Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #31

Man I know you're glad that you bought that 2500 with that kind of experience and when I got to the campground you wasn't wore out from the tense driving, I wouldn't want to wish that on nobody.

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Man I know you're glad that you bought that 2500 with that kind of experience and when I got to the campground you wasn't wore out from the tense driving, I wouldn't want to wish that on nobody.
I'm telling difference is night and day.The only added stress on my last trip was due to the extra length of the truck backing into the tight spots of the camp ground I go to.The normal spots I get were full,The only 2 left open were horrible to get a trailer in.The extra foot or so of truck didn't help my cause.

What surprised me on the way home coming down the grade.The truck never down shifted.I had cruise control set at 55 mph.It maintained it flawlessly and never went more then slightly above 2K Rpm's.Not a diesel so no exhaust brake,I'm guessing it worked the brakes on its own to maintain the speed.

WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #33

Yes, I agree i just pick up a 2016 2500 6.4L ram and wanted to be sure that I will enough truck for what I'm looking on getting.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #34

If one already has a 1500 then it makes sense to use it. On the other hand if you have no truck yet then look for the 2500.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenZ71 View Post
I'm telling difference is night and day.The only added stress on my last trip was due to the extra length of the truck backing into the tight spots of the camp ground I go to.The normal spots I get were full,The only 2 left open were horrible to get a trailer in.The extra foot or so of truck didn't help my cause.

What surprised me on the way home coming down the grade.The truck never down shifted.I had cruise control set at 55 mph.It maintained it flawlessly and never went more then slightly above 2K Rpm's.Not a diesel so no exhaust brake,I'm guessing it worked the brakes on its own to maintain the speed.
Just curious what length and weight of trailer were you pulling with your 1/2 ton, I'm pulling a HT Model lighter trailer with my 1/2 Ton it's a great truck great shape well looked after I don't want to spend big bucks upgrading right now, since I only pull my trailer short distances right now 3 to 8 hour drives, no reason to buy another truck right now and hate to get rid of a truck that's been good to me, we will see in a few years like I said my only concern was the mountains and climbing and breaking down the hills. Thx
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #36

Manitoban What are the hills like around Thompson? The only hill that had given my half ton a challenge here in Manitoba was by minnedosa on the way to Riding Mountain. The only reason I upgraded was because I'm planning a trip out west next year and then will be in some real mountains.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #37

I must disagree with many of the others pushing you towards a 2500. If you tow occasionally (<10% time driving) and your trailer weights are low enough for a 1500, you should go with a properly equipped 1500 (tow package, integrated brake controller, 1700lb+ payload, LT tires). From Jayco's specifications for your trailer, you should be able to find a suitable 1500.

While a 2500 or 3500 will always tow better, what no one seems to be taking into account is the 90% of the time you will not be towing. The 1500 will be easier to drive, park, have better fuel economy, and will be safer. Look up the IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings for HD trucks from each of the big three and compare it to those of their 1500's. Most people are fooled by the size of the HD trucks, thinking that they are safer, but that is very much not true.

Roughly 5% of my driving time is spent towing a substantially heavier trailer, a 28BHBE, with a 2015 GMC Sierra that is properly equipped. I have been to the scales, I am within my payload and axle ratings, but would definitely prefer to tow with a 3500 (don't see the point of 2500s). However, this is outweighed by the 95% of the time that I am driving without the trailer. My truck is at least 2" lower the HD trucks (less prone to rollover), at least 1000# lighter, significantly decreased stopping distance, independent front suspension for better steering, etc.

If you will be towing regularly than an HD truck might make sense, but in that case go for a 3500 so you have plenty of room to grow and full floating axles front and rear. This is especially the case for trucks with diesel engines, 2500s with diesels do not have very impressive payloads.

Just my opinion, but I think the safety argument has merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographermama View Post
Hi. We just bought a 2016 264bhw. We are now choosing our tow vehicle and are going back and forth between a 2010 Silverado 1500 crew cab LT 4w. It has towing package and trans cooler, 6 speed trans, and 5.3 V8, with 3.42 axle ratio, and Z71. They are asking $19,700. My husband just keeps worrying about the off road package shocks being a pain and wondering if we should just be patient and wait for a 2500 Silverado to pop up. Any help? Any thoughts? We are excited to go back to camping!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #38

It's not Manitoba I'm worried about that's easy street lol I'm planning to take my 5th wheel to Vancouver Island leave it there for 6 months at an RV resort on the island get away from the Manitoba winters, just wondering how my truck will do up and down the mountains I have a 2010 z71 GFX 4x4 quad cab with towing package and transmission cooler, thx
Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #39

Manitoban
What are you a pulling?

Motorbreath I totally agree with part of what your saying, if you don't need a 2500/3500 don't get one but in my opinion if you are close to weights and stress about it then by all means it's a huge improvement. I drive big trucks for a living so as a daily driver I love it, I'm more comfortable in a big vehicle but parking can be a little tricky at times. We take my wife's car to a lot of our kids events and such. Not sure why you're against the 2500 tho. With 2700# payload I sure don't see an reason to increase.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #40

Trucks

Pulling the Jayco 2016 29.5 HT HBDS