Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #41

Trucks

Rear is sitting low because truck box is full of cans of gas and water plus trailer is loaded with gear and water, when we do plan on going through mountains it will be dry and no weight in box, should I look at rear air bags maybe?
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I must disagree with many of the others pushing you towards a 2500. If you tow occasionally (<10% time driving) and your trailer weights are low enough for a 1500, you should go with a properly equipped 1500 (tow package, integrated brake controller, 1700lb+ payload, LT tires). From Jayco's specifications for your trailer, you should be able to find a suitable 1500.

While a 2500 or 3500 will always tow better, what no one seems to be taking into account is the 90% of the time you will not be towing. The 1500 will be easier to drive, park, have better fuel economy, and will be safer. Look up the IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings for HD trucks from each of the big three and compare it to those of their 1500's. Most people are fooled by the size of the HD trucks, thinking that they are safer, but that is very much not true.

Roughly 5% of my driving time is spent towing a substantially heavier trailer, a 28BHBE, with a 2015 GMC Sierra that is properly equipped. I have been to the scales, I am within my payload and axle ratings, but would definitely prefer to tow with a 3500 (don't see the point of 2500s). However, this is outweighed by the 95% of the time that I am driving without the trailer. My truck is at least 2" lower the HD trucks (less prone to rollover), at least 1000# lighter, significantly decreased stopping distance, independent front suspension for better steering, etc.

If you will be towing regularly than an HD truck might make sense, but in that case go for a 3500 so you have plenty of room to grow and full floating axles front and rear. This is especially the case for trucks with diesel engines, 2500s with diesels do not have very impressive payloads.

Just my opinion, but I think the safety argument has merit.
This is spot on and couldn't agree more. Not to mention the ride comfort vs f150/1500 when not towing 90 + % of the time
Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #43

Regarding 2500 vs 3500, I have ridden in a variety of both and only feel the difference between a gas truck versus diesel. Maybe if I drove one more frequently I would feel a difference, but take the Ram 2500 as an example: for a crew cab 4x4 short box the payload with the 6.4 gas engine is 3200#, but with the diesel it drops to 2200#. For the 3500s, the payload is about 4000# regardless of engine choice.

Since you have a GM 2500 with a gas engine, your payload is plenty good, but don't most HD truck buyers seem to buy diesels? If so their payload would be around 500# less than yours, which is not so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
Manitoban
What are you a pulling?

Motorbreath I totally agree with part of what your saying, if you don't need a 2500/3500 don't get one but in my opinion if you are close to weights and stress about it then by all means it's a huge improvement. I drive big trucks for a living so as a daily driver I love it, I'm more comfortable in a big vehicle but parking can be a little tricky at times. We take my wife's car to a lot of our kids events and such. Not sure why you're against the 2500 tho. With 2700# payload I sure don't see an reason to increase.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #44

That is a sweet trailer, I brought my 28BHBE in for a warranty repair and a salesman walked me through one of these. The rear bunk area is the best bunk design I have ever seen and it has A/C vents directly above the bunks. That is my only complaint with the 28BHBE, the bunks get very hot in the summer since there is no air-flow to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoban View Post

Rear is sitting low because truck box is full of cans of gas and water plus trailer is loaded with gear and water, when we do plan on going through mountains it will be dry and no weight in box, should I look at rear air bags maybe?
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #45

Thx motorbreath wife and I love this unit and your correct about the air vent and bunks reason why we bought it as we entertain lots have guests so large bunks are great, spent two nights sleeping in the back when the heat came on we were on top bunk it was hot! Had to put clothes over top vent or open the sliding door, we spent 3 weeks in our new trailer we loved it
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote