone willing to share their knowledge with a lady who is having trouble?
Warmly,
Shelah
Shelahschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sulphur Springs
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelahschenkel View Post
Hi all,
I am new to towing 7000 lbs with my 1/2 ton expedition. Do I turn off my overdrive on the transmission while towing or only on steep climbs? i tow her effortlessly like sjes not even there until I climb. I keep it in Drive, but I go slower as I climb, RPM's falling. Do I down shift before the climb manually to keep up the speed? Or just let her slow down? Also I get better gas mileage if overdrive is on on straight of way. Have heard mixed opions. ANyone willing to share their knowledge with a lady who is having trouble?
Warmly,
Shelah

On any half ton vehicle, I would lock out the overdrive while towing. The constant changing of gears is what builds up the heat and damages the transmission.
__________________

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.